• Show
Clear All
  • like54ninjas
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Oct 2017
    • Great White North
    • Draftnik
    • Send PM

Three days into August, the Chargers and Rams have gotten a head start on the rest of the league in the joint practice department.

After hosting the Rams at Jack Hammett Sports Complex in Costa Mesa Thursday, the Chargers were on the campus of UC Irvine Saturday afternoon to complete the home-and-home with their L.A. neighbors. Head coach Anthony Lynn said the two teams who conduct training camp just seven miles apart made each other better over the last 72 hours.

"Any time you can practice against a team of this caliber in a controlled environment, I think it's good," Lynn said. "I think you're getting live game reps and you're saving players from injury as much as possible."

Lynn added that it's "priceless" to put players in situations where they're playing against top competition, while also staying somewhat protected. The Chargers will have had 10 full practices - two against the Rams - before next Thursday's preseason opener in Arizona.

Lynn said it's yet to be determined who will play against the Cardinals. After Saturday's practice, quarterback Philip Rivers explained that at this stage of his career, the reps he gets in a controlled joint practice are more valuable than limited snaps in an August exhibition.

"I got more work in these last two days than I've ever gotten probably in the last 10 preseason games combined," Rivers said. "I just didn't get touched today, which was nice. I've thrown 80 passes in two practices. That's like two games. So, it's been awesome."
    My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
    K9
    Nasir
    Tillery
    Parham
    Reed

Comment

• like54ninjas
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Oct 2017
      • Great White North
      • Draftnik
      • Send PM

MikeDub
      K9
      Nasir
      Tillery
      Parham
      Reed

Comment

• Topcat
        AKA "Pollcat"
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Here's the part I REALLY liked about that scrimmage with the Rams:

The Chargers' defense had back-to-back pass breakups in the 7-on-7 period. On the first, linebacker Thomas Davis stayed stride-for-stride with wide receiver Cooper Kupp, knocking the ball away. Cornerback Casey Hayward deflected a ball intended for wide receiver Brandin Cooks on the next play. ... Cornerback Michael Davis intercepted quarterback Jared Goff during 11-on-11s. ...

Yeah! That's what I'm talkin' about!!!

Comment

• Bolt-O
          Administrator
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Tyrod looks a hell of a lot better than Geno Smith.

Comment

• powderblueboy
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jul 2017
            • Send PM

I like the uptempo part describing the way the Rams practice.

I remember the low tempo joint practice between the Cardinals & Chargers during McCoy's last year. Ex Cardinal great Bertrand Berry was stunned & predicted bad consequences. Both teams stumbled badly that year.

These joint practices will really help getting out of the gate.

Comment

• Boltjolt
              Dont let the PBs fool ya
              • Jun 2013
              • Henderson, NV
              • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post
              This is still a possibility:

Scott / Feeney / Pouncey /Schofield / Tevi

Feeney getting more reps with the ones today. Everyone assumes Lamp will start.
              He will.....Somewhere. Whether it be at LG, RG. He is gonna start. I don't put any credence in who is getting how many first team
              reps in practice. Wouldn't be surprised to see Lamp get some snaps at OT in preseason games.

Comment

• Panamamike
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post
                This is still a possibility:

Scott / Feeney / Pouncey /Schofield / rt,

Feeney getting more reps with the ones today. Everyone assumes Lamp will start.
                I think that possibility is less and less. By all reports Lamp has been a standout all camp thus far. He will start, it is just a matter of where.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                  Day Tripper
                  • May 2019
                  • North of the Lagoon
                  • Send PM

I think they love Lamp bringing his power to the interior as they want to be a stronger more established run team. They might slide him out to OT if its a complete collapse but they want him at OG to maul apart the interior of defenses imo. They are hoping Scott and Tevi up their game in time for RS1 and they hope RO is back earlier than Week 6.

I agree with those who noted that Phil has the most trouble with interior pressure. And It was inside blitzes and stunts that ate him up vs NE, more than the edges. Of course that came mostly on right side with Scho and Tevi staring at each other in confused amazement as Pats ran by. Lamt at LG doesn't fix that very much.
                  “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• like54ninjas
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Oct 2017
                    • Great White North
                    • Draftnik
                    • Send PM

Keenan mic'ed up.......

MikeDub
                    K9
                    Nasir
                    Tillery
                    Parham
                    Reed

Comment

• richpjr
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Nashville
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post
                      I think they love Lamp bringing his power to the interior as they want to be a stronger more established run team. They might slide him out to OT if its a complete collapse but they want him at OG to maul apart the interior of defenses imo. They are hoping Scott and Tevi up their game in time for RS1 and they hope RO is back earlier than Week 6.

I agree with those who noted that Phil has the most trouble with interior pressure. And It was inside blitzes and stunts that ate him up vs NE, more than the edges. Of course that came mostly on right side with Scho and Tevi staring at each other in confused amazement as Pats ran by. Lamt at LG doesn't fix that very much.
                      Left guard was maybe the weakest area on the entire team last year. Now it could turn into a strength. I agree we likely won't move him outside unless Tevi and Scott are utterly failing.

Comment

• Formula 21
                        The Future is Now
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Republic of San Diego
                        • Send PM

Tevi and Scott are utterly failing.
                        Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                        The Wasted Decade is done.
                        Build Back Better.

Comment

• like54ninjas
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Oct 2017
                          • Great White North
                          • Draftnik
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
                          Tevi and Scott are utterly failing.
                          In the limited reps I've seen Scott seems upto the task. Tevi has improved his kickslide mechanics, hand strike placement, and arc close out but still has balance and inside counter powerstep issues.

It is early August. They are improving as individual players. The group dynamic is just now getting started. Look over the next 2 weeks for the Oline positions to get set and the group becomes 1 cohesive unit.

Kool-Aid is delicious in the summer.

MikeDub
                          K9
                          Nasir
                          Tillery
                          Parham
                          Reed

Comment

Working...
                          X