• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vinabolt
    Vietnamese Chargers' Fan
    • Feb 2015
    • Send PM

Our offense sucks, no doubt about it. But the schedule doesn't help, either. Our offense have faced the likes of DEN (2 times), KC, MIA, NYG (they underperform but still the most expensive defense with a lot of talents), NE. Only OAK defense is suck and we only scored 17 pts against them, that's really sad.

It doesn't get any better with JAX and BUF coming up. But it's easier a bit after the BUF game.

NE, there is a perception that their defense suck, first impression early in the season is what people remember the most. They currently 18th in scoring defense, gave up 22.5 pts a game, but last 4 games they gave up only 12.75 a game, best in the league, including that 7 pts which they happily gave up to Julio Jones, a meaningless TD. That game could've easily been a shutout.

Grant, in those 4 games the offenses they faced (TB, NYJ, ATL, LAC) are talented Fantasy Football wise, but only middle of the pack in scoring offense. Their defensive performances still impressive with domination like that, however.

I only count score as a measurement of how well a defense plays because score is the only thing that actually count. You score more than the opponents to make the playoff and win the SB. Plus the fact that Belichick defense always given up a ton of yards in a deceptive kind of way since the NYG, CLE days. His defense given up yards to midfield, to FG range area, and tighten up in those areas. His defense also given up tons of garbage time yardage. In their soft zone scheme their players play really safe willing to give up things underneath whenever they're safely ahead in the game.
    Last edited by vinabolt; 10-30-2017, 05:24 PM.
    Follow me and my wife here: https://twitter.com/gossip_lady_se

Comment

• WindsorUK
      WindsorUK commented
      Editing a comment
      "I only count score as a measurement of how well a defense plays because score is the only thing that actually count"
      While that is true, you've also got to take into account how often the O or ST's give up points or short fields.
      Pick 6's, safety's, and K/P returns are scored with the D on the sidelines, and the huge amount of INT's and fumbles the past 3 or 4 years have led to multiple short fields for the opposition. The D can stop the opponent for no yards on 3 downs yet get dinged with a FG because ST or O have given up field position. Not all points are attributable to them.
      Our scoring D is very solid we just need to figure out how to tackle and stop a 3rd and long( I've been saying that for YEARS!)

• vinabolt
      vinabolt commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, I see your point. The turnovers/takeaways also important. But overall, scoring is the main measurement of how an offense or defense performs.
      Last edited by vinabolt; 10-30-2017, 05:43 PM.

• richpjr
      richpjr commented
      Editing a comment
      Scoring is also massively affect by field position. Starting out inside our 20 like we seem to do over and over again because of how bad our special teams are and our bend but don't break defense leaves us with a really long field and the odds of scoring are massively reduced by it.
  • rustybolt
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Aug 2017
    • Send PM

Half way through the season I think it's a big enough sample to see what is trending on the team via the coaching staff.

Lynn is a poor man's HC who makes questionable decisions in his game day management. His staff, particularly on offense seems disoriented at times. River's frustration is very clear and for the first time he's showing it.

Their top pick this year was Mike Williams a WR with a total of 2 catches for the year and missed all the OTA's and TC, i.e. he's a total non-factor as a rookie. That shouldn't happen with a 7th overall pick. Instead they have a player that is one hit away from a career ending back injury. We can only hope he develops into the impact player they need him to be. But I see a player that needs intensive coaching because he still lacks the burst or crisp route running to get separation at the top of his routes. He's got only average speed for the position and needs to simply use his bulk and length to make jump ball receptions which is a concern with a guy with a bad back.. As a long strider it's going to be hard for him to develop a bust to separate. He's going to have to learn to fake his coverage out to gain that step. The difference with Williams compared to VJ and Floyd is they were much faster WR's. Williams is a Z or Y WR because he struggles with press coverage and runs like a TE more than an outside WR in the NFL.

Dean ruined this team when he put his son in charge. John is simply over his head and it shows in his choice or GM and HC. You can't win when you go shopping on the cheap for guys to fill those positions. They passed on Arians to begin with and McVay more recently. Their choice for HC was a guy whose top experience was as a position coach for a 4 or 5 man unit. It's clear Lynn is not ready for prime time. Maybe in a couple of years but it will be too late.

This team has enough talent to be competitive but not enough to overcome their own mistakes. Those mistakes reflect poor coaching and a lack of discipline in their play. That is where strong leadership at the top is required and I don't see it in Lynn. We saw the real Lynn offense at the beginning of the season with his predictable two runs and a 3rd down pass, over and over again. That might work with a dominating oline which is something they don't have. He wasn't good enough of a HC to see that. When they returned to being primarily a passing attack they started to win. The passing was setting up the run and why Gordon actually began to have an impact. It forced defenses out of a stacked early down box.

