• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sonorajim
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
    Five of our projected top 8 OL have a lot of improvement to do. Count me worried.
    I'm not confident that we'll improve a great deal on the #4 scoring offense that LAC put on the field in 2018 but will be totally shocked if we are not among top 10 run, pass, scoring. With an improved D there will be more and better opportunities.
    Strictly addressing 5 OL starters, LG, RG, RT need to improve. That may happen without personnel change. Either way, the depth gets stronger. The LAC went 12-4 with them starting. As depth they're not too shabby. I expect Lamp to dominate one of the OG slots. Scho won a SB at RT, might be asked to move over. Balance of the depth are currently potential. Time for Lynn, Whiz & Meyer to earn their pay. The young OL at TC will be one of the most exciting pos to watch after the pads go on. They'll be working against very good DL personnel.
    Last edited by sonorajim; 05-05-2019, 08:26 PM.

Comment

• Tol
      From Accounting
      • Mar 2019
      • Carlsbad
      • Send PM

Revised and Updated 53 Man Roster Prediction:

Offense - 25

Starter Backup 3rd 4th
      QB Rivers Tyrod Taylor Easton Stick
      RB Melvin Gordon Austin Ekeler Justin Jackson *
      FB Derek Watt *Detrez Newsome
      WR1 Keenan Allen Travis Benjamin Geremy Davis
      WR2 Mike Williams Dylan Cantrell
      TE Hunter Henry Virgil Green Sean Culkin
      LT Russell Okung
      LG Dan Feeney Scott Quessenberry
      C Mike Pouncey Cole Toner
      RG Forrest Lamp Michael Scholfield
      RT Trey Pipkins Sam Tevi

Defense - 25
      Starter Backup 3rd 4th
      DE Joey Bosa Isaac Rochell Anthony Lanier
      NT Brandon Mebane Justin Jones
      DT Jerry Tillery Damion Square TY McGill
      LEO Melvin Ingram Uchenna Nwosu
      OTTO Thomas Davis Emeke Egbule
      MIKE Denzel Perryman Drue Tranquill
      WILL Kyzir White Jatavis Brown
      RCB Casey Hayward Desmond King
      SS Derwin James Adrian Phillips
      FS Nasir Adderley Rayshawn Jenkins
      LCB Trevor Williams Michael Davis Brandon Facyson

Practice Squad - 10
      P/S Offense P/S Defense
      OT Trent Scott DT Cortez Broughton
      OC Tanner Volson DE Patrick Afriyie
      TE Daniel Helm LB Tre'Von Johnson
      RB Jeremy Cox CB Kemon Hall
      WR Artavis Scott SS Jaylen Watkins

Special Teams - 3
      K Michael Badgley
      P Tyler Newsome
      LS Mike Windt

A lot of tough decisions to make. I'm looking forward to camp battles and Pre-Season.

Another possible best-5 starting OL could be Okung-Lamp-Pouncey-Schofield-Pipkins. And the more I think about it, the more I like it. It all starts with who wins the RT position. Lamp? Tevi? Pipkins? If Pipkins is the answer at RT, then Lamp would likely take one of the OG spots. If he can play LG better than Feeney, then why not leave RG to Schofield?

There's a lot of depth at Defensive Tackle, so they might put Cortez Broughton on the practice squad just like they did to Rochell who is also a 7th round pick. That way you can keep TY McGill who "offers versatility at both spots along the interior." -source

I will say this, our defense is STACKED!!!

Comment

• Boltjolt
        Dont let the PBs fool ya
        • Jun 2013
        • Henderson, NV
        • Send PM

Jaylen Watkins i dont believe is practice squad eligible. He has been in the league since 2014 and on a roster the whole time...cept last year w/ us on IR.
        Last edited by Boltjolt; 05-30-2019, 10:27 AM.

Comment

• Formula 21
          The Future is Now
          • Jun 2013
          • Republic of San Diego
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Tol View Post

Offense - 25

Starter Backup 3rd 4th
          LT Russell Okung
          RT Trey Pipkins Sam Tevi

Defense - 25
          Starter Backup 3rd 4th

Practice Squad - 10
          P/S Offense P/S Defense

Special Teams - 3
          K Michael Badgley
          P Tyler Newsome
          LS Mike Windt

A lot of tough decisions to make. I'm looking forward to camp battles and Pre-Season.

