• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • foreigner
    Tom Telesco is gone
    • Sep 2013
    • Send PM

Call me crazy but I have a feeling the Chargers will gain a lot of fans this year in LA with their Air Coryell Revival with Rivers and Co. Its going to be spectacular this year the pass offense.

Comment

• richpjr
      richpjr commented
      Editing a comment
      Not if you believe the clowns on 1090! According to them the only reason people watched last year was not because they root for the team, but because they were rooting against it - huh? It's really hard to even listen to that station any more as they are just so massively bitter and butt hurt.

I expect the team will do well and in typical front running LA fashion more fans will be attracted.
  • R2D22
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Aug 2018
    • Send PM

As promised... Thursday's camp report:

First (and most importantly): NO INJURIES! The rest is fine print...

Anyway, assorted observations:

- Horrible session for an unprepared fan to attend. After warm-ups, the Chargers did about 45 minutes in offense/defense on separate fields. Then, for the remainder of time, they ran against each other on the FAR field, at least 75 yards from the closest fan. This had to be boring as hell for the non-assisted fan to watch from the stands. Of course, I came with my trusty binoculars, which were worth 2X their weight in gold today, otherwise would not have seen 20% of what I'm reporting.

- The most interesting stuff during the first part was what was going on in the furthest field back, where they stuff the injured players. I could see, in order, Hunter Henry, Joey Bosa, Trevor Williams and Justin Jones riding side by side on their stationary bikes, like the blue and yellow 4 Horsemen of the Apocalypse. They looked like they were in pretty good spirits and you could tell they were bantering and laughing with each other.

- Happy to report that Bosa looks fine. No limp and no bindings nor brace on either leg. I can see him back to practice next week or, if they want to be extra cautious, the week before the Saints game. He watched the 2nd part of the practice from the sidelines with the rest of the defense.

- Williams also looked OK but didn't see him much after the session.

- Justin Jones - here's what's odd: he looked the most messed up. His left foot is in a big boot. However, he seemed to be in pretty good spirits, also watched the 2nd half of practice with his team mates and, afterwards, was one of the players they sent over to the fans to sign and take pictures with (yes, I got a couple.) It's one of those where the boot says one thing but his body language and actions say another. I will choose to stay optimistic, but I would venture to guess that he doesn't play until the final pre-season game, if at all.

- Forest Lamp - although I looked for him specifically, I didn't see him until he had finished his workout and was walking back to the medical tent. He looked good, but also like he didn't have too strenuous of a workout today, given how warm it was.

- During the first session, the D was walking through personnel assignments against certain formations. There were a number of them, but one that got repeated and returned to was coverage against a trips receiver formation. The coaches were emphasizing man assignments.

- During the second session, you could tell that they were practicing the most common formations. The problem is, from my vantage, I could not tell when they were running plays for the defense or for the offense, other than one play where PR seemed to check out of a run formation. This makes it hard to say what was being emphasized. If I had to guess, they will be running pretty vanilla plays and formations for the first two preseason games, just to see how well the back-ups and bubble players do in those situations.

- Virgil Green caught multiple passes, so I will venture to guess that he will see at least a couple throws on Saturday, and finally shedding the "pure blocking tight end" label.

- PR also worked the middle of the field quite a bit, and Mike W. caught a medium-long pass down the left side.

- AK looked fast and shifty and, got the bulk of the carries. He will definitely get the bulk of the early work on Saturday (duh!)

- All the QB's got a fair amount of reps including, surprisingly, PR and Shimonek. I think we'll see at least a drive or two with the rookie QB at the end of the game on Saturday.

They blew the whistle to end practice about 10 minutes early and everyone looked upbeat and excited to be going to AZ to face some non-teammates for a change.

That's it!

Comment

• richpjr
      richpjr commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the report - we enjoy them!

• Formula 21
      Formula 21 commented
      Editing a comment
      Great report. What bothers me about this camp is I have not seen a single report talking about them working on red zone and goal line offense. Given how bad they were at that last year, I’d hoped it would be a focus this year not an afterthought.

• Coachmarkos
      Coachmarkos commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Man!
  • Fleet
    TPB Founder
    • Jun 2013
    • Cardiff - Poipu
    • Send PM

Originally posted by R2D22 View Post
    As promised... Thursday's camp report:

First (and most importantly): NO INJURIES! The rest is fine print...

Anyway, assorted observations:

- Horrible session for an unprepared fan to attend. After warm-ups, the Chargers did about 45 minutes in offense/defense on separate fields. Then, for the remainder of time, they ran against each other on the FAR field, at least 75 yards from the closest fan. This had to be boring as hell for the non-assisted fan to watch from the stands. Of course, I came with my trusty binoculars, which were worth 2X their weight in gold today, otherwise would not have seen 20% of what I'm reporting.

- The most interesting stuff during the first part was what was going on in the furthest field back, where they stuff the injured players. I could see, in order, Hunter Henry, Joey Bosa, Trevor Williams and Justin Jones riding side by side on their stationary bikes, like the blue and yellow 4 Horsemen of the Apocalypse. They looked like they were in pretty good spirits and you could tell they were bantering and laughing with each other.

