• Show
Clear All
  • Fleet
    TPB Founder
    • Jun 2013
    • Cardiff - Poipu
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Jagged View Post

To be fair, there's always a lot of anger in the game day threads....lol. It doesn't matter if they're winning or not. This board has a very high football IQ and can spot stupid shit from a mile away. They don't mind pointing it out.
    Right but the "playing down" to bad teams that we beat was sort of an issue all season. I remember members being pissed about it. There was quite a bit of negativity associated with a team that was 12-4. Games have a way of really bringing out a persons true feelings about the team.

I agree with you. But im just trying to point out that during the season we had many here saying what Cdn is suggesting. Definitely doesn't feel like trolling. I dont think our members were trolling in gameday threads.

Comment

• like54ninjas
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Oct 2017
      • Great White North
      • Draftnik
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Cdn Bolt View Post

First of all there is no right and wrong answer. IMO I still don't think we were a dominant 12-4 team no matter how many loyalists and absolutists here want to tear their shirts up. But I accept people can see us getting thrashed and humiliated by NE on national tv from a different viewpoint and don't want to keep getting into hysterical debates over this.
      Well said. We all have our opinions as what we think this team is and has a chance to be. We are all fans, reason why we're on here. Great to get takes from all sides especially during the offseason.
      My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
      K9
      Nasir
      Tillery
      Parham
      Reed

Comment

• wu-dai clan
        Smooth Operation
        • May 2017
        • Send PM

Our current power ranking is #4.

"The most complete roster in the NFL."

Some answers are wronger than others.
        We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Jagged
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Omaha, Nebraska
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post

Right but the "playing down" to bad teams that we beat was sort of an issue all season. I remember members being pissed about it. There was quite a bit of negativity associated with a team that was 12-4. Games have a way of really bringing out a persons true feelings about the team.

I agree with you. But im just trying to point out that during the season we had many here saying what Cdn is suggesting. Definitely doesn't feel like trolling. I dont think our members were trolling in gameday threads.
          You're definitely right about that, there is always a lot of complaints about the team playing down to their opponents. I don't think Cdn is a troll either, just a 'glass half empty' kind of poster. He didn't mind debating an unpopular opinion so good on him.

Comment

• Budsman
            Registered Charger Fan
            • May 2017
            • Send PM

First of all there is no right and wrong answer. IMO I still don't think we were a dominant 12-4 team no matter how many loyalists and absolutists here want to tear their shirts up. But I accept people can see us getting thrashed and humiliated by NE on national tv from a different viewpoint and don't want to keep getting into hysterical debates over this.
            I disagree, I think we were a 16-0 team that just got unlucky 4 times.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
              Smooth Operation
              • May 2017
              • Send PM

So, what would the narrative be, if the Chargers had lost most of the close games that they won in 2018 ?

Underachievers ?
              Same old Chargers ?

No one is sweeping under the rug the complete beatdown the Chargers received at NE. NO ONE.

I am no "absolutist."
              I deal with the truth about football every day.

Comment

• Xenos
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Feb 2019
                • Send PM

I said I didn't want to belabor this. But there is nothing funny about it. You are free to go back and watch them throwing up 35+ pts a game on avg leading the league so yeah they were IMO. Should have won the SB too. Give credit where it is due. But either way interpret it anyway you like.
                And that's why we're giving you grief now. "Should have". Well guess what, they didn't just like we didn't win last year. Maybe if we had all our linebackers healthy, maybe things are different. If we didn't get BS calls in the first Ravens game, we would have played the Patriots at home versus on the road. But that's what happens when you play the "should have" game.

Ultimately, the NFL is all about match ups. We matched up better against the Ravens in the POs, but not as much against the Patriots. As for the Chiefs, they almost lost to the Broncos in Denver if Keenum hadn't overthrown his pass to Thomas. You also forgot to mention that they put up 35+ points because their defense was giving up 34+ points.

Comment

• Fleet
                  TPB Founder
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Cardiff - Poipu
                  • Send PM

Debate the fucking topic. Stop with the personal jabs. Its pissing me off. This passive aggressive BS.

Comment

• jamrock
                    lawyers, guns and money
                    • Sep 2017
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
                    So, what would the narrative be, if the Chargers had lost most of the close games that they won in 2018 ?

Underachievers ?
                    Same old Chargers ?

No one is sweeping under the rug the complete beatdown the Chargers received at NE. NO ONE.

I am no "absolutist."
                    I deal with the truth about football every day.
                    realist? homer? I like the loyalist and absolutist variations on a long running theme.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                      Smooth Operation
                      • May 2017
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

realist? homer? I like the loyalist and absolutist variations on a long running theme.
                      absolutely...

Comment

• jamrock
                        lawyers, guns and money
                        • Sep 2017
                        • Send PM

Phillip Rivers is fond of saying its a one-score league. Games come down to a few plays here or there. You gotta make those plays. We made more in 2018 than we did in 2017. Every year its the same. There's a few outliers like our shellacking by the Patriots but we also got beat badly by the Chiefs (game 1) and Rams last season too. We weren't one of the top 4 teams in the league.

Comment

• blueman
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

​​​​​​Telesco seems to follow the build mainly through the draft approach of GM's like Bill Polian and Ted Thompson, both of whom were successful at times but are now both unemployed.

We had an easy schedule last year so maybe the 12-4 record may have been magnified. We did get destroyed by a real playoff team in the end. Aside from that Telesco's record has been really middling. Overall he is just .500 over his 6 yrs here.

Putting aside injuries, we have generally been awful vs the run in recent years. NE ran all over us in the playoff loss. Every year we pine for DL help which generally gets disregarded by mgmt.

Again this year we are doing the same thing and expecting a different result. No DL added. Maybe the Thomas Davis and the LB being healthy will help. Maybe they will add an Impact DT. Or maybe none will occur and maybe again they will have injuries and again we will be awful.

Either way, Telesco has to be started to be held to account. If we do well and our run D is finally improved then good , he should stay. If not they should seriously start to look at his body of work.
                          TT has used both the draft and FA to build a team that just missed the playoffs the year before last, and won a decisive victory on the road in the playoffs last year. Arguably one play away from taking the division too.

I do not remember any game being easy last season, so not sure what an "easy schedule" means in this context.

Cannot put injuries aside in talking about the relative strength of any team IMO. They can have such a dramatic effect on a team, as the Chargers know from suffering such team-changing injuries every season in recent memory (like since Rivers was drafted). To ignore this is like admitting an anti-TT agenda IMO, or an anti-GM agenda if discussing another team. The GM can only bring in the players, he cannot keep them from getting injured.

TT has been very savvy and pointed in FA this offseason so far, adding players at position of need and managing the cap well so far via cuts and non-signings, we have about $10 left with possibilities for cutting other contracts to make even more room.

Judging TT on the team he has built to date is more than fair: 13-5 with the aforementioned road playoff win, with crippling injuries late in the season, is quite the accomplishment IMO. About 30 other teams wish they had it so good - KC is a dumpster fire right now and the Rams have significant losses to the team too, arguably due to poor GMing.
                          Last edited by blueman; 04-01-2019, 06:40 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X