• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • blueman
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Left tackle and starting RB. So far that's not too bad, considering it's the Chargers lol.

Comment

• jamrock
      lawyers, guns and money
      • Sep 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
      Left tackle and starting RB. So far that's not too bad, considering it's the Chargers lol.
      Life of a charger fan. Charlie Brown's got nothing on us

Comment

• Sgt. Pepper
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Apr 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

What gave you this belief? I've never really understood it since the organization has stated OG since the moment he was drafted. Before his injury he worked almost exclusively at ORG and was announced as an OG when we drafted him.

FF to about 3:40 mark......

Yes, he was always intended to start his career at guard. But there was some analysis that had him possibly sliding to left tackle if he performed well a few years into a few years to his career if he perform to expectations. He was a left tackle who almost his entire career in college and he was one of the best.

ADDENDUM: This PFF piece raves about Lamp as a LT in college and says he could play tackle in the NFL. https://www.pff.com/news/pro-forrest...geles-chargers
        Last edited by Sgt. Pepper; 07-25-2019, 08:34 PM.

Comment

• SDBORN
          Registered Charger Fan
          • May 2017
          • Send PM

Okung's career could be over. Blood thinners and contact sports don't mix. Hopefully it's not as bad as that.

It always seems we lose critical guys before the season starts for whatever reason. This one could be a big loss.

The Tyrod Taylor money would have been nice to have to put towards another position of need.

Comment

• Steve
            Administrator
            • Jun 2013
            • South Carolina
            • Meteorologist
            • Send PM

Originally posted by SDBORN View Post
            Okung's career could be over. Blood thinners and contact sports don't mix. Hopefully it's not as bad as that.

It always seems we lose critical guys before the season starts for whatever reason. This one could be a big loss.

The Tyrod Taylor money would have been nice to have to put towards another position of need.
            I call bullshit on this. IT is fine in the abstract, but completely misses the point. Either give the names of players who were realistic options or forget it. There are few decent FA in this years FA class, and I put our FA class up against most of them. We addressed most of our areas of need, at least the ones that could be addressed through FA. If you have something specific, fine, but Taylor's deal was fair market value for a QB and we would have needed a shitload to sign a player who was going to add anything on the field.

There were no good OL in FA this year and we would still have needed a vet QB as a backup, which isn't a strong list either. The deal signed a 1 year, $3.5 mil contract with $2.5 mil towards next season with a $5 mil salary which is only going to get if Rivers is a FA next year. If we resign Rivers, Taylor is going to get cut, or have to decide if he wants to take less to stay on the roster.

Any of the other FA QB are not going to give us any chance of winning if they had to play. The top of the list is Robert Griffin, AJ McCarron, Trevor Simian, or Mike Glennon. None of them can match Tyrod statistically as a passer, and none is even close as a runner. Tyrod is on the roster as insurance in case we can't resign Rivers next season. He isn't going to get most of the money in it unless Rivers is unsigned. And he is the only real choice as a backup QB. The only backup QB better than him is Bridgewater, who is much more expensive, and is still an for next season, since he only signed a 1 year deal.

It would have except that Tyrod Taylor money doesn't get anyone who can play on the OL. The going rate for OL in FA would have gotten us the likes of Kendall Lamm (expected to be a backup RT for the Browns), Jared Veldheer (who retired on NE), Cameron Fleming (Backup RT for Dal), or Ereck Flowers (who is not likely to even make the roster in Washington based on minicamp). None of those players was even brought in to compete for a starting job for teams who need OL help.

I wish people would stop making stupid comments like this without at least looking at the lists of FA to see what we could have gotten.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
              Day Tripper
              • May 2019
              • North of the Lagoon
              • Send PM

I cant recall more written about an OL kid we've never seen do shit than has been written about Lamp over the years. Seems like we have been writing about Lamp forever. Exhausting.

LT talk seems like a stretch - the consensus view was his arms were too short to be effective against elite edge players. never been 100% sure on that but ok. TT needs a plan for Okung, and would bet he has some ideas and today's roster may not be the final. We are very thin on pro tackles, lets hope Pips stuns the world and develops in 8 weeks.
              “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Lone Bolt
                Brock Bowers N.M.W.
                • Feb 2019
                • McLean Illinois
                • Pipefitter Illinois State University
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

I call bullshit on this. IT is fine in the abstract, but completely misses the point. Either give the names of players who were realistic options or forget it. There are few decent FA in this years FA class, and I put our FA class up against most of them. We addressed most of our areas of need, at least the ones that could be addressed through FA. If you have something specific, fine, but Taylor's deal was fair market value for a QB and we would have needed a shitload to sign a player who was going to add anything on the field.

There were no good OL in FA this year and we would still have needed a vet QB as a backup, which isn't a strong list either. The deal signed a 1 year, $3.5 mil contract with $2.5 mil towards next season with a $5 mil salary which is only going to get if Rivers is a FA next year. If we resign Rivers, Taylor is going to get cut, or have to decide if he wants to take less to stay on the roster.

Any of the other FA QB are not going to give us any chance of winning if they had to play. The top of the list is Robert Griffin, AJ McCarron, Trevor Simian, or Mike Glennon. None of them can match Tyrod statistically as a passer, and none is even close as a runner. Tyrod is on the roster as insurance in case we can't resign Rivers next season. He isn't going to get most of the money in it unless Rivers is unsigned. And he is the only real choice as a backup QB. The only backup QB better than him is Bridgewater, who is much more expensive, and is still an for next season, since he only signed a 1 year deal.

