Comment

• bonehead
      Undrafted
      • Jul 2013
      • TBD
      • Retired
      • Send PM

Originally posted by chris9341 View Post

Brees played in the perfect system that was taylored for him. Not taking anything away from Brees but if he had played any other system then Sean Payton's offense would he have been that effective?
      Forget it Donny you're out of your element

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

• chris9341
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jul 2013
        • Send PM

well we're not talking about High School or college we are talking about the NFL here. Huge difference, Im not saying he would'nt be successful in any other offense but I don't think we would have seen all of the 5000 yard passing seasons Brees had or the 50 plus touchdowns he threw in a season.

Comment

• Steve
          Administrator
          • Jun 2013
          • South Carolina
          • Meteorologist
          • Send PM

Let's start by addressing the elephant in the room: Kyle Lauletta is an FCS phenom and offseason all-star whose resume looks a lot like Jimmy Garoppolo's if you don't dig too far...

Comment

• Screeme
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

I like Lauletta, but I mean, only because he played one hell of a game at the Senior Bowl. Other than that I've never seen him. I imagine if we take him we'll have to use our second. Ideally, I'd say third, but I don't think he'll make it that far.

Comment

• Panamamike
              Panamamike commented
              Editing a comment
              No way in hell do I use a second on him.

• Screeme
              Screeme commented
              Editing a comment
              To be clear, I'm not saying we should. What I mean to say is if we don't use the second, we won't get him in the third. He'll go somewhere in between.
          • chris9341
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jul 2013
            • Send PM

I honestly do not believe the chargers will be taking a QB this year. Ok we are one player away on the DL from being an elite team. So taking a player like a lauletta or Lamar Jackson seems stupid and the only reason I can see us drafting one of those two is if Telesco and the rest of the Chargers brass don't believe we are ready for that next step. If this team is going to want to try to make it to the SuperBowl or even have a chance then they need to draft a DT with there first pick then take a linebacker with there next two picks. I don't get why some people are enamored with the Chargers taking a QB with one of there first two picks when there are more pressing needs for this team right now.

Comment

• chris9341
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2013
              • Send PM

Seems I'm not the only one who thinks that we will draft a DT with our first pick then take a linebacker with our second pick.

Comment

• Steve
                Administrator
                • Jun 2013
                • South Carolina
                • Meteorologist
                • Send PM

I don't think the Chargers know yet. You don't go into the draft with specific position identified in each round. You go in with players you like for each round. If your cluster has 1 or more QB in it, and they haven't been taken by the time you pick, you have a decision to make. If you don't have a QB in that round, then you definitely go another spot.

Mock drafts are a nice toy to have, but they are normally really, really off. It is not uncommon for a couple of guys who are highly ranked by all the draftniks to fall a long, long way. I don't think you can count on them to give an accurate depiction as to where players will necessarily go.

For example, S. Everyone keeps saying they think the top couple of S will be off the board by the time we pick, but how many S have been taken in the 1st round in the last 10 years? Not many. How are teams valuing S in FA this year? No one seems to be in a big hurry to sign any S this offseason. PEople may be right, but if I was TT I would have a fairly large cluster ready to be able to account for a lot of variability in how the 1st round starts out.

Comment

• Formula 21
                  The Future is Now
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Republic of San Diego
                  • Send PM

What LB do you like in the 2nd? I'm not all that impressed.
                  Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                  The Wasted Decade is done.
                  Build Back Better.

Comment

• Steve
                    Administrator
                    • Jun 2013
                    • South Carolina
                    • Meteorologist
                    • Send PM

Griffin

Comment

• blueman
                      blueman commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yep yep yep, I’m on the Hurst/Griffin bandwagon this week, lol.
                  • Formula 21
                    The Future is Now
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Republic of San Diego
                    • Send PM

Griffen in the 2nd? I was thinking 3rd. He's got speed and production but the disability drops him a round. Plus he's a feel good story for the LA market.
                    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                    The Wasted Decade is done.
                    Build Back Better.

Comment

• blueman
                      blueman commented
                      Editing a comment
                      He’ll go n the 2nd and whatever team picks him will be very very happy with him.

• pigskin
                      pigskin commented
                      Editing a comment
                      He was invited to the draft, someone will take him in the 2nd, if not late first.
                  • Steve
                    Administrator
                    • Jun 2013
                    • South Carolina
                    • Meteorologist
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
                    Griffen in the 2nd? I was thinking 3rd. He's got speed and production but the disability drops him a round. Plus he's a feel good story for the LA market.
                    Why do you downgrade someone because of a disability? You simply rank the level of their play. To downgrade him after you evaluate his level of play is double counting his weaknesses.

You should do the same thing you do with any other player. All players have strengths and weaknesses. In his case, he tends to try and tackle a little high without wrapping up, and has trouble shedding blocks. Those are his weaknesses from the missing hand, and that is that. You probably also need to figure given that his hand is missing and that he has troubles because of it, those are not issues that he will always have to some degree, so you have to figure that weakness will always be present, but that is the norm with a LB that size.

All small LB/S tweeners are going to get killed if you don't play them in space or cover them up. To be honest, I don't think it hurts his status, because of his size. He would have to be covered up even if he had the hand and it worked.

To me it is his wart. People keep looking at his wart and seeing it as a huge disadvantage of it, but it is really not a issue. His lack of size is the issue. He is never going to be able to stand in and take on OL and take on plays in the inside gaps. He is simply too small. You can knock his missing hand on his shed technique, but even if he was a lot better with 2 good hands, he is not going to hold up. If you use him like a traditional 34ILB or a 43 Mike, he is going to get stomped.

If you use him like we do Phillips in our dime package (which is what I anticipate we will do), then he is not at a disadvantage. He will line up wide, stacked behind the Leo, so he can flow to the ball. His speed, hustle and pass rush/blitz are huge upgrades. His tackling is about the same as Phillips, but a big upgrade over our traditional LB from last season.

The other knock on Griffin is that his pursuit angles get sloppy when he lines up as a deep S. He relies on his speed and closes so fast, but when he has a long distance to go, even 4.3 speed has it's limits. His pursuit angles as a SS in the box or a LB in the box are good, not to mention his speed in tight quarters is so good that he closes before the bad angle becomes a problem.

His other issue is simply his tackling. He hardly missed any tackles last season, but like every other defense, ours needs to practice tackling a little bit every single day, all season. You never tackle too well, so a little practice every day is the way that is fixed. Tackling is the reason our run D was not as good as it was the year before. Pagano finally got our tackling fixed, and even the run D went way up when we stopped missing tackles. Bradley's D let the tackling creep back and it showed in how many long runs we gave up, especially early last season.

Comment

Working...
                    X