• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Topcat
    AKA "Pollcat"
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by OhioBolt View Post
    I am not sure Melvin Gordon is a potential trade partner with Washington for OT Trent Williams because Washington is loaded with RB's Adrian Peterson, Samaje Perrion, Derrius Guice, Chris Thompson, and drafted Bryce Love out of Stanford. Some how we need to make this trade period even if Okung is coming back, but if he has some set back we are starting Sam Tevi and Trent Scott????

Trent Williams may cost us a 3rd round pick, but if we can trade Gordon for a 3rd to a team like Miami, or Tampa Bay we would still have a 3rd round pick. Maybe a 4th rounder and a player like Jaylen Watkins or Jatavis Brown maybe enough to get Williams the Skin's are weak at Safety and Linebacker
    Trade Brown? I don't think the Skins will go for damaged goods...and Watkins is just average...

Comment

• blueman
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

If Tevi is over on the left side, I actually kinda like that versus him on the right. Dunno why, he just looks awkward on the right. Scott I dunno about, but curious to see how this Oline shakes out.

Comment

• Formula 21
        The Future is Now
        • Jun 2013
        • Republic of San Diego
        • Send PM

Chargers offensive line update during first day of training camp

66 shares
        tweet
        email

By: Gavino Borquez | 1 hour ago

After finishing as one of the worst positional groups, one of the biggest questions entering training camp is how the offensive line will shape up.
        Offensive tackle Russell Okung, who is currently recovering from pulmonary embolism caused by blood clots, didn't participate. His return to practice is unknown. Okung did go through a series of stretches with the team today.
        In Okung's absence, both Trent Scott and Sam Tevi worked at left tackle with the first team. They switched off between right and left tackle.
        Rookie Trey Pipkins saw snaps with the second-team at left and right tackle.
        As far as the interior part of the offensive line, the former second-round selection Forrest Lamp played both guard spots. He played right guard with the second-team and also split snaps with the starters on the left side.

Dan Feeney worked not only as the team's starting left guard to start the day, but he got some work with the first-team at center, too. Coach Anthony Lynn said that Feeney could develop into a starting center in the NFL.

It's only been one day, but this is glimpse of how the positional group will look throughout camp and preseason action. Let the battle for the starting jobs commence.
        Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
        The Wasted Decade is done.
        Build Back Better.

Comment

• Formula 21
          The Future is Now
          • Jun 2013
          • Republic of San Diego
          • Send PM

Wonder how Pipkins looked.
          Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
          The Wasted Decade is done.
          Build Back Better.

Comment

• Sgt. Pepper
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Apr 2019
            • Send PM

Forrest Lamp might be the answer in place of Okung. He excelled as a left tackle in college. When he was drafted I believe it was with an eye toward eventually becoming the franchise left tackle.

Comment

• blueman
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Sgt. Pepper View Post
              Forrest Lamp might be the answer in place of Okung. He excelled as a left tackle in college. When he was drafted I believe it was with an eye toward eventually becoming the franchise left tackle.
              So far only getting snaps at guard...

Comment

• jamrock
                lawyers, guns and money
                • Sep 2017
                • Send PM

Lynn always talks about position flexibility on the oline. At this point, I just want to see Lamp earn a starting spot. I don't care where it is.

Comment

• chargeroo
                  Fan since 1961
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Oregon
                  • Retired Manager/Pastor
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

I'm not as worried about Gordon as I am about Okung. RB is a fungible position compared to quality OL.
                  I agree. Six years ago I had a total knee replacement. A few days latter I awoke in the early morning with big time chest pain. I got up to go to the bathroom but passed out on the way. I was hauled off to the hospital where they said I had a blood clot in my lungs. The Cardiologist said I was lucky to live through it. ( I credit Jesus for that). But here's my point, after that episode I came down with AFIB and that never goes away. I can't imagine anyone that could play football with this problem, the meds I have to take would ber a problem for someone that played football.
                  THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• like54ninjas
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Oct 2017
                    • Great White North
                    • Draftnik
                    • Send PM

What gave you this belief? I've never really understood it since the organization has stated OG since the moment he was drafted. Before his injury he worked almost exclusively at ORG and was announced as an OG when we drafted him.

FF to about 3:40 mark......

My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
                    K9
                    Nasir
                    Tillery
                    Parham
                    Reed

Comment

• powderblueboy
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jul 2017
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by OhioBolt View Post
                      I am not sure Melvin Gordon is a potential trade partner with Washington for OT Trent Williams because Washington is loaded with RB's Adrian Peterson, Samaje Perrion, Derrius Guice, Chris Thompson, and drafted Bryce Love out of Stanford. Some how we need to make this trade period even if Okung is coming back, but if he has some set back we are starting Sam Tevi and Trent Scott????

Trent Williams may cost us a 3rd round pick, but if we can trade Gordon for a 3rd to a team like Miami, or Tampa Bay we would still have a 3rd round pick. Maybe a 4th rounder and a player like Jaylen Watkins or Jatavis Brown maybe enough to get Williams the Skin's are weak at Safety and Linebacker
                      I'd give up a 2nd for Trent Williams, easily. They just reportedly offered Melvin $11 million a year; that doesn't seem like they are clearing up cap space for such a thing.

Maybe, they just love Tevi & Scott. Don't knock it until you've tried it!
                      :sigh:

Comment

• blueman
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

Lynn always talks about position flexibility on the oline. At this point, I just want to see Lamp earn a starting spot. I don't care where it is.
                        Top five play.

Comment

• Bolt-O
                          Administrator
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Chargers left tackle Russell Okung out indefinitely due to pulmonary embolus

By ProFootballDoc

July 25, 2019
                          5:35 PM

Chargers offensive tackle Russell Okung revealed he suffered sufferred a pulmonary embolus in early June.
                          Okung gave kudos to the Chargers medical staff, and kudos are deserved.
                          Out of an ambundance of caution, he was sent to an urgent care after symptoms developed. That is when the condition was diagnosed.
                          It is good to hear that Okung will be OK. It is good to hear he wants to play.
                          The question is whether he will be able to.
                          There are different types and causes of pulmonary embolus. This is a disease where a blood clot is lodged in the lungs. Sometimes it is deadly.
                          Clots can form in the leg and travel to the lungs. Clots can form in the heart and move to the lungs. Clots can form and grow in the lungs. The clot interferes with oxygen and leads to shortness breath -- and sometimes worse. The type of lung clot matters in terms treatment and timeline for return to play.
                          Each situation must be judged individually.
                          Bengals guard Chris Boling announced his retirement this month due to a pulmonary embolus discovered after last season.
                          I am not saying Okung's career is over, but it could be. There is no guarantee he will play again.
                          Typically with blood clots, blood thinners are used, which leads to easier bleeding. That brings up concern for an obvious risk for a football player. Sometimes filters are inserted to catch clots that form in the legs to prevent their traveling to the lung, where it can become life threatening
                          The bottom line is a thorough full evaluation is required, which Okung is undoubtedly undergoing.
                          And while the final medical word is pending, the Chargers will have to work on a Plan B going forward at left tackle--for now and in case he cannot return.

Comment

Working...
                          X