• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • maurile
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by PR#1 View Post

It is in the CBA. Gordons contract follows the standard template for contracts established by the CBA. He is a first rounder, 4 years with a 5th year option.

He is under contract for this year for 5.6 million or whatever the amount.

He can walk after this year never showing up again and the only thing the Chargers can do to stop him is to franchise tag him on the 6th year and most likely Telesco wont.
    Your previous post said, "There is nothing in the CBA ..."

I was agreeing with you. Tolling is not addressed in the CBA. It is addressed in the player contract.

I quoted the relevant paragraph from it a few posts ago.

If you don't believe me that tolling an NFL player contract is a thing, google "tolling NFL player contract."

If Gordon sits out entirely this year, he will still be in the fifth year of his contract next season. This is not controversial. Gordon's agents know it and do not argue otherwise.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
      Smooth Operation
      • May 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by maurile View Post
      The position (RB vs. WR, etc.) has nothing to do with this.
      That is exactly what Gordon's legal team would try to argue. The inherent differences between the positions, vis a vis the CBA. It would not surprise me if they do this, whatever contract law says ought to be the case, based upon precedent. And it would be appealed.
      We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Panamamike
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

It is in the CBA. Gordons contract follows the standard template for contracts established by the CBA. He is a first rounder, 4 years with a 5th year option.

He is under contract for this year for 5.6 million or whatever the amount.

He can walk after this year never showing up again and the only thing the Chargers can do to stop him is to franchise tag him on the 6th year and most likely Telesco wont.
        Incorrect. If he doesn't show all season, his contract tolls. Maurile's Post perfectly lays out the situation. There is an ambiguity as to WHEN he needs to report, not IF. To be on the safe side, he should follow the template of Joey Galloway, as to do otherwise jeopardizes his fulfillment of his 5th year and he risks being tolled and having to start next year in the exact same position as this one.

Comment

• Panamamike
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

https://nypost.com/2019/09/08/melvin...-anytime-soon/

if u would like another 30 examples I will gladly provide them. He can NOT sit the entire year and become a FA.

Comment

• Panamamike
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

This could end up in court as a threshhold case.

Galloway is ancient history.
            Gordon is a RB.
            Bell claimed status as a WR.

The next CBA will surely have new position-based provisions.

We are there already with Melvin Gordon III's circumstances.

There are lots of moving parts, as TT says.
            What you call ancient history, i and most every lawyer/agent in football call legal precedent

to be safe he reports by week 9, in fact I will gladly take bets on it. He could take a chance and report just before Nov 29th, but there is a risk in that. I am 100% confident he will not risk getting tolled and being in the exact same position to start 2020.
            Last edited by Panamamike; 09-11-2019, 08:16 PM.

Comment

• PhilaBoltster
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Mar 2019
              • Send PM

When he comes back he can play TE.

Comment

• Panamamike
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by PhilaBoltster View Post
                When he comes back he can play TE.
                HH will be back before Melvin reports. But that did make me laugh.

Comment

• PR#1
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Aug 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Panamamike View Post
                  https://nypost.com/2019/09/08/melvin...-anytime-soon/

if u would like another 30 examples I will gladly provide them. He can NOT sit the entire year and become a FA.
                  The article is incorrect.

According to the CBA adopted in 2011, 2nd round players become FA after 4 years of service.

1st rounders are afforded the same courtesy of becoming FA after 4 years of service except there is a 5th year option. This is a giveaway to allow NFL teams to get their first rounder at bargain basement rates.

Your point about Tolling is accurate only if Gordon held out years 1-4. If he held out years 1-4, then tolling would occur.

He already has 4 years of service which is enough to qualify for Free agency.

Are we saying that 2nd rounders can get FA after 4 years, but 1st rounders with a 5th year option have to play for 5 years to become Free agents so they have to wait an extra year to get the big money deal ? That makes no sense.

My point is tolling does not apply because he already has 4 years of service to be a FA.

But sure, if you could cite a few examples, that would be great.

Comment

• Panamamike
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

According to the CBA adopted in 2011, 2nd round players become FA after 4 years of service.

1st rounders are afforded the same courtesy of becoming FA after 4 years of service except there is a 5th year option. This is a giveaway to allow NFL teams to get their first rounder at bargain basement rates.

Your point about Tolling is accurate only if Gordon held out years 1-4. If he held out years 1-4, then tolling would occur.

Are we saying that 2nd rounders can get FA after 4 years, but 1st rounders with a 5th year option have to play for 5 years to become Free agents so they have to wait an extra year to get the big money deal ? That makes no sense.

My point is tolling does not apply because he already has 4 years of service to be a FA.

Yes, they do have to wait IF the option year is picked up., if it isn't then they are a FA. They also get a much larger bonus. I am done arguing. Would u care to place a wager that Gordon reports? Because he sure as hell wouldn't if he and his team felt like there is any way he could be a FA next year without reporting. Btw, they would also be chirping about it to apply pressure for a trade or getting a deal done. Show me where they have ever said they can go all year without reporting AND be a FA next season....hasn't happened because they know he can't. If you want to put your money where your mouth is, I am all for it. Shall we bet 1000?
                    Last edited by Panamamike; 09-11-2019, 08:41 PM.

Comment

• Panamamike
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Bargain basement rates? The difference in signing bonuses and salary invested in first round picks (esp top5) is the reason for the 5th year option. His salary this season is no bargain basement by any means. The team assumes the risk the player pans out via the guarantees paid out. It does suck relatively if you are drafted late first round and vastly outplay your rookie deal due to the slotting of rookie deals.

Comment

• Panamamike
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...the-full-year/
                        Last edited by Panamamike; 09-11-2019, 09:14 PM.

Comment

• maurile
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

​​​​​​
                          This is entirely incorrect. You don't become a free agent after some number of years of service (or else Tom Brady would be a free agent by now, but he's not). You can become a free agent with zero years of service, or one year of service...

Years of service have nothing to do with becoming a free agent. The way you become a free agent is by not being under contract.

The way to no longer be under contract is by (a) getting cut, or (b) playing out your contract until it ends. Sitting out doesn't help with (b).

You're just making up your own laws now?

No, years of service don't make you a free agent. Not being under contract does. Gordon is still under contract. If he sits out all year, he'll still be under contract next season as well. That's what tolling means.

Are we saying that 2nd rounders can get FA after 4 years, but 1st rounders with a 5th year option have to play for 5 years to become Free agents so they have to wait an extra year to get the big money deal ?
                          Players with four year contracts become free agents after for years of performance (unless they are extended). Players with five year contracts become free agents after five years of performance.

Tolling always applies. And again, nobody ever becomes a free agent based on years of service. Tom Brady has never been a free agent. You become a free agent by no longer being under contract. Gordon still has a year left. If he sits out all season, he'll still have a year left.

I don't know why you're arguing about any of this. None of it is controversial
                          Last edited by maurile; 09-11-2019, 09:26 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X