• Show
Clear All
  • Steve
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • South Carolina
    • Meteorologist
    • Send PM

There are multiple ways to win championships. The real key is making an offense and defense that compliment each other. A running team, who plays a bend but don't break D will be put in a lot of poor field position and not score very many points. A lot of running teams need attacking defense that quickly gets the ball back, but eventually gives up some big plays. A passing offense needs a D that can defend the pass when the other team tries to keep pace or come from behind.

However, if you can't defend the pass, teams are always going to be able to come back on you.

If you can only run the ball on O, the D will slow you down, you won't be able to keep up in a scoring contest. Eventually, you have to be able to throw.

Comment

• Budsman
      Registered Charger Fan
      • May 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      There are multiple ways to win championships. The real key is making an offense and defense that compliment each other. A running team, who plays a bend but don't break D will be put in a lot of poor field position and not score very many points. A lot of running teams need attacking defense that quickly gets the ball back, but eventually gives up some big plays. A passing offense needs a D that can defend the pass when the other team tries to keep pace or come from behind.

However, if you can't defend the pass, teams are always going to be able to come back on you.

If you can only run the ball on O, the D will slow you down, you won't be able to keep up in a scoring contest. Eventually, you have to be able to throw.
      Sounds like you're saying teams need to be well rounded on offense and defense. I tend to agree.

Comment

• Cdn Bolt
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jan 2019
        • Ontario , Canada
        • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

You know that article is from February 2018 and based off the records off the 2017 season?
        Yes. SOS for the start of the year.

Comment

• Boltjolt
          Dont let the PBs fool ya
          • Jun 2013
          • Henderson, NV
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Cdn Bolt View Post

They had the 19th hardest in fact. IMO I thought they were more dominant too. SB etc Not going to re argue this though

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2...roughest-ride/
          The only difference in our schedules were we played the Bills and Titans and they played the Patriots and Jags...and the Jags stunk.
          It wasn't that much tougher so I call BS on those schedule rankings.

Comment

• Cdn Bolt
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jan 2019
            • Ontario , Canada
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

The only difference in our schedules were we played the Bills and Titans and they played the Patriots and Jags...and the Jags stunk.
            It wasn't that much tougher so I call BS on those schedule rankings.
            Yeah its not that simple. We played many of the same teams but the mix of home/away was different. So teh schedule rankings get the nod sorry

Comment

• like54ninjas
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Oct 2017
              • Great White North
              • Draftnik
              • Send PM

Yes. SOS for the start of the year.
              Is that an accurate reflection of how the season played out? No, because each season brings a new campaign/roster/coaches/injuries/etc for each team. It also never takes into account when in the season, where the games are played, or the injuries each team is dealing with that game week.
              My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
              K9
              Nasir
              Tillery
              Parham
              Reed

Comment

• Boltjolt
                Dont let the PBs fool ya
                • Jun 2013
                • Henderson, NV
                • Send PM

Yeah its not that simple. We played many of the same teams but the mix of home/away was different. So teh schedule rankings get the nod sorry
                Those rankings are based on the previous years records. The Jaguars stunk this year but they went off of the Jags record from the previous season, so those rankings are inaccurate as the season progresses. Playing the Browns this year wasn't like playing the Browns the season before.

If you look at our schedules, it is the same as far as home and away.

We both played road games in Pittsburgh, Seattle, Cleveland, Rams. Only difference is the Chiefs got the Jags at home and Patriots away while we went to Buffalo and played the Titans in London......which imo is a road game no matter who they called the home team.

Sorry, ... I know you want to be right but you just aren't.
                Last edited by Boltjolt; 04-03-2019, 10:59 PM.

Comment

• FoutsFan
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Birmingham AL
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by pacstud View Post

lol..."on watch"...sure, I can live with putting him "on watch". Let's watch him.

Being better/worse than your wins is ridiculous, that's my point. ESPECIALLY in the NFL where it's so tough to win games and the margins are just so damn thin.

You can believe what you want as well. Me, I'll take wins. Sounds like you want a run defense and "real" wins...like what KC got. Those were "real" wins.
                  CDN Bolt said it earlier that wins only count if you dominate (but no actual definition of dominate was given) Maybe KC scores 35 a game so they dominated? But their D gave up 33 a game so did they dominate or did they just score a lot because they had to? So I think now you have to win by 21 to get credit for a win (which I am thinking is going to leave a lot of 1-2 win teams) but then I realized this new "dominate to get a real win" only counts for the Chargers. Any other team that gets a win on a last second FG is just good smart football by teams that know how to win. I am still researching on whether this counts a s double standards? Or maybe triple or even quadruple standards.

Comment

• Cdn Bolt
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Ontario , Canada
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Those rankings are based on the previous years records. The Jaguars stunk this year but they went off of the Jags record from the previous season, so those rankings are inaccurate as the season progresses. Playing the Browns this year wasn't like playing the Browns the season before.

If you look at our schedules, it is the same as far as home and away.

We both played road games in Pittsburgh, Seattle, Cleveland, Rams. Only difference is the Chiefs got the Jags at home and Patriots away while we went to Buffalo and played the Titans in London......which imo is a road game no matter who they called the home team.

Sorry, ... I know you want to be right but you just aren't.
                    Fine . I didn't comb over all the exact games. But doing the total wins by the opponents then NE + JAX = 16 wins. BUF + TEN = 15 wins.

So we still had the harder schedule. 1extra win/16 games = 6.25% harder in fact. So I am still closer to right . Sorry.
                    Last edited by Cdn Bolt; 04-04-2019, 10:31 AM.

Comment

• like54ninjas
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Oct 2017
                      • Great White North
                      • Draftnik
                      • Send PM

Fine . I didn't comb over all the exact games. But doing the total wins by the opponents then NE + JAX = 16 wins. BUF + TEN = 15 wins.

So we still had the harder schedule. 1extra win/16 games = 6.25% harder in fact. So I am still closer to right . Sorry.
                      Did you include how many more earlier time zones games, longer road trips, when in the season games were played against opponents, etc?
                      While I appreciate your point of view, this is not a winning subject you are trying to defend.
                      My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
                      K9
                      Nasir
                      Tillery
                      Parham
                      Reed

Comment

• Panamamike
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

Did you include how many more earlier time zones games, longer road trips, when in the season games were played against opponents, etc?
                        While I appreciate your point of view, this is not a winning subject you are trying to defend.
                        I'll help him out. We had far and away the most travel miles, went 6 weeks between playing in LA, and from round trips to Den, Balt, and going to NE logged 10500 miles from our last game of the season to our defeat in NE. I dont think NE logged that many the whole season.

Comment

• Budsman
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • May 2017
                          • Send PM

You're definately entitled to your point of view and I commend you for taking a stand. It's just not going to be a view many agree with and it's not easy to back up with facts. I'm not going to pile on anymore. Suffice to say I disagree for the reasons listen multiple times in here.

Hopefully next year the bolts win the Lombardi and we don't have to worry about it.

:anchorjump:

Comment

Working...
                          X