• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SYB
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Mar 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Wood, I'm guessing Detrez gets cut in favor of Cox, as long as Cox has a decent preseason. And that's too bad, because I really like Detrez....if it was me, if Cox shines, I would keep Jackson and Detrez and cut Watt...UNLESS they really start using Watt correctly to open up some holes for Cox to pound the rock between the tackles...
    Exactly. My first thought was, how well does this Cox kid block?

Comment

• Fleet
      TPB Founder
      • Jun 2013
      • Cardiff - Poipu
      • Send PM

Listening to the phone call on draft day, it appears TT drafted Stick in round 5 most probably because he thought there was a good chance another team would snap him up in round 6. If we try to stash him on the PS, there's also a fairly high chance he gets poached. Big difference between Cardale and Stick on the PS...the Bolts have had their eye on Stick for weeks...they even told him they would draft him, just that they didn't know what round...Bolts carry 3 QB's...bank on it...the long, 3-year grooming process has begun...when Rivers retires, Stick will be fully groomed and ready to go...AND they can use Stick in some creative sub packages in the meantime...
      Yeah Telesco said they decided to draft him 2 weeks ago. They just were not sure when to take him. He really gushes over him in his post draft PC if you havnt seen that.

​​​​​​https://www.chargers.com/video/tom-t...ess-conference

Comment

• like54ninjas
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Oct 2017
        • Great White North
        • Draftnik
        • Send PM

Originally posted by SYB View Post

Exactly. My first thought was, how well does this Cox kid block?
        Passpro is always a learning process for a rook.
        My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
        K9
        Nasir
        Tillery
        Parham
        Reed

Comment

• like54ninjas
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Oct 2017
          • Great White North
          • Draftnik
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post

Yeah Telesco said they decided to draft him 2 weeks ago. They just were not sure when to take him. He really gushes over him in his post draft PC if you havnt seen that.

​​​​​​https://www.chargers.com/video/tom-t...ess-conference
          TT and staff all seem high on the kid.
          I like his toughness, accuracy, poise, athleticism, and his reported leadership ability. I hope they're creative in ways to use him for the next few seasons.

MikeDub
          K9
          Nasir
          Tillery
          Parham
          Reed

Comment

• Fleet
            TPB Founder
            • Jun 2013
            • Cardiff - Poipu
            • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

TT and staff all seem high on the kid.
            I like his toughness, accuracy, poise, athleticism, and his reported leadership ability. I hope they're creative in ways to use him for the next few seasons.
            Me too bruddah.

Comment

• blueman
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

I would be surprised if Stick was not our QB post Rivers.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                Dont let the PBs fool ya
                • Jun 2013
                • Henderson, NV
                • Send PM

Listening to the phone call on draft day, it appears TT drafted Stick in round 5 most probably because he thought there was a good chance another team would snap him up in round 6. If we try to stash him on the PS, there's also a fairly high chance he gets poached. Big difference between Cardale and Stick on the PS...the Bolts have had their eye on Stick for weeks...they even told him they would draft him, just that they didn't know what round...Bolts carry 3 QB's...bank on it...the long, 3-year grooming process has begun...when Rivers retires, Stick will be fully groomed and ready to go...AND they can use Stick in some creative sub packages in the meantime...
                They will still draft another QB. They aren't settling on Stick for the future. Got too have a backup plan if the original plan is a failure. Next draft or 2021 they will draft another.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                  Smooth Operation
                  • May 2017
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

Passpro is always a learning process for a rook.
                  He runs tall too.
                  Lower pad level is needed.
                  But watch how he moves for someone this big.
                  Check out his production as a receiving back.

Beyond this, I am convinced of the greatness of our current scouting staff, in place since 2012. See the intensity in the eyes of Director of College Scouting Kevin Kelly, while studying prospects in Indy. Our guys are thorough. They are working like crazy on 2020.

We do not play modern football.

Comment

• like54ninjas
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Oct 2017
                    • Great White North
                    • Draftnik
                    • Send PM

Former North Dakota State quarterback Easton Stick had one of the most prolific college football careers of any player in recent history, winning three FCS championships in four seasons in Fargo as Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Carson Wentz's successor. Throughout the process leading up to the NFL draft, Stick produced a draft diary for USA TODAY Sports, as told to Lorenzo Reyes. His third and final entry details how he waited to hear his name called and how he celebrated the hours after he was drafted.

We were at my house in Omaha and had a lot of family with me - aunts, uncles, grandparents, cousins - and about 10 or so of my teammates from North Dakota State and some buddies from high school. I was surrounded by people I love and care about. It was a collective effort to get to this point, so I wanted to share it with everybody.

