• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • beachcomber
    & ramblin' man
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post
    IMO, the Patriots are overrated. Frequently, the best team does not win the Super Bowl and last season's Patriots demonstrated that concept for us all. They were a team with a losing road record that lost to three teams with a losing record and lost twice in December.

We had zero starting LBs, a terrible defensive game plan, and we executed much worse than we normally did during the season (none of which had anything to do with the Patriots), so they were able to move the ball, but the refs flat out gave them 17 net points in the first half by extending two drives that had been stopped with bad calls and reversing the punt fumble out of bounds call to a recovery for the Patriots even though the video evidence was far from conclusive either way.

Once the refs stopped extending Patriot possessions and giving them extra possessions
    , we were able to win the second half despite being depleted.

To be clear, I respect that they took advantage of their opportunities during the playoffs, but I think people in general regard the Patriots way too highly. They simply are not as good as some think they are.

Honestly, if Rivers takes the sack against Denver, I think the Chargers, with no road field disadvantage, would have won the Super Bowl as the Patriots were a completely different animal on the road, the Colts were a fairly easy out, and the Rams had nothing in the Super Bowl.

With a few minor quibbles, I think we did pretty well in the draft and I like our chances this year versus those of other teams (keeping in mind that no one team is a prohibitive favorite to win it all).
    not the first time I've read the such....
    5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• beachcomber
      & ramblin' man
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Panamamike View Post

So a bunch as of yet unprovem assets including wynn and his projected move to LT.
      unproven in college ??

when peoples are claiming that the Pats are falling off or are gonna be taking a back to seat to others this next season, am just sayin'.... not so fast,
      5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post

not the first time I've read the such....
        Yes, I see that you noticed the timely penalties in favor of the Patriots as well.

Comment

• Bolts223
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Apr 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by chargers1316 View Post

They reloaded and their divisional opponents stink and are in constant turmoil. They will be likely be the 1 seed again and will likely be 6-0 in the division...5-1 at worst.
          The Patriots have actually gone 6-0 in the AFC East only once in the Brady/Belichick era. (2007)
          Not to say that division is good or anything, because it's not. But usually the Jets/Dolphins will play them pretty tough, especially at home.

Comment

• Panamamike
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post

unproven in college ??

when peoples are claiming that the Pats are falling off or are gonna be taking a back to seat to others this next season, am just sayin'.... not so fast,
            Wynn has never played LT, and played OG at Georgia. To say that 2/3 of their drafted players will become large contributors is a stretch to say the least. NE has been much more successful at NFL FA reclamations than drafting. They have as many busts as every other team.

*****edit...he did play OT at UGA. My point as to Pats draft failures is still valid.

https://www.pro-football-reference.c.../nwe/draft.htm
            Last edited by Panamamike; 05-16-2019, 03:27 PM.

Comment

• like54ninjas
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Oct 2017
              • Great White North
              • Draftnik
              • Send PM

Wynn has never played LT, and played OG at Georgia. To say that 2/3 of their drafted players will become large contributors is a stretch to say the least. NE has been much more successful at NFL FA reclamations than drafting. They have as many busts as every other team.

https://www.pro-football-reference.c.../nwe/draft.htm
              Wynn was a LOT at UGA.

When you watch Wynn on tape, you almost get bored. He is so fundamentally sound that he rarely makes mistakes. He played Left Tackle at Georgia and handled SEC pass rushers with ease. I would not be surprised if the team that drafts him at least takes a look at him at Tackle, considering the lack of talent at the position in the league and in the draft. He does not have ideal size and won't wow you from a physical or athletic standpoint. He has good footwork to move down the line and into the 2nd level with ease. He stays controlled and balanced, with the ability to reset when pushed back on initial contact. He mirrors well, keeping his shoulders square to his target. He may lack power in run blocking, but uses good technique to wall off defenders and create holes. If he stays at Tackle, speed can give him some trouble, but at Guard, that should not be an issue. While I would not typically look at the position early in the draft, Wynn may be too good to pass up where the Patriots are picking. Grade: 1st/2nd Round

My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
              K9
              Nasir
              Tillery
              Parham
              Reed

Comment

• richpjr
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Nashville
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolts223 View Post

The Patriots have actually gone 6-0 in the AFC East only once in the Brady/Belichick era. (2007)
                Not to say that division is good or anything, because it's not. But usually the Jets/Dolphins will play them pretty tough, especially at home.
                Stable organizations win:

Comment

• Panamamike
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

Wynn was a LOT at UGA.

When you watch Wynn on tape, you almost get bored. He is so fundamentally sound that he rarely makes mistakes. He played Left Tackle at Georgia and handled SEC pass rushers with ease. I would not be surprised if the team that drafts him at least takes a look at him at Tackle, considering the lack of talent at the position in the league and in the draft. He does not have ideal size and won't wow you from a physical or athletic standpoint. He has good footwork to move down the line and into the 2nd level with ease. He stays controlled and balanced, with the ability to reset when pushed back on initial contact. He mirrors well, keeping his shoulders square to his target. He may lack power in run blocking, but uses good technique to wall off defenders and create holes. If he stays at Tackle, speed can give him some trouble, but at Guard, that should not be an issue. While I would not typically look at the position early in the draft, Wynn may be too good to pass up where the Patriots are picking. Grade: 1st/2nd Round
                  My bad. He did play tackle. I think he will get destroyed at tackle in the pros. SEC pass rushers in college are a whole different ballgame than Seasoned NFL vets. I actually think his future will be at OG or even OC. I can't think of any 6'2" LOT in the NFL in the last 30 years. We will see what happens as he is pencilled in for LT. I don't see that experiment lasting very long.

Comment

• like54ninjas
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Oct 2017
                    • Great White North
                    • Draftnik
                    • Send PM

My bad. He did play tackle. I think he will get destroyed at tackle in the pros. SEC pass rushers in college are a whole different ballgame than Seasoned NFL vets. I actually think his future will be at OG or even OC. I can't think of any 6'2" LOT in the NFL in the last 30 years. We will see what happens as he is pencilled in for LT. I don't see that experiment lasting very long.
                    Kelvin Beachum is about the only OLT that is comparable.
                    My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
                    K9
                    Nasir
                    Tillery
                    Parham
                    Reed

Comment

• Panamamike
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

Kelvin Beachum is about the only OLT that is comparable.
                      Nice get.

Comment

• chargers1316
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • May 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

True but it doesn't matter who is in their division because they keep winning when they get to the playoffs and going to SBs.
                        Of course, it matters. If they were in the AFC West, they wouldn't win the division and wouldn't have home field. How many road games have the Patriots had to play in the playoffs the past 20 years, Sir?

Comment

• Boltjolt
                          Dont let the PBs fool ya
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Henderson, NV
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by chargers1316 View Post

Of course, it matters. If they were in the AFC West, they wouldn't win the division and wouldn't have home field. How many road games have the Patriots had to play in the playoffs the past 20 years, Sir?
                          Fact is that aren't in the AFC West and considering they beat us and KC twice last season I'd say that is false. Surely they would beat the Raiders twice a year.
                          You don't want to give them credit, fine but you can't argue they keep winning in the playoffs and winning 6 super bowls is no accident.

The past 20 years they have played 10 road playoff games and were 5-5 including wins against us and KC on the road. They lost twice to Denver and Peyton Manning
                          Last edited by Boltjolt; 05-16-2019, 05:15 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X