Tyrell and Travis both drop way too many balls. Tyrell still can't catch reliably with his hands. If the pass isn't on his body, he struggles. Travis Benjamin has hurt this team as much or more than helped it. You can see he's not a team player, and it shows in his play. These things reflect problems in the coaching. It didn't help when they traded Inman who has better hands than Tyrell and Travis and runs better routes than either. You can see, Rivers doesn't trust TW and TB and leans totally on Keenan Allen when it counts. If Keenan goes down this offense will evaporate. Allen's receptions are what is allowing Gordon to run. Once the passing game evaporates it will return to stacked boxes and 3 and outs.

It's the defense that is keeping them in games and setting up the offense. This offense isn't as good as it might look at times. They have to win with 2 and 3 man routes because they are in max portect to give Rivers time to throw. This offense used to thrive on RB and TE receptions. But now they aren't....has that gone un-noticed? It's because they are kept in for max protection.

Bottom line is that there are ways to compensate for their issues. But it starts and ends with good coaching. It's clear Lynn isn't a strong coach, and the Charger's lack of discipline is their own worst enemy. That my friends lies at the feet of the HC.

Comment

• OhioBolt
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Crazy thing is we thought we would be deep at WR Benjamin was thought to improve upon last years lack luster season and he has been boom or bust and his bust have been bad. Tyrell is just baffling to me has a break out season, looks good in training camp and still needs to work on improving route running but the drops is totally unacceptable. The whole receiving crew is out of sync Gates should retire after this season Hunter Henry a star in the making doesn't get targeted enough. Keenan can has been targeted 72 time and only has 40 catches. Rivers seems off also, the offense as a whole has struggled which I didn't see coming.

Comment

• Steve
        Administrator
        • Jun 2013
        • South Carolina
        • Meteorologist
        • Send PM

Originally posted by rustybolt View Post
        Half way through the season I think it's a big enough sample to see what is trending on the team via the coaching staff.

Lynn is a poor man's HC who makes questionable decisions in his game day management. His staff, particularly on offense seems disoriented at times. River's frustration is very clear and for the first time he's showing it.
        It takes time for a new coach to make their imprint on the team. Most of these players spent their entire careers under McCoy and it takes time to unlearn those things.

Their top pick this year was Mike Williams a WR with a total of 2 catches for the year and missed all the OTA's and TC, i.e. he's a total non-factor as a rookie. That shouldn't happen with a 7th overall pick. Instead they have a player that is one hit away from a career ending back injury. We can only hope he develops into the impact player they need him to be. But I see a player that needs intensive coaching because he still lacks the burst or crisp route running to get separation at the top of his routes. He's got only average speed for the position and needs to simply use his bulk and length to make jump ball receptions which is a concern with a guy with a bad back.. As a long strider it's going to be hard for him to develop a bust to separate. He's going to have to learn to fake his coverage out to gain that step. The difference with Williams compared to VJ and Floyd is they were much faster WR's. Williams is a Z or Y WR because he struggles with press coverage and runs like a TE more than an outside WR in the NFL.
        Where to start on this. 1st, speed is completely overrated among WR. Remember Jimmy Oliver and Johnnie the Rocket Barnes. They are easily the 2 fastest Charger WR ever. Neither was ever any good. Not even close to good. If you expected Williams to show sprinter speed, then you clearly never saw him play in college, because he never was a speed guy. Any WR has to learn to run routes, no matter how fast they are, and that is just always the way it has been, and the way it always will be.

Dean ruined this team when he put his son in charge. John is simply over his head and it shows in his choice or GM and HC. You can't win when you go shopping on the cheap for guys to fill those positions. They passed on Arians to begin with and McVay more recently. Their choice for HC was a guy whose top experience was as a position coach for a 4 or 5 man unit. It's clear Lynn is not ready for prime time. Maybe in a couple of years but it will be too late.
        I don't know any of that is clear (except maybe the part about Dean). Arians has had 2 good years, and 2 not so great years. Before we anoint him, he is also getting close to the end of the line. I might have hired Mcvay as the HC over Lynn, but I don't think either is experienced enough as a coordinator yet. Both teams have given their new HC a lot of support in their staff, in terms of offensive and defensive guys who are former HC on the staff. half a season is a bit early to pass judgement on a guy (see above).

