• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stormbringer
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2019
    • Here
    • Send PM

As for *getting rid of* Benjamin, I know he just signed an extension, so I'm not really sure of the practicality of letting him go. I'm no capologist, so I haven't looked at the numbers. Would he fetch much as trade bait? Hard to say.

Comment

• Steve
      Administrator
      • Jun 2013
      • South Carolina
      • Meteorologist
      • Send PM

It's not a long term extension though. Benjamin's "extension" was more about getting some immediate cap relief, and getting his cap in line with his production.

Before everyone keeps talking about his production, watch the highlights of him in the Steelers and KC game. His production overall was way down because of his limited snaps, but he still had some production and playmaking when he played.

That being said, I am not sure he does necessarily make it to the final 53. There are good players on our roster that will be let go. If more than one of the younger WR steps up, then there is going to be some decision making. The big plus he has is the speed thing. Very few players in the NFL are as fast as he is, and with as often as we have been doing the jet sweep thing, it is nice to have that weapon in there to force teams to align looser than when he is not in. But the injuries, and inconsistencies are a big problem for him, and at this stage, it is a major issue.

The big thing with Benjamin has always been his inability to repeat his performance as a return guy, that got him the big FA contract. He was one of the best return guys in football his last year in Cleveland. He has never even been a decent return guy for us. He has developed his ability as a route runner (he is not great, but he was awful before), so his value at WR has increased, but the lack of value on ST has always been the albatross around his neck. He also has never really been able to repeat his success on the bubble screens either, a bit part of his production in Cleveland, but I can't recall him being even average at it for us (it is a horrible play for us, so that may not be saying much).

Benjamin is not worth any help on the OL. Cap dollar for cap dollar, he is only being paid what a backup OL is getting. Since OL depth is so precious, no one is going to part with any of it for a guy who they might be able to get for nothing if they are patient. It might happen at the end of camp, if team suddenly realize they have more depth, but it limits his ability to fit into an offense to not have much practice time with a QB. We might be able to get a pick, but only if a team is decimated by injuries.

Comment

• Maniaque 6
        French Speaking Charger Fan
        • Jan 2019
        • Québec city
        • Send PM

What I saw from Benjamin in Pittburgh last year reminds me C. Joiner in the early 80's.
        I was just 16 years old when Joiner played. I remember him like a WR with long play possibilities.
        I know Benjamin is not Joiner but he has that long play possibilities...

Comment

• chargeroo
          Fan since 1961
          • Jan 2019
          • Oregon
          • Retired Manager/Pastor
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Maniaque 6 View Post
          What I saw from Benjamin in Pittburgh last year reminds me C. Joiner in the early 80's.
          I was just 16 years old when Joiner played. I remember him like a WR with long play possibilities.
          I know Benjamin is not Joiner but he has that long play possibilities...
          Your 16 year old memory has it wrong. Charlie was a great route runner that was almost always open. First JJ, then Chandler were the deep threats. Talk about a team with some great WR's!!!
          THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Topcat
            AKA "Pollcat"
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            It's not a long term extension though. Benjamin's "extension" was more about getting some immediate cap relief, and getting his cap in line with his production.

Before everyone keeps talking about his production, watch the highlights of him in the Steelers and KC game. His production overall was way down because of his limited snaps, but he still had some production and playmaking when he played.

That being said, I am not sure he does necessarily make it to the final 53. There are good players on our roster that will be let go. If more than one of the younger WR steps up, then there is going to be some decision making. The big plus he has is the speed thing. Very few players in the NFL are as fast as he is, and with as often as we have been doing the jet sweep thing, it is nice to have that weapon in there to force teams to align looser than when he is not in. But the injuries, and inconsistencies are a big problem for him, and at this stage, it is a major issue.

The big thing with Benjamin has always been his inability to repeat his performance as a return guy, that got him the big FA contract. He was one of the best return guys in football his last year in Cleveland. He has never even been a decent return guy for us. He has developed his ability as a route runner (he is not great, but he was awful before), so his value at WR has increased, but the lack of value on ST has always been the albatross around his neck. He also has never really been able to repeat his success on the bubble screens either, a bit part of his production in Cleveland, but I can't recall him being even average at it for us (it is a horrible play for us, so that may not be saying much).

