• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Attack
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jan 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
    Listened to some podcasts and interviews today and Whiz and especially Bradley are getting absolutely torched by everyone for their game plans and for not making adjustments when their game plans weren't working. Sounds like our game thread!
    How much say does Rivers have in the gameplan and making in-game adjustments? He was ticked off at times during the game, and I have to think that he told AL and Whiz that the plays being called weren't working. Doing the same thing - not calling more quick passes and continuing to throw downfield - wasn't working. I just wonder how much the coaches listen to him. I don't think Rivers is the type to throw his coaches under the bus.

Comment

• blueman
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by SDfan View Post

problem is they were outmanned playing man. Heyward had a miserable year compared to his previous 2, Trevor Williams was IR'd early and they had Michael Davis and squat back there except for King and James who had other primary responsibilities where you couldn't dedicate them to being full time CBs most of every game- nor would you want to.
      And no starting LBs, just backups. Against such an O that was gonna be hard to overcome. We did not. We need playmakers at the mid level, sucks we had them on IR.

Comment

• Formula 21
        The Future is Now
        • Jun 2013
        • Republic of San Diego
        • Send PM

The Cheats blitzed and held the receivers for the 1st 8 yards down the field. It was a tough game for Rivers.
        Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
        The Wasted Decade is done.
        Build Back Better.

Comment

• richpjr
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Nashville
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Attack View Post

How much say does Rivers have in the gameplan and making in-game adjustments? He was ticked off at times during the game, and I have to think that he told AL and Whiz that the plays being called weren't working. Doing the same thing - not calling more quick passes and continuing to throw downfield - wasn't working. I just wonder how much the coaches listen to him. I don't think Rivers is the type to throw his coaches under the bus.
          Looked to me like Rivers was pissed that nobody was picking up any stunts or blitzes more than complaining about the play calling. Having said that, I read that the Pats tried one pass over 20 yards in the game. The Chargers tried 9. WTF is Whiz thinking trying to continuously go deep when we couldn't block anyone???

Comment

• blueman
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Looked to me like Rivers was pissed that nobody was picking up any stunts or blitzes more than complaining about the play calling. Having said that, I read that the Pats tried one pass over 20 yards in the game. The Chargers tried 9. WTF is Whiz thinking trying to continuously go deep when we couldn't block anyone???
            This. Terrible game plan on O.

Comment

• Lightnin'
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Watching the first NE drive told me all I needed to know.

NE was breaking tackles.
              NE was playing faster.
              NE was executing.

We'd been in playoff mode since October and looked
              like a very tired team from that drive on Sunday.

Perhaps other game plans/strategies or the ever-popular
              "in-game adjustments" may have reversed things, perhaps not.

We'll never know.

Sunday, NE was in complete "Beast Mode" and we had no
              answers. I don't know if KC (who stomped another underdog,
              Indianapolis) will have answers, but-it'll be fun to find out.

San Diego Chargers

1961-2017

Comment

• chris9341
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jul 2013
                • Send PM

Ive been thinking of why we lost this game which was a culmination of a lot of things but now that I think about it New England made sure they were going to stop the run. I think once they knew that they could take Gordon out of play well then Rivers would be easy pickins. Lets face it ever since Gordon has come back from his injury he has not been the same as before he was the injury happened which makes me question whether or not he was 100 percent healthy. I have said this numerous times on this board and yesterday's game proved me right that if the chargers are going to go to the superbowl you have to do two things and that is you have to be able to run the ball and you have to be able to stop the run. The chargers did neither while the Patriots were able to do both holding the Chargers to 19 yards rushing while the Patriots rushed for 155 yards which imo opened it up for Brady.

Comment

• SDFan
                  Woober Goober
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Dolores, CO
                  • Retired
                  • Send PM

the theory is go deep to force them to keep more defenders deep- and thus less guys to crowd the LOS and/or blitz. If you burn them deep a couple times, it supposedly makes them back off blitzing, which was the desired result.
                  Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• Boltster
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Baltimore, MD
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Lightnin' View Post
                    Watching the first NE drive told me all I needed to know.

NE was breaking tackles.
                    NE was playing faster.
                    NE was executing.

We'd been in playoff mode since October and looked
                    like a very tired team from that drive on Sunday.

Perhaps other game plans/strategies or the ever-popular
                    "in-game adjustments" may have reversed things, perhaps not.

We'll never know.

Sunday, NE was in complete "Beast Mode" and we had no
                    answers. I don't know if KC (who stomped another underdog,
                    Indianapolis) will have answers, but-it'll be fun to find out.
                    I concur. We looked slow. Ironically, here is Baltimore, it's always talked about how opponents struggle the week after playing the Ravens. It's due to the very physical nature of their games. Joey Bosa said he was exhausted in an interview after the first Ravens game. I don't think any game plan changes would have mattered. We ran out of gas. It's the reason that when the 1 or 2 seed loses in the divisional round, it's usually from their own mistakes. That bye makes a huge difference. We were traveling for the third week in a row. That's NE's formula. They are 1 or 2 every year.
                    I tip my hat to NE. It will be ironic that when Brady retires, that's when one of the other 3 teams in their division will finally end up with a star QB, and the tables will turn.

Comment

• richpjr
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Nashville
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by SDfan View Post

the theory is go deep to force them to keep more defenders deep- and thus less guys to crowd the LOS and/or blitz. If you burn them deep a couple times, it supposedly makes them back off blitzing, which was the desired result.
                      I get the theory and we did get them on our first drive, but it didn't work the rest of the game and Rivers got pounded. I saw a breakdown of some of the plays by the Pats D and they were double teaming KA and literally knocking him to the ground at the LOS which is actually brilliant as he is the only WR we have who can get quick separation off the line.

Comment

• chargerkdb
                        Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Hotter than hell, Georgia
                        • Send PM

They took away our strengths and attacked our weaknesses. It worked very well

Comment

• foreigner
                          Tom Telesco is gone
                          • Sep 2013
                          • Send PM

I have decided I will become a Patriots Fan, I'll sacrifice myself in order to jynx them, you'll thank me in Feb 2020.

Comment

Working...
                          X