• Show
Clear All
  • Boltjolt
    Dont let the PBs fool ya
    • Jun 2013
    • Henderson, NV
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Yep...just watch...the Cheatriots will keep Inman around long enough to grill him for info on our playbook and other inside info, then cut him loose just before the final 53...
    Seems they have good info of our playbook already.
    ​​​​​​​
    Do we even play the Patriots next season? Something like that would happen if we played them the next week or something. Not now before TC and I don't think we play them in the regular season.

Comment

• sonorajim
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by boltfanseattle View Post

I'm not saying we need to switch to a 3-4, just that Gus needs to be up to the level of intelligence that Wade is.

Also, keep in mind that Dante Scarnecchia is the best offensive line coach in the NFL. He turns average O-linemen into studs. And with Bradys quick release, we can't count on our Dline dictating the game initially. So it'll be a matter LBers that can stop the run and pass, and a chess like Secondary being effective and unpredictable. If we can do that, our Dline should get the pressure it wants as a result(as opposed to the other way around). Also, I'm not sure how much we employ it, but we should consider stealing some of those "Amoeba" looks as well. Ravens are terrorizers with it.

None of this is easy though. Hopefully we're up to the task if Round 2 comes.
      Everything is a team effort. I cannot fault Dante's record. It's likely that working for and with BB & TB has helped but his OL product has been solid & consistent. It's no accident that NE has the record that they have.
      Regards beating them, exploiting our talent matchups comes to mind. We have guys who can beat their players if we do not field too many 2nd - 4th string depth for NE to target.

Comment

• Steve
        Administrator
        • Jun 2013
        • South Carolina
        • Meteorologist
        • Send PM

2 big keys to the NE running game were lost this offseason. Trent Brown and Gronk. Hard to make the power run game go without a TE who can block and an OT who can handle defenders man on man. Isiah Wynn is a nice prospect, but he has yet to play a regular season down in the NFL. There is no TE in football who is anywhere near the player Gronk was. Ben Watson and Austin Sefarian-Jenkins are solid players, but they are not going to make anyone forget Gronk. Neither is anywhere near the blocker Gronk was.

Comment

• Topcat
          AKA "Pollcat"
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          2 big keys to the NE running game were lost this offseason. Trent Brown and Gronk. Hard to make the power run game go without a TE who can block and an OT who can handle defenders man on man. Isiah Wynn is a nice prospect, but he has yet to play a regular season down in the NFL. There is no TE in football who is anywhere near the player Gronk was. Ben Watson and Austin Sefarian-Jenkins are solid players, but they are not going to make anyone forget Gronk. Neither is anywhere near the blocker Gronk was.
          So, Steve, you're saying that this year the Cheatriots are weaker and more beatable, even at home?

Comment

• beachcomber
            & ramblin' man
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

not only do they have Isaiah Wynn making his inaugural appearance, they more than likely have close to three quarters of their (ten) draft picks set to be contributors, and.... that's on top of their previous SB roster.
            5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• Boltnut
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

So, Steve, you're saying that this year the Cheatriots are weaker and more beatable, even at home?
              No, they just re-loaded...

WR N'Keal Harry
              RB Damian Harris
              OT Yodney Cajuste
              OG Hajalte Frodholdt

Comment

• chargers1316
                Registered Charger Fan
                • May 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

No, they just re-loaded...

WR N'Keal Harry
                RB Damian Harris
                OT Yodney Cajuste
                OG Hajalte Frodholdt
                They reloaded and their divisional opponents stink and are in constant turmoil. They will be likely be the 1 seed again and will likely be 6-0 in the division...5-1 at worst.

Comment

IMO, the Patriots are overrated. Frequently, the best team does not win the Super Bowl and last season's Patriots demonstrated that concept for us all. They were a team with a losing road record that lost to three teams with a losing record and lost twice in December.

We had zero starting LBs, a terrible defensive game plan, and we executed much worse than we normally did during the season (none of which had anything to do with the Patriots), so they were able to move the ball, but the refs flat out gave them 17 net points in the first half by extending two drives that had been stopped with bad calls and reversing the punt fumble out of bounds call to a recovery for the Patriots even though the video evidence was far from conclusive either way.

Once the refs stopped extending Patriot possessions and giving them extra possessions, we were able to win the second half despite being depleted.

To be clear, I respect that they took advantage of their opportunities during the playoffs, but I think people in general regard the Patriots way too highly. They simply are not as good as some think they are.

Honestly, if Rivers takes the sack against Denver, I think the Chargers, with no road field disadvantage, would have won the Super Bowl as the Patriots were a completely different animal on the road, the Colts were a fairly easy out, and the Rams had nothing in the Super Bowl.

With a few minor quibbles, I think we did pretty well in the draft and I like our chances this year versus those of other teams (keeping in mind that no one team is a prohibitive favorite to win it all).

Comment

• Panamamike
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post
                    not only do they have Isaiah Wynn making his inaugural appearance, they more than likely have close to three quarters of their (ten) draft picks set to be contributors, and.... that's on top of their previous SB roster.
                    So a bunch as of yet unprovem assets including wynn and his projected move to LT.

Comment

• AK47
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • May 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post
                      IMO, the Patriots are overrated. Frequently, the best team does not win the Super Bowl and last season's Patriots demonstrated that concept for us all. They were a team with a losing road record that lost to three teams with a losing record and lost twice in December.
                      I would say the team that wins the SB is one which was:

1. on hot streak
                      2. more physical than opponents
                      3. benefited from luck

Comment

• jamrock
                        lawyers, guns and money
                        • Sep 2017
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

We had zero starting LBs, a terrible defensive game plan, and we executed much worse than we normally did during the season (none of which had anything to do with the Patriots), so they were able to move the ball, but the refs flat out gave them 17 net points in the first half by extending two drives that had been stopped with bad calls and reversing the punt fumble out of bounds call to a recovery for the Patriots even though the video evidence was far from conclusive either way.

Once the refs stopped extending Patriot possessions and giving them extra possessions, we were able to win the second half despite being depleted.

To be clear, I respect that they took advantage of their opportunities during the playoffs, but I think people in general regard the Patriots way too highly. They simply are not as good as some think they are.

Honestly, if Rivers takes the sack against Denver, I think the Chargers, with no road field disadvantage, would have won the Super Bowl as the Patriots were a completely different animal on the road, the Colts were a fairly easy out, and the Rams had nothing in the Super Bowl.

With a few minor quibbles, I think we did pretty well in the draft and I like our chances this year versus those of other teams (keeping in mind that no one team is a prohibitive favorite to win it all).
                        Who was the best team last year?

Comment

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

Who was the best team last year?
                          That is a very good question. IMO, with all teams at full strength, I could not put the Patriots any better than 4th. My rankings among last year's playoff teams would be:

1. Chargers
                          2. Saints
                          3. Rams
                          4. Patriots
                          5. Chiefs
                          6. Ravens
                          7. Bears
                          8. Cowboys
                          9. Eagles
                          10. Seahawks
                          11. Colts
                          12. Texans

IMO, at full strength, the Chargers and Saints were very close to each other and very slightly better than the Rams, Patriots and Chiefs. The Ravens and Cowboys were slightly underrated while the Colts were overrated by most.

Since there is not a huge margin between the top teams, a team that I have ranked lower could beat a team that I have ranked higher, especially at home in a one game scenario. But generally, if the teams played at full strength 100 times on a neutral field, I think the order I have the teams ranked would prevail.

Naturally, that is just my own personal opinion just as it is that the team that wins the Super Bowl in many seasons is not actually the best team.

Comment

Working...
                          X