• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chris9341
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jul 2013
    • Send PM

I don't doubt that Jackson can throw the ball. When Geno Smith was at West Virginia he could also throw the ball and Robert Griffin and they could all throw and scramble. Now translate that to the NFL and they played like they were still in college and want to show there running ability and it's probably the main reason why robert griffin is'nt in the NFL and why he has not been the same since suffering his injury a few years ago. They do not know how to stay in the pocket because there natural ability is telling them to start running. Now obviously kaepernick is not in the NFL for other reasons besides just being a horrible QB. Kaepernick is a perfect example of a QB who had all the natural ability to run with the ball but when teams starting to prepare for that the 49ers tried to get him to stay in the pocket he was horrible. So as I already said if Lamar Jackson is willing to learn a few years behind Phillip Rivers and learn how to stay in the pocket then if the chargers do happen to select him then I will support him as our future QB. But we all know it's a moot point because I just have this feeling they will select a DT or a linebacker with there first pick, preferably a DT.

Comment

• Boltx
      Dominate the day
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Give me a "running QB" like Aaron Rodgers.

Sneaky fast.
      ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

• Fleet
        TPB Founder
        • Jun 2013
        • Cardiff - Poipu
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post
        Smith got $2m from the giants for his one year deal last season. That is the ballpark he probably got from bolts.
        1 million of that was in per game bonuses that he didnt see. He made around 1 mil.

Comment

• Heatmiser
          BetterToday ThanYesterday
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Of all these Qb, I think Mayfield will be the best one. Jackson has a lot of physical ability but he is great one throw then air mails the next one. Darnold and Rosen I feel are going to be disappointments. Allen can be great on the right team, given time to develop. He has the highest ceiling but Mayfield is the best leader and most ready.

TG
          Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• bonehead
            Undrafted
            • Jul 2013
            • TBD
            • Retired
            • Send PM

Forget it Donny you're out of your element

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

• Screeme
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by chris9341 View Post
              When is the last time anyone here has seen a QB like the kind anthony lynn wants be successful in the NFL with the exception of Michael Vick and to a degree Steve Young? Look I know that Phillip Rivers will need to be replaced eventually as the chargers QB but there is a reason QB's like Geno smith and Kaepernick are not successful in the NFL and that is they do not have the ability to stay in the pocket and be good at it. When the 49ers tried to get kaepernick to stay in the pocket he was horrible. Now you take a player like Marriota who has the ability to stay in the pocket or scrample when he needs to. Now i'm not saying i'm against us drafting Lamar Jackson but if you are going to draft a player like him then make sure he can stand in the pocket and being able to stand there a few secs before throwing or deciding to scramble. Now on to Geno Smith the fact is he is a charger now so even though we all know he sucks I will support him and hopefully him and Cardale Jones can battle who wins the backup spot behind Rivers.
              Can Newton and Kaepernick made the super bowl. Russell Wilson has won one and could have been two.. (should have, as everyone who lives around me would attest) That's just off the top of my head.

I'm not a fan of Geno, don't get me wrong. But teams are figuring out what these QBs bring.

Comment

• chris9341
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jul 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Screeme View Post

Can Newton and Kaepernick made the super bowl. Russell Wilson has won one and could have been two.. (should have, as everyone who lives around me would attest) That's just off the top of my head.

I'm not a fan of Geno, don't get me wrong. But teams are figuring out what these QBs bring.
                Well I would argue that those teams defense got them to the superbowl more then there ability did. Please don't put Kaepernick in the same category as Cam Newton and Russell Wilson. Those two can actually stay in the pocket and thats the point I'm trying to make about Lamar Jackson. Does Lamar Jackson have the ability to stay in the pocket? I guess we will find out on draft day depending on what team takes him.

Comment

• RTPbolt
                  Charger Fan till the end
                  • Jun 2013
                  • North Carolina
                  • Send PM

How about staying healthy. Rivers the statue never missed a start......all the others have been injured multiple times even. Mobile qbs are great in paper but they get hit in stride and take unneeded injuries due to their running the ball like a back. A 65-70% passer that reads defenses still wins championships and I would be cringing every escaped pocket with a running qb.

