• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Den60
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post
    Not so sure about that. See: Gaither and Meachump.
    Those were AJ signings while Cox is TT's.

Comment

• Den60
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Panama View Post
      I like Wright a lot. Have since last season. But he, too, has been beat a fair number of times this season.

Like I said, I don't deny that Cox has been awful. In fact, I might feel more comfortable with Patrick starting over Cox at the moment. But I do feel very strongly that Cox would not suck as badly with a decent pass rush, and that it is smarter to spend the money to fix the pass rush than to cut Cox, absorb his dead money into the cap hit, and then have to find a replacement.

I fear I may not be stating my position very well, so let me try to restate:

We have to upgrade secondary and pass rush.

If we cut Cox, we then have Cox's dead money against the cap, and we still have to find another CB. Essentially, we'd be paying for 2 CBs while only getting 1, and we wouldn't be able to spend that money bolstering the pass rush.

But if we keep Cox, we don't then have dead money plus the salary of his replacement. We can spend that money on upgrading the pass rush. And because we have a better pass rush, in theory Cox would suck less (or his suckiness would be less exposed).

And I made this point because a parallel had been drawn to Gaither and Meachem, and I don't think the situations are analogous for the very reason that Cox's suckiness can be mitigated with improvements elsewhere while Gaither and Meachem were unsalvageable.
      To me Cox just looks wimpy out there and he can't tackle and then you add that he isn't quite as good in coverage as was said to be... well, that doesn't leave much to salvage in my book. He sticks for one more year because we really can't afford to cut him and he is one of the signature free agent signings by TT this year but I really don't think he brings anything more than what we had in Cason and he is doing it at 5 times the cost.

Comment

• OhioBolt
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

I don't think Cox gets cut going into 2014 even though his level of play sucks. He is here for the following reasons

Overall corner talent on our team is down right anorexic . Wright, Patrick is okay, like him better as a nickel and special teams play, Marshall, Crezido Butler, that's it, Williams come back in 2014, I expect Butler and Marshall not to be on the roster next year, so you have only three known corners with playing experience Cox, Wright, and Patrick, and Williams is an unknown, but hopefully he can step up so that is four corners. His salary cap hit, even though others were let go with high-caps, this was TT big signing and he well be given a chance to rebound from what has been a horrible season thus far.

Comment

• Panama
          パナマ
          • Aug 2013
          • London
          • Opera singer and web developer.
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Den60 View Post
          To me Cox just looks wimpy out there and he can't tackle and then you add that he isn't quite as good in coverage as was said to be... well, that doesn't leave much to salvage in my book. He sticks for one more year because we really can't afford to cut him and he is one of the signature free agent signings by TT this year but I really don't think he brings anything more than what we had in Cason and he is doing it at 5 times the cost.
          Perhaps I expressed myself poorly, but this is essentially what I am saying. He sticks because of the contract situation. I guess the only difference is I added that with a better pass rush he'll suck less.
          Adipose

Comment

• Den60
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Panama View Post
            Perhaps I expressed myself poorly, but this is essentially what I am saying. He sticks because of the contract situation. I guess the only difference is I added that with a better pass rush he'll suck less.
            I agree and have made this point routinely for the past 5 years or so. This is why I wanted an OLB in the first (and that was when we were figuring Ingram on the other side). Still, I think Pagano has to be drug kicking and screaming to put pressure on a QB. He just seems more comfortable dropping guys in coverage than he is with trying to generate pressure.

Comment

Working...
            X