• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Boltnut
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

Josh Allen was eventually drafted as an OLB... so I guess we'll never know.

Comment

• Steve
      Administrator
      • Jun 2013
      • South Carolina
      • Meteorologist
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

Yeah, not the smartest guy. TB may have to rely on Nassib and rookie Nelson for outside pass rush until JPP can come back (early November?). But the point I was trying to make is that the pressure will come up the middle via Devin White.
      IT's not clear if either JPP or Nassib has the speed to play that far outside. At DE, it was fine, but OLB tend to rush from a bit wider alignment, so it remains to be seen.

AS far as White goes, it goes back to the edge rushers. You can blitz and rush wherever you want, but in the end it all comes down to surrounding the QB with rushers. if White is the only rusher who is getting pressure, then they are in big trouble. QB will just slide, and the OG will just wait on him as a rusher. White has speed and explosiveness, but if he has to line up toe to toe with an OG, who expects him to come, then he loses his effectiveness. Most ILB are more effective as a change of pace type rusher, not an every down option.

The other thing to look at was how effective was the Jets D last year, and before when Bowles was blitzing that much? The starters are OK on paper, but injuries really screwed them last year, and they are not deep.

Comment

• Bolts223
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Apr 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

You are too focused on season ending injuries. Then there are the types of injuries were players play at 50%. These can be mitigated by rest, or limited play in easy victories. Remember, the Pets lost 38-3 that final game; they didn't show up according to Patriot commentators. With such easy victories, one can essentially save players like Gronk for the playoffs. He was in & out the whole year, but that wretched division still couldn't beat the Patriots without the aid of one freak play. Other than that one, none of those other games were close.

The old rule of throwing out the book when you play within the division doesn't pertain to the AFC East refuse. Patriots routinely run up the score on those clods.
        My point is that injuries still mainly come down to luck, not strength of schedule. The Patriots have had years where they have suffered quite a few injuries.

The Patriots are a complete anomaly for this era. There are plenty of teams that get loaded on talent but they aren't able to sustain it like the Seahawks due to the salary cap and free agency. When you have the greatest QB and the greatest HC of all time you are at such a competitive advantage over every team in the league right off the bat. The Patriots can have multiple high round picks bust and it just doesn't matter. You can trade Brandin Cooks away for a 1st round pick that doesn't play at all this season due to injury and it just doesn't matter. You can lose Malcolm Butler in FA and it just doesn't matter. You can have Gronk look like a shell of himself and it just doesn't matter.

As long as Brady is the QB and Belichick is the Head Coach of the New England Patriots, they will always be the favorite going into any season. The chances that you'll see a HC/QB pairing of this caliber is so exceedingly rare that it may as well be impossible to ever happen again.

No other team in the NFL is like the Patriots in this regard. The Patriots are almost never the most talented team, but they are always the smartest and most well-coached team. No other team would be able to consistently compete with that over a long period of time.
        Last edited by Bolts223; 05-26-2019, 04:24 PM.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
          Smooth Operation
          • May 2017
          • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

I concur. Raturds D is going to be improved. I really like their young DTs from the 18 draft. CB & LB are their big areas of weakness to be exploited.
          JA is like 6' 5" 265# w/burst and bend. I can't see how that doesn't project to DE.
          What I take note of with Raiturds is AB + Josh Jacobs.

I think Jacobs is going to be a very good NFL player. I see a powerful, explosive RB. And AB will be a factor now.

The Oline might just give Carr what he needs. I smell trouble folks. You've been warned...

:shrug: :help: :coffee:
          We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Boltjolt
            Dont let the PBs fool ya
            • Jun 2013
            • Henderson, NV
            • Send PM

I think Suh is being overlooked, somehow.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/new...n-the-interior

His age might be an issue eventually. But he's had good pff numbers consistently his last 6 years. I think he'll be solid again this year. Playing next to Vita Vea (who had a pretty good 2nd half of last season) will allow him to move into the 3-tech position (a position his body type is better suited for). I expect the Bucs run defense to improve this year. And I think the DT's will tie up OL and let Devin White have some free runs to the QB next year on middle blitzes. Must get to those NFC South QB's quickly to have an effect on the pass defense. I think the Bucs did a great job addressing their needs through the draft and FA. Will they catch up to the pack..? We'll see. The NFC South is brutal!
            Well I always take PFF with a grain of salt with how they grade things.
            Sure there might be some merit but the Rams run defense was shit last season and he was right in the middle of it and they didn't want him back. KC didn't want him and they were the teams last against the run.
            If our run defense was that bad there isn't a sole on here that would be wanting him back.

