• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • blueman
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Focusing on doing one thing/beating one team could do a lot. Figure out the Chiefs.

Comment

• oneinchpunch
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post
      OK, now its the time for the evaluation.

B... didn't make the playoffs, but turned the chicken shit of the move and the start into chicken salad. Biggest error might have been the pick of the PK, but he also held the team back initially to get the run game going. In the end, it looked like he let Whiz take over, and the running game all of a sudden showed up. Best move was hiring Gus Bradley.

I feel better than when McCoy made it into the playoffs in his first year. There was something 'soft' about the team after that playoff visit... maybe McCoy just didn't hold the team accountable, and Lynn does. He does have to figure out Kansas City, because I think that willl be the first game next season and winning the 1st quarter will be critical.
      I feel a lot better than I did when Norv or McCoy took over
      Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• blueman
        blueman commented
        Editing a comment
        In hindsight, agreed.
    • Coachmarkos
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • SoDak
      • Technology Director
      • Send PM

Lynn did some good things.

1. Most importantly, he fixed the injury bug. Particularly along the Offensive Line. This was and has been the biggest problem with this team the past few years.
      2. He "got out of the way" of the playcalling. I don't know how much he was involved...but it seemed pretty obvious when the offense went back to looking like the one Whisenhunt ran his first time here. Let the coordinators coordinate.
      3. He kept the team invested and motivated, even through tough times. That's a leader.

He did some bad things.
      1. Kicker. Yeah, I can understand the kicker troubles...but it's ridiculous that our kicking situation was that bad. AND, also of note... too many blocked FG's.
      2. The 0-4 start. You can't convince me that the 0-4 start wasn't directly related to our offensive playcalling early in the year. How many times did we complain about the Run/Run/Pass, predictability of the offense. NO Way they lose that first Denver Game, the Miami game, or the Philly game...and Philly had a good team.

I can't say I feel better about him than I did the first year of McCoy, because McCoy went to the playoffs, and won a playoff game... and beat Denver in Denver in the regular season (when they were Super Bowl favorites). Then McCoy started his 2nd season 5-1.

So although things ended well, and I am very glad they did... I think he was an overall positive change, and I hope that that positive change will continue. But it's too early to say it's "turned around". It's trending in the right direction, and that's good.
      "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

• vinabolt
        Vietnamese Chargers' Fan
        • Feb 2015
        • Send PM

Yeah, all in all, I'm not a fan of him yet. Let see how he goes in his sophomore season. I also not sure if demanding accountability by calling out your own players in public media is a good way to do things. They are demanding as hell in Foxboro and I never hear 1 coach critilize their own players in the media. The coaches do mess up as much as the players too. So I don't know if it's fair critilize the players publicly like that. Imagine players do that to coaches when the playcalling / gameplan messed up. Listen to Belichick, he always say this after a loss: "We need to coach better, we need to play better".

Also, Lynn supposed to be a run blocking guru. And this OL was one of the weakest in run blocking, especially interior.
        Follow me and my wife here: https://twitter.com/gossip_lady_se

Comment

• Formula 21
          The Future is Now
          • Jun 2013
          • Republic of San Diego
          • Send PM

The Bolts need to fix September. Stop the slow starts.
          Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
          The Wasted Decade is done.
          Build Back Better.

Comment

• Boltx
            Dominate the day
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by coachmarkos View Post
            Lynn did some good things.

1. Most importantly, he fixed the injury bug. Particularly along the Offensive Line. This was and has been the biggest problem with this team the past few years.
            2. He "got out of the way" of the playcalling. I don't know how much he was involved...but it seemed pretty obvious when the offense went back to looking like the one Whisenhunt ran his first time here. Let the coordinators coordinate.
            3. He kept the team invested and motivated, even through tough times. That's a leader.

He did some bad things.
            1. Kicker. Yeah, I can understand the kicker troubles...but it's ridiculous that our kicking situation was that bad. AND, also of note... too many blocked FG's.
            2. The 0-4 start. You can't convince me that the 0-4 start wasn't directly related to our offensive playcalling early in the year. How many times did we complain about the Run/Run/Pass, predictability of the offense. NO Way they lose that first Denver Game, the Miami game, or the Philly game...and Philly had a good team.

I can't say I feel better about him than I did the first year of McCoy, because McCoy went to the playoffs, and won a playoff game... and beat Denver in Denver in the regular season (when they were Super Bowl favorites). Then McCoy started his 2nd season 5-1.

So although things ended well, and I am very glad they did... I think he was an overall positive change, and I hope that that positive change will continue. But it's too early to say it's "turned around". It's trending in the right direction, and that's good.
            Well said.

People need to temper their expectations a bit until we see some consistent winning. McCoy was supposed to be the savior too, remember?

I see people already predicting 11-5 and AFC champs next year....slow down. We didn't beat one single quality opponent this year and the team we need to beat....KC....outclassed us in both games and has swept us 4 years in a row now.

I like the improvement but we have a ways to go.
            ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

• blueman
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Yes we do have a ways to go but we have good pieces in place, ascending talent all over the place, plus Rivers. And KC looked like crap for a good chunk of the season. Color my expectations high.

Comment

• oneinchpunch
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

USA Today’s Jarrett Bell discusses Anthony Lynn’s impact entering Year 2 with the Chargers.
                2018 Expectations for the Chargers

\
                Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• Coachmarkos
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • SoDak
                  • Technology Director
                  • Send PM

Best Thing Lynn did was hire 2 good coordinators and keep them. And let them do their thing.

I do like him though. Seems like the kind of guy who is tough, but fair. Players respect that type of thing.
                  "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

• Rugger05
                    Administrator
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by coachmarkos View Post
                    Best Thing Lynn did was hire 2 good coordinators and keep them. And let them do their thing.

I do like him though. Seems like the kind of guy who is tough, but fair. Players respect that type of thing.
                    I am looking forward to seeing Lynn grow into the position.

I agree having Whiz & Bradley helps. Hopefully he doesn't meddle too much with Whiz, because i felt at the beginning of the year Lynn told Whiz to run the ball more.

Comment

• Coachmarkos
                      Coachmarkos commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Agree. I thought they tried to force the run game a little early...and I think Lynn eventually just let Whiz do his thing.
                      To be expected though, a career RB coach, and an OC to want to "make his mark" on the offense.
                  • richpjr
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Nashville
                    • Send PM

Bumping this thread for something I heard when listening to Will Brinson today on the radio.

He made a comment today that the Chargers are a "very flawed team that is poorly coached" and that Lynn seems like a nice guy but "is a poor coach and his team makes mistakes all the time". He had an article after the Rams game calling out Lynn for kicking a fg with 11:49 left when we were down by 15. There was another article by a different writer at CBS also critical of Lynn - evidently they aren't Lynn fans.

Do you think we are poorly coached?

Comment

• oneinchpunch
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Who is Will Brinston?
                      Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

Working...
                      X