• Show
Clear All
  • QSmokey
    Guardedly Optimistic
    • Jun 2013
    • Kuna, Idaho
    • Retired
    • Send PM

Maybe we all just need to take THREE BIG STEPS back...to keep up with the Chargers.

Comment

• Faded blues
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Aug 2013
      • Send PM

Great post mgd

I'm fine I'd Teo is a bust. Tt hit home runs with Allen and flukker. Possible future pro bowlers.

A little concerned with the conservative play calling that we have seen. I prefer the offense to uptempo , we seem to respond better.

The only call that really pissed me off was not trying a qb sneak on one of the possessions at the goal line.

Comment

• ICE
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Overall I like Mccoys playcalling (other than this past week) but one thing that he continues to do and it just kills me because I simply do not get it..... why the spread and shotgun formation in the redzone? Every now and then ok but every time? and he thinks the draw is fooling people out of that formation. Please if someone can pull the stats on the success % because I don't get the call? I am baffled he continues to do it.
        Some people say the Bolts shouldn't even be in the playoffs....

Comment

• Panama
          パナマ
          • Aug 2013
          • London
          • Opera singer and web developer.
          • Send PM

Originally posted by ICE View Post
          Overall I like Mccoys playcalling (other than this past week) but one thing that he continues to do and it just kills me because I simply do not get it..... why the spread and shotgun formation in the redzone? Every now and then ok but every time? and he thinks the draw is fooling people out of that formation. Please if someone can pull the stats on the success % because I don't get the call? I am baffled he continues to do it.
          Because statistically a run out of shotgun tends to be more successful than when the QB is lined up under center, perhaps? Or perhaps because it's demonstrably more likely for a run to succeed when the defense is spread out to cover a spread formation than bunched up in the box expecting run? And just because a run is out of the shotgun doesn't make it a draw.
          Adipose

Comment

• Beerman
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Eastlake
            • Send PM

I don't mind the shotgun in red zone, BUT if we are going to pass it, they should do more WR screens. You line up Gates and Green along with Royal or Woodhead out wide in a stacked formation and let them block. Much higher percentage play and it takes advantage of the safeties generally doubling Gates so he would take them off the line.

Comment

• TTK
              EX-Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • America's Finest City
              • Send PM

The Bears ran a shotgun draw last night and scored a TD but they did it with Matt Forte running the ball, not a tiny guy like Woodhead. They were also a few yards further back which I think actually helped rather than calling a play like that inside the one yard line.

Comment

• Wheels
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • San Diego
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Beerman View Post
                We are never gonna get anything out of him in his pressers. He's not Rex Ryan and I'm completely fine with that. You have to also give him credit for not really ever throwing anyone under the bus and taking responsibility for their play. He's just never gonna give out anything that we as fans want to hear. Coaches have been doing this for decades.
                Time to parse this pressers.

Comment

Thanks for the great post MGB. Let's not forget that our coaches are working miracles with this roster, and that Telesco has done a damned fine
                  job with the shitball he inherited in his first year. Anyone who thinks otherwise:

Comment

• RobH
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Tokyo, Japan
                    • University English Lecturer
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by TTK View Post
                    The Bears ran a shotgun draw last night and scored a TD but they did it with Matt Forte running the ball, not a tiny guy like Woodhead. They were also a few yards further back which I think actually helped rather than calling a play like that inside the one yard line.
                    Woodhead is short, but I don't know if "tiny" is an apt description. He weighs 200 lbs, and at that height and quickness, that's a lot of e=mc2.

Comment

• TTK
                      EX-Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • America's Finest City
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by RobH View Post
                      Woodhead is short, but I don't know if "tiny" is an apt description. He weighs 200 lbs, and at that height and quickness, that's a lot of e=mc2.
                      Oh, I know. I'm just saying he's not the guy I'd choose to put in with the ball on the one yard line.

Comment

• RobH
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Tokyo, Japan
                        • University English Lecturer
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by TTK View Post
                        Oh, I know. I'm just saying he's not the guy I'd choose to put in with the ball on the one yard line.
                        I agree. But if I were to use him in that situation, I'd line at least one, if not two big bodies in front of him in the backfield so that he gets lost amongst the trees, making it harder for the D to see him and react quickly. Having him out there by his lee lonesome where everyone can see him and draw a bead on him is not playing up to his strengths, IMO. I do like the way he gets positive yards out of the smallest cracks in the line, though.

Comment

• blahblahblah
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Sep 2013
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltx View Post
                          Apparently "McCoy is not the guy" after 8 games.

I guess we can add Te'o to that list.

8 game audition, everyone.

Tough loss to swallow, but I still stand by my assertion that this team will take a significant leap forward next year. I still very much like the direction we are taking. Hopefully McCoy learns from some of the questionable playcalling issues; don't see why a young guy like him wouldn't.

He just doesn't seem to have the physical tools to compete at this level. I'm okay with rookies making mental mistakes. I'm okay with vets losing physical tools.

I'm not okay with vets making mental mistakes. An I'm not okay with rookies who just can't physically compete.

Maybe it's the injury. Maybe it's hesitation. But I just don't see either strength or acceleration out of him.

Comment

Working...
                          X