• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jamrock
    lawyers, guns and money
    • Sep 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
    Continuity with our coaches and their systems is a huge factor.
    for some Charger fans, continuity is a dirty word

Comment

• FoutsFan
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2019
      • Birmingham AL
      • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

Here with the Chargers continuity is a double edged sword. It is great with our coaches often but sometimes we hang on to things that are not working (kickers and ST's) in the name of continuity when they are clearly not working.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
        Smooth Operation
        • May 2017
        • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

I hear ya jamrock.
        Personally, I like the idea of sticking with Pat Meyer.
        As you may remember, I was high on Lamp/Feeney and that is certainly slow to amount to anything.
        We do not play modern football.

Comment

• richpjr
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Nashville
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Shock&Awe View Post

Especially as Philip ages, the less punishment he takes the better. It's not the "sexy" pick, but if your lines are set you're pretty much there.
          Regardless of who our QB is, we should be investing in the oline (and dline for that matter) every year. Clearly protecting Rivers has to be a huge priority.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
            Smooth Operation
            • May 2017
            • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

Regardless of who our QB is, we should be investing in the oline (and dline for that matter) every year. Clearly protecting Rivers has to be a huge priority.
            Yeah buddy.
            I once screamed for a trade up for Lane Johnson.
            Fix it.
            Fix it good.
            We do not play modern football.

Comment

• powderblueboy
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2017
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post
              I think what Jamrock is saying is that based on a typical time frame for a player to develop we are set on the OL. Typically a player gets 3 years to develop and you make an assessment. Its probable that Telesco and the staff feels Feeney going into his 3rd year will only get better. And Lamp will finally have a camp. Tevi will show his progress as well.

So my guess is that Feeney, Lamp and Tevi are expected to show why Telesco drafted them. Its that crucial 3rd year where a kid really starts to show growth.

The interior OL was actually very solid until the last quarter of the season. Maybe they hit a wall. I dont know. But they sucked late in the season. Gordon playing injured didnt help matters.

As a GM you have to be confident in your picks and confident they will be developed. I dont know how many picks i have seen from us over the years that didnt work out on the OL. I have to think we tend to struggle developing OL. And that Telesco isnt that bad. Maybe a combo of the 2.

The thing with Telesco though is that i think he is always forward thinking. Drafting players to take the place of free agents coming up in the future. Like MW for Tyrell. I was a little surprised we went with Mike in that draft. Maybe if a LT is there he is viewed as a replacement for Okung. Just a thought. A guy that can push Tevi at RT. He loves building through the draft and adding depth to create competition.

So on paper i have to wonder if this staff believes the OL pieces are in place. The draft picks have been used to create a stud OL in theory. Okung was a monster free agent signing. Lamp and Feeney were considered the best OGs in the draft and are behind the curve. Pouncey was a big pick up and Quessenbury is developing. Schofield is versatile and can play RT/RG. The investment has been made. The patience while waiting for the yield has to be part of any GMs make up. I expect that the team isnt panicked yet over those players they drafted high. And are expecting the dividends this year from that 3 year investment.

I think we are still in a position OL wise to let the draft come to us. My concern is at DT. We have 2 players. Its such a huge need at this point that going into the draft we are almost forced to reach for a guy because we are so thin.

This is why i tend to think we bring in a guy. Maybe even Liuget. Prior to the draft. But on the flipside is the 2nd wave of free agency. This draft has so many solid DTs that teams may end up dropping higher priced guys and replacing them with this years draft picks. Thats where you can really find value with those post June 1 cuts.
              I think it was a matter of Pouncey wearing down. When healthy, he was able to cover for the sub par guard play of Schofield/Feeney.

Comment

• Fleet
                TPB Founder
                • Jun 2013
                • Cardiff - Poipu
                • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

I think it was a matter of Pouncey wearing down. When healthy, he was able to cover for the sub par guard play of Schofield/Feeney.
                Its a good point you make. Its true. I was hoping those 2 picks of Feeney and Lamp would be our Martin/Frederick type situation. Lets hope Feeney clicks this year in his 3rd year and Lamp shows us all why he was drafted so high.

Im a believer in Lamp.