- Happy to report that Bosa looks fine. No limp and no bindings nor brace on either leg. I can see him back to practice next week or, if they want to be extra cautious, the week before the Saints game. He watched the 2nd part of the practice from the sidelines with the rest of the defense.

- Williams also looked OK but didn't see him much after the session.

- Justin Jones - here's what's odd: he looked the most messed up. His left foot is in a big boot. However, he seemed to be in pretty good spirits, also watched the 2nd half of practice with his team mates and, afterwards, was one of the players they sent over to the fans to sign and take pictures with (yes, I got a couple.) It's one of those where the boot says one thing but his body language and actions say another. I will choose to stay optimistic, but I would venture to guess that he doesn't play until the final pre-season game, if at all.

- Forest Lamp - although I looked for him specifically, I didn't see him until he had finished his workout and was walking back to the medical tent. He looked good, but also like he didn't have too strenuous of a workout today, given how warm it was.

- During the first session, the D was walking through personnel assignments against certain formations. There were a number of them, but one that got repeated and returned to was coverage against a trips receiver formation. The coaches were emphasizing man assignments.

- During the second session, you could tell that they were practicing the most common formations. The problem is, from my vantage, I could not tell when they were running plays for the defense or for the offense, other than one play where PR seemed to check out of a run formation. This makes it hard to say what was being emphasized. If I had to guess, they will be running pretty vanilla plays and formations for the first two preseason games, just to see how well the back-ups and bubble players do in those situations.

- Virgil Green caught multiple passes, so I will venture to guess that he will see at least a couple throws on Saturday, and finally shedding the "pure blocking tight end" label.

- PR also worked the middle of the field quite a bit, and Mike W. caught a medium-long pass down the left side.

- AK looked fast and shifty and, got the bulk of the carries. He will definitely get the bulk of the early work on Saturday (duh!)

- All the QB's got a fair amount of reps including, surprisingly, PR and Shimonek. I think we'll see at least a drive or two with the rookie QB at the end of the game on Saturday.

They blew the whistle to end practice about 10 minutes early and everyone looked upbeat and excited to be going to AZ to face some non-teammates for a change.

That's it!
    Thanks man. Just tweeted this. Cheers to you.

Comment

• blueman
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Thank you so much!! Starved for news, lol.

Comment

• Screeme
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Thank you, sir! Keep up the good work :smile:

Comment

• R2D22
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Aug 2018
          • Send PM

Comment

• blueman
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Gotta love this.

Comment

• Formula 21
              The Future is Now
              • Jun 2013
              • Republic of San Diego
              • Send PM

Alden GonzalezESPN Staff Writer

Went to Rams and Chargers camps today. They're both supremely talented on offense and defense. The biggest discrepancy is their kicking situation. Greg Zuerlein, coming off back surgery, nailed a 60-yard field goal with ease and looks totally healthy now. He might be the best kicker in the league again. For the Chargers, neither Caleb Sturgis nor Roberto Aguayo have separated themselves. Chargers coach Anthony Lynn said opening with two kickers on the active roster is "a possibility."

5h Eric D. Williams ESPN Staff Writer

Chargers kicking competition Day 4: Caleb Sturgis finished 7 of 7 with a long of 53 yards. Roberto Aguayo finished 4 of 7, missed from 41, 50 and 53.

11h
              Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
              The Wasted Decade is done.
              Build Back Better.

Comment

• Formula 21
                The Future is Now
                • Jun 2013
                • Republic of San Diego
                • Send PM

Eric D. Williams ESPN Staff Writer

That rookie could start: Second-round selection Uchenna Nwosu was impressive, recording two tackles, a sack and two quarterback hits. Nwosu was part of a second-unit defense that included fellow rookies Derwin James and Kyzir White. All three played with a lot of energy. White finished with three tackles, a tackle on special teams and a nice block on a punt return.
                Build Back Better.

Comment

• Formula 21
                  The Future is Now
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Republic of San Diego
                  • Send PM

Just a note on Cantwell and the bone bruise in his knee. Researching this shows how serious it is and how long it takes to recover. But the conclusion is this:
                  • In one study, the median recovery time for patients who had a bone bruise was 42.1 weeks. (1516)
                  • Most small bone bruises heal slowly in two to four months.
                  Build Back Better.

Comment

• SDFan
                    Woober Goober
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Dolores, CO
                    • Retired
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by foreigner View Post
                    Call me crazy but I have a feeling the Chargers will gain a lot of fans this year in LA with their Air Coryell Revival with Rivers and Co. Its going to be spectacular this year the pass offense.
                    how do you get an "Air Coryell revival" from a run first philosophy head coach and shortage of very talented pass catching TEs?
                    Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• Coachmarkos
                      Coachmarkos commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Whiz?

• BoltBacker
                      BoltBacker commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Patriots perfect example, Gronk goes down and the team shifts focus to RB's out of backfield and 4 WR sets. Chargers love using TE in the slot which Mike Williams can replace. Whiz just will improvise.
                  • Panamamike
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by SDfan View Post

how do you get an "Air Coryell revival" from a run first philosophy head coach and shortage of very talented pass catching TEs?
                    Using their big receivers in mismatchs? More than 1 way to skin a cat. They were the top passing offense last season no? Not "air coryell" imo...but still.

Comment

Working...
                    X