Benjamin is not worth any help on the OL. Cap dollar for cap dollar, he is only being paid what a backup OL is getting. Since OL depth is so precious, no one is going to part with any of it for a guy who they might be able to get for nothing if they are patient. It might happen at the end of camp, if team suddenly realize they have more depth, but it limits his ability to fit into an offense to not have much practice time with a QB. We might be able to get a pick, but only if a team is decimated by injuries.
            I don't like that Benji hasn't been impressive as a returner. I don't like that Benji has had a few costly fumbles. But, we're better off to keep him, because if either KA or Mike Will gets injured, now we're suddenly thin on EXPERIENCED wideouts.

Comment

• Bolts4ever213
              Day One...
              • Mar 2019
              • Brentwood, 94513
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

I don't like that Benji hasn't been impressive as a returner. I don't like that Benji has had a few costly fumbles. But, we're better off to keep him, because if either KA or Mike Will gets injured, now we're suddenly thin on EXPERIENCED wideouts.
              Regarding, if you're counting on Benjamin to fill in, what difference would it make if Scott was the one to fill in. A little more speed is the only thing that separates Benjamin and the youngsters.

Comment

• sonorajim
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolts4ever213 View Post

Regarding, if you're counting on Benjamin to fill in, what difference would it make if Scott was the one to fill in. A little more speed is the only thing that separates Benjamin and the youngsters.
                ..And a lot NFL experience, experience coming through in big game situations for Rivers.

Comment

• blueman
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

TB has value in this O, seems the coaching staff has finally figured out how to use him to greatest effect. Keep him.

Comment

• chargeroo
                    Fan since 1961
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Oregon
                    • Retired Manager/Pastor
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post
                    ..And a lot NFL experience, experience coming through in big game situations for Rivers.
                    Also, we haven't seen these youngsters play in the NFL yet (except Davis). It could be that none of them turn out to be good players for us. I think Benjamin could be used a lot better if the coaching staff used him as KC uses their speedy one. I'm remembering Marty saying "speed kills".
                    THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                      Smooth Operation
                      • May 2017
                      • Send PM

Geremy Davis, if I remember correctly, was very good on ST.

The issue will be redundancy, as Dylan Cantrell has a similar WR skill set.

Also, we have upgraded at ST candidates, with this draft class...they do not merely round out our defense.

ST & WR. How many will we keep ?
                      We do not play modern football.

Comment

• OhioBolt
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
                        TB has value in this O, seems the coaching staff has finally figured out how to use him to greatest effect. Keep him.
                        TB does have value in this offense and he is a lock to be on the roster this season and also a lock as the third reciever no other reciever on the roster outside of Allen & Williams has a regular season catch. Geremy Davis is the pre-seaon king, but ZERO receptions in the regular season. Dylan Cantrell and Artavis Scott haven't even dressed for a regular season game other than that you have a bunch of FA rookie recievers just fighting for a spot, and I am sure one will flash during preason like last year JJ Jone, but not ready for prime time. TB is a lock, if some how we would of resigned Tyrell Williams then yes TB is cut or on the bubble. Like it or not TB is here to stay in 2019 lets hope he can make some positive game changing plays instead of the head scratching plays that has everyone say WTF he do that for. No special teams for TB which is a plus unless we have an injury. So overall with TB prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

Comment

• SYB
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Mar 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Stormbringer View Post

Oh, I realize he's not like Benjamin. If (and that's a big if) he shows in camp, I think we'll see him outside primarily, in the big-bodied Tyrel Williams role when Keenan moves into the slot...which is quite often. But he was used in the slot some in college. I could see him used there around the goal line to take advantage of his size.
                          Tyrell's role was more being the speedster to open things up, not so much the "big bodied" type. While he is tall, he doesn't fight for the ball like you'd want from a guy his height. He was however, one of the fastest players on the team. Although their body types couldn't be more different, their roles should be very similar, with the exception of volume. I can't see TB getting close to TW's targets or rec's.

Comment

Working...
                          X