It would have except that Tyrod Taylor money doesn't get anyone who can play on the OL. The going rate for OL in FA would have gotten us the likes of Kendall Lamm (expected to be a backup RT for the Browns), Jared Veldheer (who retired on NE), Cameron Fleming (Backup RT for Dal), or Ereck Flowers (who is not likely to even make the roster in Washington based on minicamp). None of those players was even brought in to compete for a starting job for teams who need OL help.

I wish people would stop making stupid comments like this without at least looking at the lists of FA to see what we could have gotten.
                Easy killer....while I agree with your post, you rode the guy pretty hard...."stupid comments..."?
                The TPB makes plans....And Jim Harbaugh laughs...

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB, Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• OhioBolt
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

The more I read and hear about Okung the more I think we need to go get Trent Williams and if it is a second round pick they are asking so be it lets get it done. The Melvin Gordon thing sounds like a done deal and I read articles about him holding out up to week 10, but what kind of effort will he give you coming back without the contract he desires. I would trade Melvin Gordon as I stated to Miami or Tampa Bay both of these teams need a back and I would settle for 3rd, but would try for a 2nd rounder. If it is a 3rd rounder you got to figure it is going to be a high 3rd round pick because I don't think either one of these teams will finish the season that weill. So with that trade, go sign Jay Ajai or Carlos Hyde and we solved two problems we have a solid tackle in Williams to protect Rivers if Okung doesn't come back, and if Okung does come back the line is just that much better, and with the signing of one of the running backs we have a big back cable of starting and a nice committe with Eckler and Jackson.

Next year we have two 3rd round picks and flexibility to move back into the 2nd round if needed from sending our 2nd to Washington. If I am TT I am on the phone trying to get the Trent Williams deal done, and the Gordon trade and signing Ajai or Hyde.

Comment

• Topcat
                    AKA "Pollcat"
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by OhioBolt View Post
                    The more I read and hear about Okung the more I think we need to go get Trent Williams and if it is a second round pick they are asking so be it lets get it done. The Melvin Gordon thing sounds like a done deal and I read articles about him holding out up to week 10, but what kind of effort will he give you coming back without the contract he desires. I would trade Melvin Gordon as I stated to Miami or Tampa Bay both of these teams need a back and I would settle for 3rd, but would try for a 2nd rounder. If it is a 3rd rounder you got to figure it is going to be a high 3rd round pick because I don't think either one of these teams will finish the season that weill. So with that trade, go sign Jay Ajai or Carlos Hyde and we solved two problems we have a solid tackle in Williams to protect Rivers if Okung doesn't come back, and if Okung does come back the line is just that much better, and with the signing of one of the running backs we have a big back cable of starting and a nice committe with Eckler and Jackson.

Next year we have two 3rd round picks and flexibility to move back into the 2nd round if needed from sending our 2nd to Washington. If I am TT I am on the phone trying to get the Trent Williams deal done, and the Gordon trade and signing Ajai or Hyde.
                    I'd like Williams, but there are a few reasons why we may be better off not to sign him:

1. Williams is 31 years old. He's played 9 years, so he's at a point where a lot of players start to break down. Which leads us to...
                    2. Williams has missed a lot of games due to injury. He hasn't played a full season since 2013. In the past 3 seasons, he's missed a total of 13 games combined, with an assortment of injuries.
                    3. Williams may want too much money. He's due to make $10.8 mil this season and $12.5 mil next (though the Skins have an "out" in his deal right now). If Williams is asking for a hefty raise, especially over 4 years, he may price himself out of the market.

The only deal I make with Williams, with his injury history and age is maybe two years, or three years with an out after two, at around $10 mil a year, and with team-friendly language protecting them in case of injury. Of course, there could be escalators for playoffs, etc. I would also be open to the Bolts picking up the final two years of his deal--so basically a 2-year rental until we get our next LT properly groomed.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                      Smooth Operation
                      • May 2017
                      • Send PM

Polian Bible says no trade.
                      Bad precedent.
                      TT has spoken.
                      We do not play modern football.

Comment

• OhioBolt
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

I'd like Williams, but there are a few reasons why we may be better off not to sign him:

1. Williams is 31 years old. He's played 9 years, so he's at a point where a lot of players start to break down. Which leads us to...
                        2. Williams has missed a lot of games due to injury. He hasn't played a full season since 2013. In the past 3 seasons, he's missed a total of 13 games combined, with an assortment of injuries.
                        3. Williams may want too much money. He's due to make $10.8 mil this season and $12.5 mil next (though the Skins have an "out" in his deal right now). If Williams is asking for a hefty raise, especially over 4 years, he may price himself out of the market.

The only deal I make with Williams, with his injury history and age is maybe two years, or three years with an out after two, at around $10 mil a year, and with team-friendly language protecting them in case of injury. Of course, there could be escalators for playoffs, etc. I would also be open to the Bolts picking up the final two years of his deal--so basically a 2-year rental until we get our next LT properly groomed.

I agree with you on the contract structure and length of the deal, if we trade Gordon his 5.6 is off the books so you would use that plus 5.2 puts you at Trent Williams salary of 10.8 for this year. Trent Williams is mainly want out of Washington because how they handled him with injury situation, their medical staff was minimizing his injuries telling him he could play and later found the injury was more serious than they lead on.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jul 2017
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
                          Polian Bible says no trade.
                          Bad precedent.
                          TT has spoken.
                          He traded for Anthony McFarland mid season in 2006 - gave up a 2nd round draft pick. McFarland solidified the Colts run defense.

Comment

Working...
                          X