Another possible best-5 starting OL could be Okung-Lamp-Pouncey-Schofield-Pipkins. And the more I think about it, the more I like it. It all starts with who wins the RT position. Lamp? Tevi? Pipkins? If Pipkins is the answer at RT, then Lamp would likely take one of the OG spots. If he can play LG better than Feeney, then why not leave RG to Schofield?

There's a lot of depth at Defensive Tackle, so they might put Cortez Broughton on the practice squad just like they did to Rochell who is also a 7th round pick. That way you can keep TY McGill who "offers versatility at both spots along the interior." -source

Good job. I may not agree with it all, but this roster is stacked and not everybody is going to make the final 53. We need one guy to step up at RT or LG.
          Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
          The Wasted Decade is done.
          Build Back Better.

Comment

• SYB
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Mar 2019
            • Send PM

Offense - 25

Starter Backup 3rd 4th
            LT Russell Okung
            RT Trey Pipkins Sam Tevi

Defense - 25
            Starter Backup 3rd 4th

Practice Squad - 10
            P/S Offense P/S Defense

Special Teams - 3
            K Michael Badgley
            P Tyler Newsome
            LS Mike Windt

Solid work, but here's my take.

Watkins isn't a SS or PS eligible for that matter. Artavis was very likely making the squad before getting hurt, so I'd slot him over Davis and/or Cantrell right now. And I would guess Broughton over Lanier at this point, as guys like Square or Tillery could play the "big DE" spot in a pinch. Which was actually what Square did a bit of while Bosa was out. Hell, Broughton could likely play there too, as Cincy had him line up everywhere and his get off is nasty.

Comment

• Tol
              From Accounting
              • Mar 2019
              • Carlsbad
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
              Jaylen Watkins i dont believe is practice squad eligible. He has been in the league since 2014 and on a roster the whole time...cept last year w/ us on IR.
              Now that I've looked into it, I think you're right. With just two seasons he might have been eligible, but he's got at least 3: '14, '16, and '17.
              If there's anyone else I listed as P/S who isn't actually eligible, then just ignore it. Tre'Von Johnson probably isn't eligible either.

Originally posted by SYB View Post

Solid work, but here's my take.

Watkins isn't a SS or PS eligible for that matter. Artavis was very likely making the squad before getting hurt, so I'd slot him over Davis and/or Cantrell right now. And I would guess Broughton over Lanier at this point, as guys like Square or Tillery could play the "big DE" spot in a pinch. Which was actually what Square did a bit of while Bosa was out. Hell, Broughton could likely play there too, as Cincy had him line up everywhere and his get off is nasty.
              Watkins is in the Safety group. But I think it will be hard for them to keep more than 4 safeties. A 5th safety would have to have S/T value. Phillips, Jenkins and CB Facyson all have S/T experience and roles.

I agree, Artavis had a good chance to make the 53 last season, but that's still an unknown. Coming off an injury is an uphill climb. S/T contribution will factor in. So in that regard I give Davis the edge for now, since he played some S/T last season, or maybe it was the preseason, I forget. From what I've heard about Cantrell, he should be a lock as WR4.

If they keep Broughton, then I think they would cut McGill. They just re-signed Square, so 5 interior guys should be the max with all the other defensive talent they want to hold on it elsewhere. I doubt they rob DE to pay DT. Chuckie will tell you good pass rushers are hard to find, and I have a feeling Lanier is a better pass rusher on the edge than any of the interior guys, bar Tillery.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                Smooth Operation
                • May 2017
                • Send PM

IMHO...

10 DBs--Facyson, Watkins (9&10).
                Trent Scott over Cole Toner--OT upside valued over emergency C.
                Scott to PS is a guarantee poach.
                We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Steve
                  Administrator
                  • Jun 2013
                  • South Carolina
                  • Meteorologist
                  • Send PM

Watkins may be listed in the S group, but to date most of his playing time (in Philly) was at CB. Because of that, they may be willing to keep extra S, since he adds depth at both S and CB. It will just all depend on how well everyone plays (CB and S). They won't cut a good S, just to keep a half-assed CB. But they won't keep extra S unless they are really good either. But Watkins is kinda a wildcard because while they feel his best position in our D is FS, he has been a good CB in the NFL. FWIW, almost all S have ST value, although I would bet Derwin James won't get a chance to use his skills on ST, much if at all.