Comment

• Boltnut
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
              Well I always take PFF with a grain of salt with how they grade things.
              Sure there might be some merit but the Rams run defense was shit last season and he was right in the middle of it and they didn't want him back. KC didn't want him and they were the teams last against the run.
              If our run defense was that bad there isn't a sole on here that would be wanting him back.
              The Rams run a 3-4 system that values getting after the QB first and foremost. Wade loves to aggressively attack. And that leaves them vulnerable to the run. Shooting gaps and getting occasional tackles behind the LOS is great, but it also allows large allies other times for RB's to dash through gaping holes for big runs.

And then there are other 3-4 defenses that go with big space-eaters at NT and DE. Bears, Ravens, and Texans have big guys up front that occupy blockers and allow their LB's to run free, make plays, and shoot gaps. BTW... all three of these teams are superb against the run and also rank top-10 in points allowed. Jacksonville improved their run defense by picking up Marcell Darius and putting him next to Malik Jackson. They were another team that was top-10 in points allowed. I would say that the Chiefs are more like the Rams... sacrificing run stoutness to go aggressively after the QB. Of course bothe Rams and Chiefs have explosive offenses to keep up with the points their gambling defenses give up. Bears, Ravens, Texans, and Jags don't have that luxury...

Comment

• Boltnut
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Feb 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

What I take note of with Raiturds is AB + Josh Jacobs.

I think Jacobs is going to be a very good NFL player. I see a powerful, explosive RB. And AB will be a factor now.

The Oline might just give Carr what he needs. I smell trouble folks. You've been warned...

:shrug: :help: :coffee:
                I agree. AB and Jacobs (along with Tyrell) give Carr some weapons. If their new OT Brown transitions well... watch out. Still a lot of moving parts, though... If their offense can sustain drives, it will give that defense a breather. I will be watching to see what rookie WR Renfro does, too. AB and TW could create a lot of space for Renfro underneath. Jacobs is dangerous as a pass-catcher...

Comment

• Boltnut
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

IT's not clear if either JPP or Nassib has the speed to play that far outside. At DE, it was fine, but OLB tend to rush from a bit wider alignment, so it remains to be seen.

AS far as White goes, it goes back to the edge rushers. You can blitz and rush wherever you want, but in the end it all comes down to surrounding the QB with rushers. if White is the only rusher who is getting pressure, then they are in big trouble. QB will just slide, and the OG will just wait on him as a rusher. White has speed and explosiveness, but if he has to line up toe to toe with an OG, who expects him to come, then he loses his effectiveness. Most ILB are more effective as a change of pace type rusher, not an every down option.

The other thing to look at was how effective was the Jets D last year, and before when Bowles was blitzing that much? The starters are OK on paper, but injuries really screwed them last year, and they are not deep.
                  With Vita Vea and Suh providing inside pass rush, I doubt if an OG is going toe-to-toe with White. If that's the plan, then that means Suh and/or Vea are getting one-on-ones. I'd venture to say that the Bucs would take that... Last year, Suh was eating up double teams for Donald. And Vea was eating up double-teams for McCoy. Now you have two guys that used to command a majority of the other team's double-teams on the same interior... then, occasionally bring White up the middle...? That's a nightmare.

Comment

• like54ninjas
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Oct 2017
                    • Great White North
                    • Draftnik
                    • Send PM

Yes. Raiders' strength on defense is their interior DL. The rest of the defense... waiting on guys to play up to their draft slots... If Gareon Conley continues to develop and Trayvon Mullen can take over at the CB position opposite Conley... they might be decent. Karl Joseph and LaMarcus Joyner will probably provide stability on the backend.
                    Add Abram to that safety group.
                    My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
                    K9
                    Nasir
                    Tillery
                    Parham
                    Reed

Comment

• Steve
                      Administrator
                      • Jun 2013
                      • South Carolina
                      • Meteorologist
                      • Send PM

With Vita Vea and Suh providing inside pass rush, I doubt if an OG is going toe-to-toe with White. If that's the plan, then that means Suh and/or Vea are getting one-on-ones. I'd venture to say that the Bucs would take that... Last year, Suh was eating up double teams for Donald. And Vea was eating up double-teams for McCoy. Now you have two guys that used to command a majority of the other team's double-teams on the same interior... then, occasionally bring White up the middle...? That's a nightmare.

Thats how blocking schemes work for the most part. OL read the blitz, then everyone gets a guy. IF TB is going to rush just 4 guys (with White being the 4th), then what is the point?

Comment

• Panamamike
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Suh was eating up double teams for Donald? LOL. NOBODY would double suh and leave donald 1 on 1. Suh took most of the season off and showed up for the playoffs

Comment

• Boltnut
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

Add Abram to that safety group.
                          Absolutely. Nickle and dime packages for sure.

Comment

Working...
                          X