• Show
Clear All
  • Lone Bolt
    Oline-Tip of the Spear...
    • Feb 2019
    • McLean Illinois
    • Pipefitter Illinois State University
    • Send PM

Stick wouldn't last 2 seconds on the practice squad...lol...

The TPB makes plans....And Jim Harbaugh laughs...

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• blueman
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Stick is hardly any worse than any given rookie QB ever trotted out to start, they all look like that at first, the game just isn't there for them. It's like OL, you have to make the investment and be patient with it. If we PS Stick, he'll be gone in an hour cuz some other GM gets it. As others have said, the kid has "It." Neither Tyrod or Jones do, Tyrod is better now, yes, but there's a reason he's a backup. Stick will be a starter and a good one, if not here then for some other lucky team that didn't even have to drop a pick on him.

Comment

• madcaplaughs
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

I'd like to keep Stick over Jones. I would just like the 2 guys who backup Rivers to be able to run. With our O-Line, I think that's a necessity.

Comment

• Steve
          Administrator
          • Jun 2013
          • South Carolina
          • Meteorologist
          • Send PM

Originally posted by screeme18 View Post
          I feel like Cardale has reached what he will be, while Stick is as good as Jones now but has room for growth.

I'll be gobsmacked if Stick is let go
          Jones recent play suggests otherwise.

There are 2 obvious teams who would might like Stick.

Philly is short of QB with Sudfeild breaking his wrist, and Wentz coming back. Stick got NDSU to the Championship so Wentz could win it for them. THey are good friends and would make a good QB room for the Eagles. But do they want to carry 3 QB?

Indy runs the same offense we do, so Stick could step in as a backup and get up to speed in Indy fairly fast. It just depends on what they think of Chad Kelly and Phillip Walker behind Jacoby Brissett. Kelly is an NFL arm with a 10 cent head. If I was them I wouldn't want him as my primary backup, Even though he is doing some good things in PS.
          Last edited by Steve; 08-25-2019, 12:10 PM.

Comment

• Steve
            Administrator
            • Jun 2013
            • South Carolina
            • Meteorologist
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post
            Stick wouldn't last 2 seconds on the practice squad...lol...
            Keep in mind there are only about 80 QB jobs in the NFL. Every team has 2 QB on their active roster. Last year, about half carried a 3rd QB, with a few carrying a 3rd guy on the PS. Another team really can't add him to their PS (they can but then we can play games and it gets messy), so they have to put him on the active roster. Do teams want a very inexperienced 3rd guy like Stick as their primary backup, or do they have the kind of roster to carry 3 QB?

If I was an NFL GM, I don't think I would snag other teams 3rd QB unless it was a team who played the same offense. It is just kinda hard to get a QB up to speed learning the new offense if you don't have TC and OTA's to put the offense in. They aren't going to slow things down, so he is basically a wasted roster spot unless he already knows the scheme. The only teams playing our offense are Indy and us, so that cuts the # of really attractive teams way down.

Comment

• Classic
              Hall Of Fame
              • Dec 2014
              • Send PM

I don't understand the hype for Stick right now, he now has a "IT Factor" Most of you realize he isn't starting on any team now and most teams have a capable backup and aren't snatching up a rookie to develop into something years down the line. Stash him on PS and use that roster spot on players that help us win in 2019.

Comment

• Steve
                Administrator
                • Jun 2013
                • South Carolina
                • Meteorologist
                • Send PM

Rivers is a FA QB this season. If he should pull a Luck, or simply decide he is worth more than we want to pay, then we need another QB next year. If you are saying he was a wasted pick, and a horrible that is one thing. But if as a team we can't find a way to keep developmental players, then that is the kind of thing the Jets or other shitty teams do.

The #1 priority of a GOOD NFL franchise has to be drafting and developing players. Anything else is short term success, and spinning your wheels year after year. It's going to be hard enough taking the next step forward, without pissing away promising players for other teams.

The PS thing is only about getting him through the initial cut downs, and getting him to clear waivers. Once the season starts and injuries happen, the roster spots will be available, and we can protect him on the active roster.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                  Dont let the PBs fool ya
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Henderson, NV
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Cardale made a few decent completions, but didn't drive the Bolts to any TD's. Stick, in limited action, took charge and drove the Bolts TWICE for TD's. 'Nuff said...
                  If thats good enough for you then i guess Lynn has no choice lol. I mean we got posters here wanting to trade Tyrod who did pretty decent against their first team D(had better stats than Stick) while Stick did well against the bubblers. Makes perfect sense.

By that logic we should sign Geno Smith again if he gets cut since he played his best game against our bubblers.

Comment

• Boltgang74
                    We Are The Storm!
                    • Aug 2018
                    • Send PM

Dont stash Stick just to keep Jones on the team.That would be idiotic.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                      Dont let the PBs fool ya
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Henderson, NV
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                      Rivers is a FA QB this season. If he should pull a Luck, or simply decide he is worth more than we want to pay, then we need another QB next year. If you are saying he was a wasted pick, and a horrible that is one thing. But if as a team we can't find a way to keep developmental players, then that is the kind of thing the Jets or other shitty teams do.

The #1 priority of a GOOD NFL franchise has to be drafting and developing players. Anything else is short term success, and spinning your wheels year after year. It's going to be hard enough taking the next step forward, without pissing away promising players for other teams.

The PS thing is only about getting him through the initial cut downs, and getting him to clear waivers. Once the season starts and injuries happen, the roster spots will be available, and we can protect him on the active roster.
                      Personally id cut Cardale to keep Sticks potentual around. But the calls to trade Tyrod for Stick to be the backup are absurd.

Comment

• SYB
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Mar 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

Keep in mind there are only about 80 QB jobs in the NFL. Every team has 2 QB on their active roster. Last year, about half carried a 3rd QB, with a few carrying a 3rd guy on the PS. Another team really can't add him to their PS (they can but then we can play games and it gets messy), so they have to put him on the active roster. Do teams want a very inexperienced 3rd guy like Stick as their primary backup, or do they have the kind of roster to carry 3 QB?

If I was an NFL GM, I don't think I would snag other teams 3rd QB unless it was a team who played the same offense. It is just kinda hard to get a QB up to speed learning the new offense if you don't have TC and OTA's to put the offense in. They aren't going to slow things down, so he is basically a wasted roster spot unless he already knows the scheme. The only teams playing our offense are Indy and us, so that cuts the # of really attractive teams way down.
                        I don't feel like he'd be likely to get snagged off of our PS. However, just to play devils advocate, the Eagles do offer an interesting possible option of a team who may. There is a lot of talk about Sudfeld being a target of the Colts. And if that were to happen, the Eagles would have grampa McCown and a really shitty Cody Kessler as backups. Stick is a similar type player to Wentz, albeit a lesser athlete. And obviously already has a comfort level with him from their time together at NDSU and at very least has some upside, as opposed to those other 2 guys currently there.

Comment

• Steve
                          Administrator
                          • Jun 2013
                          • South Carolina
                          • Meteorologist
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Personally id cut Cardale to keep Sticks potentual around. But the calls to trade Tyrod for Stick to be the backup are absurd.
                          It depends on what we can get. I agree, we aren't going to get that much in a trade, so there is no way I would do it. If they are willing to massively overpay, then fine, see ya Tyrod. But it won't happen.

with so few PS spots, I can't see us keeping both Cardale and Easton. We could, but I don't think we will. When I look at the roster, there are players we want on our own roster I would like to see us keep on the PS. And since TT took over, we have found a fair # of players from other teams as well. With the possible exception of OL, I can't see us stockpiling to many players in one position group on our PS.

Comment

Working...
                          X