Everyone can keep projecting Lanier to be better outside than inside player, but all of his playing time, including the 5 sacks he had for Washington in 2017 were all with him lined up as a 3 tech. He can do both, but before everyone looks at his profile on Chargers.com and say he is too small or too something else, maybe you should do your homework and at least watch his highlights, if not how he played in 2017.

McGill is amazingly quick, which is a good thing to have in a 3 tech. He will probably get a lot of attention from our fans in PS. He was among the most productive/disruptive DT in football last PS. The problem is that he doesn't use his hands well, so while he can beat backups, he is invisible against starts, like he was in the almost 100 snaps he got for us last year. If he uses his hands and can learn to shed blocks, then he can be an impact player for us and a solid part of a rotation. However, he is a 5th-year player, so he is just about out of time. Odds are he won't learn to use his hands. I hope I am wrong, because his quickness could make him special. But most players his age are at the make it or break it stage.

It always depends on how everyone plays. They don't make a roster focused on any one position group or even one side of the ball. Coaches will be looking at the fringe players on both sides of the ball, and even the starters in front of them. Roster dynamics are a tough thing to predict because they are incredibly complicated. Remember, at a minimum, you need at least 1 backup (who can play) for every 2 guys on the field (3 guys cover 2 spots for playing and backup). Ideally, you would want a backup for every player, but normally there are 15+ guys who play a regular role on each side of the ball, so some compromises must be made. If you think of pre-game intro with 11 starters on O and 11 on D and a backup for each, that would give you 44 total, plus 3 ST is 47 of the 53.

The other thing to remember is that while fans get all excited about the final 53 cutdown, NFL GM's don't stop there by any means. TT typically finds some decent players in the next couple of weeks, so the last 4-5 guys on the "final 53" are not even going to be on the roster after that (unless they get hurt). That doesn't include the PS, or other transactions for injuries.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                    Dont let the PBs fool ya
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Henderson, NV
                    • Send PM

Whats the infactuation with Facyson? I mean if he beats out somebody great but I don't expect him to make the team and he has PS eligiblity.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                      Dont let the PBs fool ya
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Henderson, NV
                      • Send PM

Now that I've looked into it, I think you're right. With just two seasons he might have been eligible, but he's got at least 3: '14, '16, and '17.
                      If there's anyone else I listed as P/S who isn't actually eligible, then just ignore it. Tre'Von Johnson probably isn't eligible either.

Watkins is in the Safety group. But I think it will be hard for them to keep more than 4 safeties. A 5th safety would have to have S/T value. Phillips, Jenkins and CB Facyson all have S/T experience and roles.

I agree, Artavis had a good chance to make the 53 last season, but that's still an unknown. Coming off an injury is an uphill climb. S/T contribution will factor in. So in that regard I give Davis the edge for now, since he played some S/T last season, or maybe it was the preseason, I forget. From what I've heard about Cantrell, he should be a lock as WR4.

If they keep Broughton, then I think they would cut McGill. They just re-signed Square, so 5 interior guys should be the max with all the other defensive talent they want to hold on it elsewhere. I doubt they rob DE to pay DT. Chuckie will tell you good pass rushers are hard to find, and I have a feeling Lanier is a better pass rusher on the edge than any of the interior guys, bar Tillery.
                      Especially when you trade good ones you already have away lol. Chuckie is a terrible GM imo.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                        Smooth Operation
                        • May 2017
                        • Send PM

Whats the infactuation with Facyson? I mean if he beats out somebody great but I don't expect him to make the team and he has PS eligiblity.
                        Facyson has the prototype size for gusD. Is there someone else to be CB#5/ST ?
                        We do not play modern football.

Comment

• SYB
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Mar 2019
                          • Send PM

Especially when you trade good ones you already have away lol. Chuckie is a terrible GM imo.
                          I thought that was a really odd person to cite as well. Dude dumped a top 3 pass rusher and took Ferrel over Allen. The later may work out, but damn did it seem like mistake at the time.

Comment

Working...
                          X