But I just tried to relax and have fun with the whole thing. I didn't have many expectations going into it; I was just going to enjoy it. But as much as I tried to play it cool, no doubt I was anxious. It's just the fact that you have no control over what's happening. It's crazy. Where you're going to live and the situation you're being put into, you have no say. It was really the first time as an athlete where I couldn't control what was going on. That was difficult, but being around my friends and family was a huge help to eliminate some of that anxiety.

PREVIOUSLY: Easton Stick avoids pro day setback

FIRST ENTRY: North Dakota State QB Easton Stick takes on combine before White House visit

I was around for Day 1 and Day 2 of the draft, but I wasn't glued in front of the TV watching it. We had it on, but we were out for dinner one night and had some people over the other night. But I wasn't paying too much attention then. Day 3 rolled around, and then I was a little more plugged in. But I still couldn't just sit in front of the TV. I think I would've driven myself crazy had I sat there all day. We had cornhole bags set up in the garage and there were people out on the deck, so I had to move around. I got two or three calls and a few text messages from teams saying, "Hey, this is kinda where we see you going and we'd love to get you, but we'll see what happens." But I hadn't heard from the Chargers at all.

I had taken one of my 30 formal visits out there and saw the facility and was around different people in the organization. That was really cool. I loved my time out there. And since it was close to where I trained for the draft and close to where my agents are, I'm familiar with it. It's just a beautiful spot. There's an awesome energy in that building. And sitting down with (offensive coordinator) Ken Whisenhunt and (quarterbacks coach) Shane Steichen and just talking ball was really exciting. I learned a ton on that visit, so I walked away feeling pretty good about that opportunity. It was just whether they would take a quarterback or not and you weren't sure because they hadn't taken one in a while.

We had the ESPN cameras set up in front of the TV so they could get the shot, but I was actually in the other room talking to my mom when my phone started buzzing. I looked down and saw the Santa Ana (California) area code. I picked that up pretty quick. On the other side it was (Chargers general manager) Tom Telesco. I tried to hustle back into the other room and then everyone huddled around me when I took the call. They told me they were taking me with the 28th pick in the fifth round, 166th overall. After that, I talked to the coach, Anthony Lynn. It was pretty special. It was just an overwhelming feeling. I don't even know how to put it into words. This was the culmination of all of my works and dreams and it hit me with a phone call. It's so unique.

My family went crazy. We celebrated for a few minutes and then I did a couple of conference calls for interviews with reporters. My phone was going crazy, but I put it away as best I could. We just stayed at home and it felt like more and more family kept finding their way over to the house. It was a little chilly, but shoot, we had so many people over that we kind of had to suck it up and go outside. We were just hanging out, spending time with people I hadn't seen in years, so we went to bed at like 2 in the morning.

Let me tell you, I slept really well. Best night in a long time. All that anxiety that had been building up for a while was just released. It's still pretty surreal. And I think it will be, maybe, until I get out there. I got some of the early install and playbook-type stuff. Going through that already makes it feel a little more real. Since the Chargers don't start rookie minicamp until two weeks from now, I'll stay in Omaha until about May 9. While it would've been great to get out there right away and meet everyone in the building, it was nice to celebrate with family and friends. This week I'll probably look at figuring out what I need to bring and finding places to live.

Walking into a great organization that's had a ton of success, where the roster is awesome, and with a QB room that has really successful players in it, I'm really excited and eager. Because they know more football than I can possibly imagine right now. I'll attack this next step in my career the way I've attacked every step - just working hard, getting to know the guys, and learning as much as I can as quickly as I can.

MikeDub
                    K9
                    Nasir
                    Tillery
                    Parham
                    Reed

Comment

• Topcat
                      AKA "Pollcat"
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

They will still draft another QB. They aren't settling on Stick for the future. Got too have a backup plan if the original plan is a failure. Next draft or 2021 they will draft another.
                      Bolt, I would say the Chargers will evaluate Stick after one year, then consider other available QB's in the draft...if they see an upgrade with another player, then they consider drafting him...but nothing is set in cement now...way too early...the only thing I will go out on a limb on is that the Bolts carry 3 QB's and don't try to stash Stick on PS...

Comment

• beachcomber
                        & ramblin' man
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

Bolt, I would say the Chargers will evaluate Stick after one year, then consider other available QB's in the draft...if they see an upgrade with another player, then they consider drafting him...but nothing is set in cement now...way too early...the only thing I will go out on a limb on is that the Bolts carry 3 QB's and don't try to stash Stick on PS...
                        and.... that means Cardale is getting cut ??

5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• like54ninjas
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Oct 2017
                          • Great White North
                          • Draftnik
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post
                          and.... that means Cardale is getting cut ??
                          One can only hope!!

MikeDub
                          K9
                          Nasir
                          Tillery
                          Parham
                          Reed

Comment

Working...
                          X