This team has enough talent to be competitive but not enough to overcome their own mistakes. Those mistakes reflect poor coaching and a lack of discipline in their play. That is where strong leadership at the top is required and I don't see it in Lynn. We saw the real Lynn offense at the beginning of the season with his predictable two runs and a 3rd down pass, over and over again. That might work with a dominating oline which is something they don't have. He wasn't good enough of a HC to see that. When they returned to being primarily a passing attack they started to win. The passing was setting up the run and why Gordon actually began to have an impact. It forced defenses out of a stacked early down box.
        How are we supposed to improve the OL and learn to run block if they don't keep at it? If you don't practice it and do it, you will never get better at it. Some of the growing pains our offense is showing is do to the fact that we keep trying to do the take what they give us mentality, which means we let the other team decide how the game will be played. Other teams like dictating to us. We have to get better. At least this season, with guys like Pulley, Schofeild, Feeney and Wiggins in the lineup, there is some help that our OL will improve. Under McCoy, we went after vet OL and if they didn't pan out, those guys were already at the peak of their ability. No where to go but down. Look at the run blocking vs Pats, it was a lot better.

Tyrell and Travis both drop way too many balls. Tyrell still can't catch reliably with his hands. If the pass isn't on his body, he struggles. Travis Benjamin has hurt this team as much or more than helped it. You can see he's not a team player, and it shows in his play. These things reflect problems in the coaching. It didn't help when they traded Inman who has better hands than Tyrell and Travis and runs better routes than either. You can see, Rivers doesn't trust TW and TB and leans totally on Keenan Allen when it counts. If Keenan goes down this offense will evaporate. Allen's receptions are what is allowing Gordon to run. Once the passing game evaporates it will return to stacked boxes and 3 and outs.
        Benjamin is still an asset to the team. He comes out on the plus side (barely). Both TB and TW would be bigger assets if the pass protection was any good. And both are still developing. TW is in his 2nd year as a starter, he will continue to improve. TB was not even brought in to be a major weapon on O, he was primarly a ST guy in Cleveland, so he was also raw. Both are developing, if somewhat more slowly than we need. Both will be fine.

It's the defense that is keeping them in games and setting up the offense. This offense isn't as good as it might look at times. They have to win with 2 and 3 man routes because they are in max portect to give Rivers time to throw. This offense used to thrive on RB and TE receptions. But now they aren't....has that gone un-noticed? It's because they are kept in for max protection.
        I don't know how to read this at all. While the Wr, QB, RB and TE spots are fine, the OL is work in progress. So, half our offense is struggling, and it shows.

Bottom line is that there are ways to compensate for their issues. But it starts and ends with good coaching. It's clear Lynn isn't a strong coach, and the Charger's lack of discipline is their own worst enemy. That my friends lies at the feet of the HC.
        Name the ways to compensate. Please be specific? What we are struggling with is a poor roster in some places and where we are weak, we are REALLY weak. There are plenty of good to great coaches that are not anywhere near as good as Lynn has been. Bill Walsh comes to mind. Since you cannot change HC in the middle of a season (OK you can, but it always ends badly), you could give the guy a chance.

Comment

• vinabolt
          Vietnamese Chargers' Fan
          • Feb 2015
          • Send PM

LAC under Lynn this year so far can be sum up to 1 sentence: The team play hard enough but not smart enough, and therefore not good enough. Hopefully things will improve in the 2nd half of the season.
          Follow me and my wife here: https://twitter.com/gossip_lady_se

Comment

• OhioBolt
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by vinabolt View Post
            LAC under Lynn this year so far can be sum up to 1 sentence: The team play hard enough but not smart enough, and therefore not good enough. Hopefully things will improve in the 2nd half of the season.
            2nd Half the Offense needs to pick it up period, and play calling needs to be better and incorporate Hunter Henry more, and one of the Williams or both need to pick their game up.

The D has improved we need to get consistent in stopping the run and better safety play which I don't see happening Addae & Boston they are who they are and have reached their ceiling and it is pretty low. So with the deficiencies at safety we need the other 9 guys to be on top of their game and hopefully Perryman comes back and makes an impact. Bosa and Ingram could both end up with 15 sacks a piece if not more both are at 8.5.

2nd Half can be interesting for sure!
            Last edited by OhioBolt; 11-01-2017, 01:47 PM.

Comment

• whookimane
              Registered Charger Fan
              • May 2017
              • Send PM

The team currently sits at 3-5 but could/should be 5-3 but younghoe koo choked on a kick and dan feeney has horrible n allowed a kick to be blocked. I dont really blame lynn for koo choking and for feeney missing a block. The roster has enough talent to be competitive and eventhough they are 3-5 they have been in every game they have played. The roster probably has enough talent to win 9 games and theres still time left that i think they will probably wind up with 7 wins. The 2 games they choked away were the difference and I dont really put that on lynn. My biggest issue with the coaching staff is the offense n wisenhunt its painfully predictable.

Also to the guy talking about Mike Williams not having the speed of Vincent Jackson (he actually does VJ wasnt very fast) but he missed all of training camp and has played like 10 snaps a game you cant write him off because he only has 2 catches in like 20 snaps.

