Clear All
  • thelightningwill
    Go Aztecs and Pads
    • Jul 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Panama View Post
    Dude, go knock on wood or something. Seriously. :facepalm1:
    Haha.
    Superstition ain't my bag. I used to think that, if I held my foam lightning bolt above my head and pounded the asphalt with my feet at the beginning of the 2nd quarter, that that would give the Chargers 2 unanswered touchdowns. Ever since that stopped working, I moved away from that kind of logic.
    I still scream at the TV as if the coach and the announcers can hear me. But, that's not superstition. That's just insanity.

Comment

• Den60
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by thelightningwill View Post
      Not saying I was for signing Freeney in what looked like a rebuilding year, but I haven't noticed that old dudes are getting hurt any more often than the younger dudes. Gates, Hardwick and Rivers haven't missed any games this year. I think those are some of our oldest players. Meanwhile, a shit load of younger dudes are hurt and a few are out for the season.

You're wanting to extend Butler, who hasn't shown he's any more durable than Freeney. Butler has had one season out of 4 in which he didn't miss games. He missed an entire season. Last year, he missed a few games at the end of the year. And, this year, already, he's missed a game and looked pretty mangled in the last game.
      I said older players bring more injury baggage. They slow down, they tend to get worse as the season progresses. Also, like you said, this is a rebuilding year. Do you propose we should build around players in their 30s?

I'm not sure mentioning Hardwick solidifies your case. He missed games early in his career and many posters on the old board thought he was not big enough (or durable enough) to play center. He had only one complete season in his first 6. I've always been a Hardwick defender but I think it is risky not having someone behind him. I question that he will be worth keeping at $5.6M next year.

I suppose we should just write off Butler, VB and Ingram then. In fact we should plan on getting rid of Te'o too since he has a history of getting injured early in training camp and playing in only 25% of regular season games. Don't even get me started on Steve Williams.

Comment

• Den60
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by homeless simpson View Post
        it's only been 4 games. it's like when LT was with the Jets and after the first 4 games sportscasters pimped out how LT hasn't lost a step.
        Rivers can't lose what he never had lol. Gates looks slimmer this year. Rumor is that he was motivated by being dissed in the player rankings and worked harder this offseason. Of course, it could also have something to do with his foot issues getting better. But, he has quickness this year that he didn't have last year. I would say Royal has looked quicker as well.

Comment

• Den60
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by blahblahblah View Post
          You're not buying the hurries stat as it applies to Freeney or in general?
          As it applies to our pass defense in general. Like I said, our best pass defense so far was the fact that the Cowboy WRs dropped a bunch of balls.

Comment

• Den60
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Butler had 9 tackles, 4 assists and half a sack against Houston. Funny, that half a sack was with Freeney (his only sack credit also). He had 8 tackles against Dallas. I don't recall when he got hurt in Philly but I do recall Vick was doing pretty well chucking the ball to Jackson. I don't think Butler has been a disappointment but maybe he hasn't gotten the "hurries" that Freeney got.

Comment

• sandiego17
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

He's not going to get many hurries or sacks, but do expect more impact plays from him. Butler hasn't played very well so far., whatever the reason. Everyone on D has struggled, who has stood out in your opinion, butler? They did play better against Dallas, with Weddle at safety instead of LB. He wasn't a good at LB.

Comment

• richpjr
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Nashville
                • Send PM

Butler is a good player (ignoring this past game), but I'm really starting to wonder if we can rely on him staying healthy.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
                  Grammar Police
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Dwight Freeney was the team's best pass rusher and best defensive player overall early this season. He's now out for the year.

Gregg Rosenthal Around The League Editor
                  Go Rivers!

Comment

• blueman
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

But a bad signing.

Comment

• oneinchpunch
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Stinky Wizzleteats+ View Post
                      Dwight Freeney was the team's best pass rusher and best defensive player overall early this season. He's now out for the year.

Mike McCoy wouldn't let Phil Rivers throw in similar spot but Norv lets Weeden throw. Like the aggression.

Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
                        Grammar Police
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

I agree with taking the bullit away from the gunslinger when he is brand new to the system and trying to rebuild conidence behind a rag tag oline. Hardly compares to Norvs position now.
                        Go Rivers!

Comment

• Den60
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by thelightningwill View Post
                          Down 24-0 against the Lions, about to be mathematically eliminated, Donald Butler makes a sack and does a look-at-me dance. Obviously the dude isn't concerned about his team. He's concerned about himself only.
                          I know it's been a few years, but I don't forget stupid shit like that. It told me everything I needed to know about Butler's attitude.
                          Gee, what an asshole.

Comment

Working...
                          X