opcorn:
    sigpic

Comment

• sandiego17
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Yubaking View Post
      Riiiigggghhht. And that couldn't have anything to do with the fact that we have a top 10 scoring offense this year and have scored 30+ in both of our wins.
      Defense only gave up 14pts against Dallas and none in the second half. Maybe if you watch the game 10 times, in slow motion, that might help.

Comment

• sandiego17
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by oneinchpunch View Post
        But spin they shall.
        But spinning a legitimate injury that requires season ending surgery into a comparison to Gaither is ok, as long as its anti-Freeney, right? When Freeney is asked not to come back to Charger camp than the comparison might be valid. I guess claiming a quad tear in 2013 is the logical result of a quad strain in 2009 to fit some overuse narrative isn't spin?

Spin can be that Telesco had a hall of famer backed up by a former first rounder rather than making Gaither richer and fatter than he can imagine and backing him up with an UDFA. That I would consider spin.

Comment

• sandiego17
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Den60 View Post
          I was at the game so I didn't quite get the view that someone watching on TV gets (which pisses me off to no end)
          That has to be addressed somehow.

Comment

• oneinchpunch
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by sandiego17 View Post
            But spinning a legitimate injury that requires season ending surgery into a comparison to Gaither is ok, as long as its anti-Freeney, right? When Freeney is asked not to come back to Charger camp than the comparison might be valid. I guess claiming a quad tear in 2013 is the logical result of a quad strain in 2009 to fit some overuse narrative isn't spin?

Spin can be that Telesco had a hall of famer backed up by a former first rounder rather than making Gaither richer and fatter than he can imagine and backing him up with an UDFA. That I would consider spin.
            Gaither?

Where did that come from?
            Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• sandiego17
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Gaither?

Where did that come from?
              I agree that its a bunch of crap you have to read through, but the comparison is there. See post 488.

Comment

• Geezbolt
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Sun Valley, ID
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Yubaking View Post

As Den60 noted, the team and Freeney thought that sacks were important enough to tie incentive bonuses to, not hurries or QB hits. That's because hurries and QB hits are not that valuable.
                Just because QB hurries were not an incentive in his contract does not mean they're not that valuable. My friend who is a retired NFL QB coach and OC called this morning and I asked him about that. Let me just say you made his day when I told him you said they were not that valuable. He might still be laughing.

Here are two definitions of QB hurries and apparently they are pretty important:

Hurries

NFL Definition
                What does Hurries Mean?

Hurries is a statistic kept for defensive players, usually defensive linemen, when they "hurry" the quarterback into throwing the ball before he is ready. Hurries often result in incomplete passes or even interceptions.

Hurries Definition
                Sporting Charts explains Hurries

A quarterback hurry is counted when a defender either forces a quarterback out of the pocket or pressures the throw. It doesn't necessarily mean that the defender actually forced the quarterback to make a bad throw. Hurries are often a good indicator of a team's pass rush. Just because a player is not getting sacks, it does not mean he is not a good pass rusher, because hurrying the quarterback into a poor decision can be just as effective.

Comment

• TTK
                  EX-Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • America's Finest City
                  • Send PM

Also, those stats don't measure the effect of the hurry. Maybe the QB has to check it down to his RB or FB and wound up with just a one yard gain instead of hitting a big play which was developing if the QB had another second or two.

You can't just assume that if the stat sheet says the QB still completed a pass as a result of a hurry, it was a failure.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
                    Grammar Police
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

You may be able to find a lower YPA vs that QBs norm and a lower completion %. If the presures were up and those two indicators are down then that would sugjest the net benefit of higher numbers of pressures.
                    Go Rivers!

Comment

• oneinchpunch
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Or it could have not effected the throw at all. It goes both ways. So unless the stat is "hurried into a bad pass" or "hurried into a check down/scramble" then a QB hurry doesn't really mean anything.

So far QBs have been having very good days vs the defense. So hurry or sacks or pressures aren't getting the job done.
                      Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• oneinchpunch
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Stinky Wizzleteats+ View Post
                        You may be able to find a lower YPA vs that QBs norm and a lower completion %. If the presures were up and those two indicators are down then that would sugjest the net benefit of higher numbers of pressures.
                        QBs have had some of their best games against the Chargers D.
                        Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• sandiego17
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

So hurry or sacks or pressures aren't getting the job done.
                          Very true. Agree that if you are grading hurries, you shouldn't weigh all hurries equally. Regardless, I still don't agree that his injury adds much to the discussion of whether or not it was a good or bad signing. Injuries happen. I don't agree that Freeney was any more at risk with this particular injury than Ingram was with his.

Comment

Working...
                          X