Geno is a backup but younger thsn Clemmons....i hated the latters inability to run a drive...horrid consistency andd accuracy. Im glad hes gone.

Comment

• Steve
                    Administrator
                    • Jun 2013
                    • South Carolina
                    • Meteorologist
                    • Send PM

The most effective QB are the ones who throw first, and use the scrambling and running as more of a change of pace. Every few years for as long as I have been following football, someone comes along and everyone gets all excited about the "NEW GENERATION OF RUNNING QB", only to have them fade and disappear in a year or two.

The guys like Russell Wilson, Aron Rodgers, Kirk Cousins, Alex Smith.... guys who have some mobility, but are mostly passers can make some big plays. But no player can run fast enough to stretch a field better than a ball that is thrown.

Every once in a while a guy like Michael Vick or Tim Tebow comes along. They were able to take advantage of their ability as runners, and the situation in the NFL at the time. Vick was able to beat defenses because when he was selected by Atlanta, the only way to beat a zone running attack was to have your DE or OLB chase the play down from behind. THen Vick started running bootlegs and getting outside the backside pursuit and suddenly he was off to the races. You could try and stop their RB or Vick, but no one did both. Then defenses caught up with it and suddenly Vick was not that special anymore, and had to learn how to throw. Tim Tebow came along just as NFL teams were experimenting with the new version of the option (zone read) and then the NFL lockout kept teams from working on fundamentals like tackling. Suddenly, defenses didn't know how to defend the play, and even if they did, they didn't tackle well. But everyone caught up to them when NE showed everyone how to do it, and Tebow was quickly out of the NFL.

Geno Smith is a good camp arm, who has enough talent to push player around him. He isn't a starter, but he is physically more gifted than most NFL backups. That gives us an NFL starter caliber thrower who gives our backup D and backup receivers quality reps to practice against. It gives us a top notch running QB look for the offseason program. But like Fleet said, we still need at least 1 more camp arm (minimum) to just run practices. Smith's signing doesn't prevent us from drafting a QB. Rivers will start, and we have a strong enough roster we can still pick a top QB if one we like is there. But we can also afford to ignore QB and not reach.

A lot of TT FA signings are about getting a so-so guy so that we don't HAVE to do anything. He doesn't have to reach in the draft, and can go after good players. TT is one of the few GM's who really doesn't draft for need, and signing guys like Jeylon Watkins and Vergil Green may be boring picks, but they serve a purpose. We don't have a gapping hole, and that is the point in FA.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                      Dont let the PBs fool ya
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Henderson, NV
                      • Send PM

Imo any college QB who cant complete 60% of his passes isn't very accurate and it won't get easier in the NFL.

Comment

• Steve
                        Administrator
                        • Jun 2013
                        • South Carolina
                        • Meteorologist
                        • Send PM

Completion percentage in college is as much or more about what kind of offense you are playing in.

If you are referring to Allen, he throws a lot more downfield than a lot of college QB. So many spread QB throw a large percentage of bubble screens, that even the short passing element of the Wyoming passing game is significantly further downfield. Many of the spread crowd are going to see their competition percentages tank when they have to start moving their feet and throwing real NFL passes where you have to drop to get in synch with the receviers.

The bigger issue I have with Allen over so many of the other college QB is that Allen has played under center. He calls plays, audibles and knows how to drop back to pass, which is foreign to so many of the dink and dunk/spread QB. Spread coaches encourage many of the bad habits that these spread QB have to overcome. The grip and rip coaching crowd are not helping NFL prospects with their high school offenses.

I still think Kyle Lauletta is the best college QB, and in large part, it is because he has pro style mechanics even when Richmond had him throwing in the spread.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                          Dont let the PBs fool ya
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Henderson, NV
                          • Send PM

I don't know a thing about Allen. Never saw him play.I was referring to Lamar Jackson.

Comment

Working...
                          X