• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Ok, look, Freeney was a HORRIBLE signing! Telesco is a chump! Our defense last year was like the '84 Bears and we intentionally chose to blow it up! Abd to think we were only 4 plays from a championship last year! It totally sucks.

Now that we've all agreed can we close this down and move over to the gameday thread?

Comment

• blahblahblah
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Sep 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by oneinchpunch View Post
      It just seems like an odd stat to keep. The game he had the most hurries in was also the game that Schaub completed over 75% of his passes. And Schaub isn't a very good QB.
      Wynn's hurry of Vick sure seemed to work. The difference between Tony Romo and Tony Oh-no! was how much pressure he was under. And then we get to keep stats on how QBs perform under pressure. Yay stats!

It's a valid stat. Don't know what an invalid stat is, but I also can't see why it is so hard to understand that rushing a QB is a good thing.

Comment

• oneinchpunch
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by blahblahblah View Post
        Wynn's hurry of Vick sure seemed to work. The difference between Tony Romo and Tony Oh-no! was how much pressure he was under. And then we get to keep stats on how QBs perform under pressure. Yay stats!

It's a valid stat. Don't know what an invalid stat is, but I also can't see why it is so hard to understand that rushing a QB is a good thing.
        Hurries that result in bad plays, checkdowns or scrambles would be valid. Hurries that have no positive result for the defense? I don't see the point for such a stat.
        Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• blahblahblah
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Sep 2013
          • Send PM

Hurries that result in bad plays, checkdowns or scrambles would be valid. Hurries that have no positive result for the defense? I don't see the point for such a stat.
          So you're saying that what happens on the field matters more than the box score?

What if a pass rusher makes a good play and the QB makes a better play? What if you're playing against a mobile QB and he scrambles away in the hole where Reyes is supposed to be?

No stat is perfect. What you've described is subjective and basically what PFF does.

Comment

• oneinchpunch
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by blahblahblah View Post

No stat is perfect. What you've described is subjective and basically what PFF does.
            Really? PFF has a stat for "hurries that result in negative plays for the offense"?
            Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• blahblahblah
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Sep 2013
              • Send PM

Really? PFF has a stat for "hurries that result in negative plays for the offense"?
              I think they call it +1. Not sure of their exact grading scale.

Comment

• Den60
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by sandiego17 View Post
                Very true. Agree that if you are grading hurries, you shouldn't weigh all hurries equally. Regardless, I still don't agree that his injury adds much to the discussion of whether or not it was a good or bad signing. Injuries happen. I don't agree that Freeney was any more at risk with this particular injury than Ingram was with his.
                It isn't just the injury risk (though I would say those who are in their 30s bring a lot of injury baggage with them) it is the fact that he wasn't an OLB in the first place. We will be on the hook for another $1.5M for him next season. I'd have rather spent the Freeney money on ensuring we keep Butler. Also, I am not buying the "hurries" stat because it didn't seem to have any impact on what opposing QBs have done to us. I would say that the one unit that has had the biggest positive impact on our pass defense was the Dallas WRs. They couldn't catch a cold.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
                  Grammar Police
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Can I have the eggs bacon stats, suasage stats without the stats???
                  Go Rivers!

Comment

• thelightningwill
                    Go Aztecs and Pads
                    • Jul 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Den60 View Post
                    It isn't just the injury risk (though I would say those who are in their 30s bring a lot of injury baggage with them) it is the fact that he wasn't an OLB in the first place. We will be on the hook for another $1.5M for him next season. I'd have rather spent the Freeney money on ensuring we keep Butler. Also, I am not buying the "hurries" stat because it didn't seem to have any impact on what opposing QBs have done to us. I would say that the one unit that has had the biggest positive impact on our pass defense was the Dallas WRs. They couldn't catch a cold.
                    Not saying I was for signing Freeney in what looked like a rebuilding year, but I haven't noticed that old dudes are getting hurt any more often than the younger dudes. Gates, Hardwick and Rivers haven't missed any games this year. I think those are some of our oldest players. Meanwhile, a shit load of younger dudes are hurt and a few are out for the season.

You're wanting to extend Butler, who hasn't shown he's any more durable than Freeney. Butler has had one season out of 4 in which he didn't miss games. He missed an entire season. Last year, he missed a few games at the end of the year. And, this year, already, he's missed a game and looked pretty mangled in the last game.
                    Last edited by thelightningwill; 10-05-2013, 10:41 AM.

Comment

• homeless simpson
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by thelightningwill View Post
                      Gates, Hardwick and Rivers haven't missed any games this year.
                      it's only been 4 games. it's like when LT was with the Jets and after the first 4 games sportscasters pimped out how LT hasn't lost a step.

Comment

• Beerman
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Eastlake
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by thelightningwill View Post
                        Not saying I was for signing Freeney in what looked like a rebuilding year, but I haven't noticed that old dudes are getting hurt any more often than the younger dudes. Gates, Hardwick and Rivers haven't missed any games this year. I think those are some of our oldest players. Meanwhile, a shit load of younger dudes are hurt and a few are out for the season.

You're wanting to extend Butler, who hasn't shown he's any more durable than Freeney. Butler has had one season out of 4 in which he didn't miss games. He missed an entire season. Last year, he missed a few games at the end of the year. And, this year, already, he's missed a game and looked pretty mangled in the last game.
                        Butler has been the biggest disappointment for me this season. He's been pretty worthless for most of the season so far. Didn't have much of an impact vs. Houston. Had a decent game vs. Philly. Got injured and then had a mediocre game vs. the Cowboys. Yea he was injured, but that's the problem. Starting to look like he's not worth what he's likely asking in a contract extension. For the teams sake, he sure better have a hell of a 12 game stretch here to finish off the season.

Comment

• thelightningwill
                          Go Aztecs and Pads
                          • Jul 2013
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by homeless simpson View Post
                          it's only been 4 games. it's like when LT was with the Jets and after the first 4 games sportscasters pimped out how LT hasn't lost a step.
                          It's been 4 games and we've lost Alexander and Ingram. All but one of our starting offensive linemen have missed games. Te'o and Butler have missed games. And we've lost 2 old dudes - Freeney and Floyd.

I'd say playing in all 4 games is something worth mentioning - especially when I'm pointing out that old dudes don't get hurt anymore than the younger dudes.

Comment

Working...
                          X