• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Screeme
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by chris9341 View Post

Well I would argue that those teams defense got them to the superbowl more then there ability did. Please don't put Kaepernick in the same category as Cam Newton and Russell Wilson. Those two can actually stay in the pocket and thats the point I'm trying to make about Lamar Jackson. Does Lamar Jackson have the ability to stay in the pocket? I guess we will find out on draft day depending on what team takes him.
    I'm not saying Kaepernick is as good a QB as those other two. But all can run and have it as a tool. None are prototypical Manning type QBs. The question was, have any of them had success. I am defining a SB run as a successful season. I'm sorry Kaepernick is on that list, but he is. You can qualify that success all you want, but he is among the answers to the question.

If what you're looking for are, which of them have become good , feared QBS.. then you're right, Newton and Wilson are much better passers and have more patience in the pocket. Though, they are still scary with their feet. Which, again goes to the OP.

Comment

• Screeme
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

I should add, Wilson was not as patient coming out of college. I get the pleasure of watching a lot of Seattle games. It took him awhile to develop that. Lamar may never do it, or maybe get will.. there is honestly no way of knowing it.

Comment

• bonehead
        Undrafted
        • Jul 2013
        • TBD
        • Retired
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
        I don't know a thing about Allen. Never saw him play.I was referring to Lamar Jackson.
        Josh Allen threw 56%. He is rated the#1 QB prospect by many, probably by the same people who say Lamar Jackson should be a WR
        Last edited by bonehead; 04-03-2018, 07:42 AM.
        Forget it Donny you're out of your element

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

• Heatmiser
          BetterToday ThanYesterday
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Allen is the proto type NFL QB from a physical standpoint. He is comfortable in the pocket and can play pro-style offense. Guys like that are always going to be rated highly because the great QBs almost always are in that mold. (Although Allen can run like, say Alex Smith or Aaron Rodgers or Big Ben before he became Big Fat Ben). Guys like Jackson don't have that historical track record. In fact, most of them either never pan out or flash and then get hurt. Watson being so successful in Houston should help Jackson's chances in the draft. Of course, Watson played terrific....until he got hurt.

TG
          Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• Heatmiser
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            Completion percentage in college is as much or more about what kind of offense you are playing in.

If you are referring to Allen, he throws a lot more downfield than a lot of college QB. So many spread QB throw a large percentage of bubble screens, that even the short passing element of the Wyoming passing game is significantly further downfield. Many of the spread crowd are going to see their competition percentages tank when they have to start moving their feet and throwing real NFL passes where you have to drop to get in synch with the receviers.

The bigger issue I have with Allen over so many of the other college QB is that Allen has played under center. He calls plays, audibles and knows how to drop back to pass, which is foreign to so many of the dink and dunk/spread QB. Spread coaches encourage many of the bad habits that these spread QB have to overcome. The grip and rip coaching crowd are not helping NFL prospects with their high school offenses.

I still think Kyle Lauletta is the best college QB, and in large part, it is because he has pro style mechanics even when Richmond had him throwing in the spread.
            I like Lauletta, too and I think he can be had in round 4 if the Chargers are lucky. But Steve, I have read concerns about his arm. That he lollypops deep throws and deep outs and it will be open season on those when he faces NFL safeties. You heard this or seen it in his play?

TG

Comment

• chargerkdb
              chargerkdb commented
              Editing a comment
              I think we will be lucky if Lauletta is there when we pick in 3rd
          • Formula 21
            The Future is Now
            • Jun 2013
            • Republic of San Diego
            • Send PM

Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
            The Wasted Decade is done.
            Build Back Better.

Comment

• Steve
              Steve commented
              Editing a comment
              Peyton Manning had the knock that he didn't have the arm strength. Rivers and Brady too.
          • Heatmiser
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Joe Montana did.

Comment

• blueman
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Watching Brees as a Charger and watching him as a Saint, one could make the argument improved arm strength can happen..

Comment

• Steve
                Administrator
                • Jun 2013
                • South Carolina
                • Meteorologist
                • Send PM

Does he have a strong arm that can throw lasers on every throw? No, he doesn't. He is not the next Elway or Jim Kelly.

I don't think it matters though. Arm strength is so overrated by many scouts and most fans. Ball accuracy and placement is the most important quality a young QB has. They do need a minimum of arm strength. Guys like Steve Walsh, Ty Detmer, Coy Detmer had arms that were so weak that they couldn't throw downfield. Laletta has a lot more arm strength than those guys.

The big thing that I hate when I evaluate QB is that young strong-armed guys who strong arm every throw. I can't think of any who ever seem to develop touch. Most of the touch passers who have good mechanics develop the ability to throw with power.

He is like Rivers, he has "enough" of an arm. He doesn't throw hard on every play, and he does need to develop his body some to avoid injury. Most college QB do, and it didn't hurt most of them. Tom Brady was no worse off using his rookie year on the bench to develop his body in the weight room. He does need to wind up to throw really deep, and I wouldn't mind if his arm got stronger, but I think it is adequate.

The thing I love about arm strength is that it has little to do with upper body muscles. The ability to throw a football hard comes from a QB core. Overarm throwers do it by stepping into the pass, and using their abs vertically pulling. Sidearm guys like Rivers get power from the upper body twist/off arm pull. But either way, it is the core muscles that give a QB that power to drive the throw and get a pass in quickly between defenders.

If Lauletta has a flaw, I would like to see him use his grip and rip delivery more. Unlike a lot of sloppy guys, he holds the ball well, tight to the chest, in the middle, with both hands. On his short quick throws, he keeps his delivery in tight to his body, and it shortens his release. When he winds up it elongates his delivery and slows the release. He needs to stay tight and get rid of the ball quickly.

Comment

• chris9341
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jul 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
                  Watching Brees as a Charger and watching him as a Saint, one could make the argument improved arm strength can happen..
                  Brees played in the perfect system that was taylored for him. Not taking anything away from Brees but if he had played any other system then Sean Payton's offense would he have been that effective?

Comment

• Steve
                    Administrator
                    • Jun 2013
                    • South Carolina
                    • Meteorologist
                    • Send PM

To a certain extent, you can say that about any QB.

Ben R is a perfect fit for the Steelers, but if you put him in NO offense, I don't think he is going to enjoy the same success. Quick passes, spreading it around in lots of different personnel groups is not something Ben does well. But let Ben force the ball down the field and spread the field, he's your guy.

Lauletta is not for everyone. He has some mobility and can run zone read and do a lot of RPO stuff, but he is not the next Deshaun Watson. He is going to be better in an offense similar to ours, but with less of an emphasis on the 3 and quick 5 step, and more on the middle inside routes attacking outside. His mechanics are totally different, but he does remind me some of Rivers, only with mobility. But let him be patient, spread the ball around the short and medium passes, reading inside-out, and let him throw his receivers open, he is a pretty good player.

But put him in more of a vertical system, reading outside-in, asking him to hold the ball and make the big throws downfield, and he is not your guy. But Rivers isn't going to be great in that system either. He can do it better than Lauletta, but not like Ben can.

Comment

• Sgt Schultz
                      Bandwagon since 8/6/1960
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Palm Springs
                      • I know nothing
                      • Send PM

Found this interesting from Mike Tanier:
                      Kyle Lauletta May Be the Real Leader of This Year's NFL Draft Quarterback Class

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...rterback-class

Too long to cut and paste
                      Last edited by Sgt Schultz; 04-03-2018, 05:54 PM. Reason: to put title

Comment

• foreigner
                        foreigner commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Chargers will draft him. I know that for sure.
                    Working...
                    X