• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MassGeneralBolt
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

We all need to take a step back

Im guilty as are others for making emotional week to week judgements on this team, as the NFL is great because of it cause its a week to week emotional roller coaster. But what we cant forget given that we knew at the start of the season that the roster on this team is around the bottom 5-7 in terms of pure talent and depth and this IS A REBUILDING TEAM. Because we have a championship caliber qb in my mind who's better than Roethlisger and Eli Manning and a notch below Rodgers and Brees., he's able to overcome the shortcomings of this team mainly the lack of a running game that you can hang your hat on and the liability which is the defense. You cannot be a consistent winner and a playoff team without a legit defense. This defense has no pass rush, the absolute worst secondary in the game and no one who can lay the wood in the middle of the field. I really dont know how much blame Pagano deserves for this crap on display vs the lack of talent on the defense side of the ball, but we all need to lower our expectations of this team instead of calling for the head of Mccoy who clearly is going to make mistakes given he has no prior headcoaching experience. Dont get me wrong, this loss falls on the feet of Mccoy. Even if all those playcalls were from Wisenhunt, Mccoy shouldve intervened and called either three straight power runs with Matthews or playaction with Matthews on first down and 3 straight runs, I even wouldve gone for it on 4th down cause we know we cant trust this crap of a defense.

But Telesco unfortunately to date has missed with his acquisition of Cox and moving up to get Teo. Now Teo needs more time but I dont see a difference maker in this league with his play, he seems to not have the strength or speed to make an impact at this time and even if he has to make up for his deficiencies with his smarts and anticipation he lacks those at this stage of his career at the NFL level. But we need to give Mccoy 3 years before we can make judgement given the crap roster AJ left in place that theyve had to overhaul. But I said before this season, for this team to be a wild card contender they have to develop Matthews into that workhorse RB on offense and get something out of the D. You need a power running game especially down near the redzone, what boggles the mind is why even keep Matthews on the roster if you have no faith him? Either work on developing him or get rid of him but what theyre doing with him is wrecking his confidence and growth as a football player.
  • TTK
    EX-Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • America's Finest City
    • Send PM

The Mathews thing made no sense. The news the whole bye week was how the coaching staff has confidence in Mathews and that in turn has given Mathews more confidence. They've been feeding him the ball the last couple of weeks, including on the goal line. Why go away from that suddenly?

And please get rid of the Woodhead draw on the goal line. That's failed twice now. Whiz needs to watch those Sproles draw plays that Norv always called here.

Comment

• Bolt-O
      Administrator
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Nice post MGB. Not much to disagree with, but I'm thinking that Mathews will be here next season, regardless of them using him or not, since he's on contract anyway. McClain has been useless in the power game, and maybe they can't get Clary or who ever is at right guard to pull. But now the pass defense is a huge hole that I hope they can patch in time before losing out on the playoffs.

Comment

• Marshall/Boogie
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Wow. I can't believe it, but I agree w/ about 90% of an MGB post. Dogs & cats living together, raining cheetos, general chaos ensues...
        Well.. you can at least see the croutons in the dark.

Comment

• Den60
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

So, I gather we are just going to blame Norv and AJ for anything wrong with the team for the next 3 years then? Last I looked some of those AJ busts have been doing all right this year: guys like JJ, Troutman, Royal. Hell, you can read posts on this board lamenting not having McClain in at the goal line near the end of regulation. On defense TT made his choices who and who not to keep (even when money was not the issue). In my book he takes credit for that side of the ball.

Comment

• Bolt-O
            Administrator
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Den60 View Post
            So, I gather we are just going to blame Norv and AJ for anything wrong with the team for the next 3 years then? Last I looked some of those AJ busts have been doing all right this year: guys like JJ, Troutman, Royal. Hell, you can read posts on this board lamenting not having McClain in at the goal line near the end of regulation. On defense TT made his choices who and who not to keep (even when money was not the issue). In my book he takes credit for that side of the ball.
            Why did you bring up the past regime. I don't see anything in this thread that says anything about them?

Comment

• Den60
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post
              Why did you bring up the past regime. I don't see anything in this thread that says anything about them?
              " But we need to give Mccoy 3 years before we can make judgement given the crap roster AJ left in place that theyve had to overhaul." I just preemptively added Norv because he didn't "develop" players.

Comment

• Bolt-O
                Administrator
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

" But we need to give Mccoy 3 years before we can make judgement given the crap roster AJ left in place that theyve had to overhaul." I just preemptively added Norv because he didn't "develop" players.
                Sorry, missed that.

Comment

• QSmokey
                  Guardedly Optimistic
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Kuna, Idaho
                  • Retired
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Marshall/Boogie View Post
                  Wow. I can't believe it, but I agree w/ about 90% of an MGB post. Dogs & cats living together, raining cheetos, general chaos ensues...
                  I have 2 dogs and 5 cats living together.

Comment

• TTK
                    EX-Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • America's Finest City
                    • Send PM

Let's not start this old argument again.

Comment

• Beerman
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Eastlake
                      • Send PM

Judson1360: Rodney Harrison: if you can't get a foot you don't deserve to win.

Comment

• QSmokey
                        Guardedly Optimistic
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Kuna, Idaho
                        • Retired
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Beerman View Post
                        Judson1360: Rodney Harrison: if you can't get a foot you don't deserve to win.
                        I really dislike Rodney (HG)Harrison...but I could agree more with that statement.

Comment

Working...
                        X