Comment

• Lone Bolt
                  Oline-Tip of the Spear...
                  • Feb 2019
                  • McLean Illinois
                  • Pipefitter Illinois State University
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

Yep...pays dividends in both protection for your francise QB for his final few chances at a ring...and then when he hangs em' up, you have a solid line in place to help set up a rookie for success.
                  Sadly, regardless of who has been running the front office, the oline has seemed to be down on the priority list with the Bolts for.....like, always. Not saying ignored completely...but we always seem to stop short of really fleshing it out with talent, and settling for a band aid here, or a 7th rounder there...

Look at Dallas...sorry, but Dak Prescott is one of the least talented QBs in the league. But Dallas found him a stellar line and a RB, and Dallas is at least in the mix, year in and year out. If Rivers had that line...whoa...
                  The TPB makes plans....And Jim Harbaugh laughs...

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• like54ninjas
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Oct 2017
                    • Great White North
                    • Draftnik
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post

Its a good point you make. Its true. I was hoping those 2 picks of Feeney and Lamp would be our Martin/Frederick type situation. Lets hope Feeney clicks this year in his 3rd year and Lamp shows us all why he was drafted so high.

Im a believer in Lamp.
                    I concur. Big year for both.
                    My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
                    K9
                    Nasir
                    Tillery
                    Parham
                    Reed

Comment

• Fleet
                      TPB Founder
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Cardiff - Poipu
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

I concur. Big year for both.
                      Its a complicated offense. Both these guys were dominant in college. I just think they are developing slower. We have a tendency to do that on this team. Some guys come in and dominate early but thats typically on the other side of the ball. Even Melvin needed a few years to develop. Now hes primed imo.

Thing is so many QBs in this league can move outside of the pocket and make plays. Players are designed just for that. RPOs etc. Rivers is a pocket passer with almost no movement other than inside the pocket. So plays take time to develop. WRs need time to get open. Its so important to keep Rivers protected while things develop.

Comment

• blueman
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Is it wrong I don't even remember who Trent Scott is?

Comment

• Steve
                          Administrator
                          • Jun 2013
                          • South Carolina
                          • Meteorologist
                          • Send PM

He is the backup OT who we signed as a UDFA from Grambling and then he ended up playing some early in the season when Okung and Barksdale got hurt. He played about half a game vs SF, and then the whole game vs Oakland at RT.

If you want to look at a positive, he is kinda the guy who made it possible to cut Barksdale. Sure, Tevi took Barksdales's starting spot, but they never would have cut the swing OT (Barksdale), unless they had someone else they felt could handle the job.

Trenton Scott
                          Guard
                          SCHOOL: GRAMBLING | CONFERENCE: D-IAA
                          HEIGHT/WEIGHT: 6-4 / 321 | 40: 5.32 | DRAFT YR:2018 Rankings

GRADE
                          PROJECTED ROUND
                          FA
                          Bio:
                          Three-year starter who earned First Team All-SWAC honors in 2017. Named Second Team All-SWAC as a junior. Missed the entire 2014 season after suffering a season-ending injury in the season opener.
                          Pos:
                          Large college left tackle who projects to guard at the next level. Blocks with proper lean, stays square and keeps defenders in front of him. Works his hands throughout the action, keeps his feet moving and controls opponents once engaged at the point of attack. Patient, makes terrific use of angles and slides his feet well in space.
                          Neg:
                          Lacks agility and struggles to finish blocks. Not a natural knee bender. Cannot handle speed rushers off the edge.
                          Analysis:
                          Scott is rarely mentioned outside the scouting community but has the size and underlying ability to develop into a backup interior blocker at the next level.
                          He is the kind of player who gets forgotten because so many people think OT have to have footspeed. They do in college, because so many college teams don't ask their players to kickstep anymore. But if you can kickstep, while you need some it is mostly a technique thing. JUst keep your weight on the inside leg, and keep opening up just enough to stay square vs the OT. An OT is not trying to stop a pass rusher cold, he just has to keep himself between the rushers and the QB.

https://www.chargers.com/team/player...r/trent-scott/

COLLEGE:
                          Last edited by Steve; 03-25-2019, 08:39 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X