Comment

• richpjr
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Nashville
                • Send PM

Originally posted by whookimane View Post
                The team currently sits at 3-5 but could/should be 5-3 but younghoe koo choked on a kick and dan feeney has horrible n allowed a kick to be blocked. I dont really blame lynn for koo choking and for feeney missing a block. The roster has enough talent to be competitive and eventhough they are 3-5 they have been in every game they have played. The roster probably has enough talent to win 9 games and theres still time left that i think they will probably wind up with 7 wins. The 2 games they choked away were the difference and I dont really put that on lynn. My biggest issue with the coaching staff is the offense n wisenhunt its painfully predictable.

Also to the guy talking about Mike Williams not having the speed of Vincent Jackson (he actually does VJ wasnt very fast) but he missed all of training camp and has played like 10 snaps a game you cant write him off because he only has 2 catches in like 20 snaps.
                The problem is, this same stuff happened under McCoy. We lost all of those close games the past couple of years under him because we couldn't make one or two more plays in a game. I really haven't seen much difference in that area so far.

Comment

• whookimane
                  whookimane commented
                  Editing a comment
                  We lost tons of games that we had huge leads and choked them away because Mccoy would start getting extremely conservative and would coach not to lose instead of to win. I dont think thats true of the close games we lost this year.

• richpjr
                  richpjr commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The point I was trying to make was that anyone on the O, D or ST makes one or two more plays in those games under McCoy, even though he played conservatively, would have made the difference between a win and a loss. We just didn't/don't have players making many plays in the clutch. Now we have Bosa jumping offsides, Rivers not making it to the endzone with a hail Mary pass, TB running backwards, kickers missing fgs, and on and on. Make just one or two of those plays and the game can turn out differently. We rarely didn't under McCoy and we haven't under Lynn.
              • Coachmarkos
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • SoDak
                • Technology Director
                • Send PM

I do think the lack of Offensive production can be attributed to McCoy leaving. Not saying he was a good game day coach, but that man could gameplan. Nearly every game the team would march down the field and score on the first possession.

This season, first possession seems to be a 3 and out, most of the time.

Lynn has done some good things. Most importantly, the changes he made to strength/conditioning and training have led to many less injuries. It just has.
                -I like his "go for it" mentality on the opponents Goal Line. He's got a bit of a toughness and some stubbornness about him, that I like.

Then again, I have no faith in him when he goes for the challenge flag. And time management? Lots of issues, from getting the playcalls in and snapped, to Benjamin not running out of Bounds... to that drive against the Dolphins that just sputtered and fell apart without a ball spike... Not So Good.

He still "Incomplete" but he's a bit better than I thought he was at the start. But there's always time for regression.
                "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

• Sgt Schultz
                  Bandwagon since 8/6/1960
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Palm Springs
                  • I know nothing
                  • Send PM

Seven Coaching Decisions That Came Back to Bite the Chargers in New England

https://www.boltsfromtheblue.com/201...gland-patriots

I realize that somebody will call this just some "fan boys" opinion but it much smarter than mine so tell me where you disagree.
                  Last edited by Sgt Schultz; 11-02-2017, 01:05 PM. Reason: to add title

Comment

• jamrock
                    jamrock commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Didn't need to go for it on 4th and 8 from the 26 at the end. If Bosa hadn't jumped offsides on 3rd and 5 OR if benjamin had gone out of bounds on the Chargers finals drive they would have had enough time to complete the comeback.
                • Fleet
                  TPB Founder
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Cardiff - Poipu
                  • Send PM

I could see Lynn pushing the GM to draft a mobile QB like Lamar Jackson. This forum would melt down if that happened. I really do think Lynn prefers a guy who can run. I still wonder of there is something going on between Whiz and Lynn. And its affected Rivers. I dont know...something is off.

Comment

• blueman
                    blueman commented
                    Editing a comment
                    This.

• whookimane
                    whookimane commented
                    Editing a comment
                    If the chargers drafted a mobile qb I would be thrilled. You are suggesting this forum would melt down in anger or in excitement?

• Fleet
                    Fleet commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I think there are many here who feel that most QBs who are RG3 types wont last in the NFL. They almost always suffer season ending injuries for some reason. Watson. RG3. Marriota. And often times are run first guys and are not very good passers. I dont know what to think about Jackson. But he sure is fun to watch run the ball. He needs a lot of work in the passing game.
                • Sgt Schultz
                  Bandwagon since 8/6/1960
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Palm Springs
                  • I know nothing
                  • Send PM

Look what happens to mobile QBs.... Been true before and again today

Comment

• whookimane
                    whookimane commented
                    Editing a comment
                    What happens to mobile qbs? they win games?

• richpjr
                    richpjr commented
                    Editing a comment
                    They take a lot of extra hits.
                Working...
                X