• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Xenos
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post
    They have really been out there in regards to Lamp. Nobody seems to be on the same page about him. I think they are desperately trying to preserve positivity about him. Because they know fans are starting to really wonder if that was a bad pick. Most fans dont understand the 3 year benchmark on a prospect. They just see whats happening now. And what happens from the start. We see that Feeney is already needing to be upgraded in most fans eyes. Most are not willing to let him develop. Its an instant gratification thing. Players take time to develop. And often thats even without any injury setbacks. Most fans think 2nd and 3rd round picks are locks to be studs.

So the team is floating "good things" in regards to Lamp. Recent articles. Lots of social media mentions. Building him up so the fans dont turn. The thing is with Lamp...that he missed so much time that he may only start to show real progress outside of his 3rd year benchmark.

Honestly the guy was just too talented in college not to at least be a back up with upside. He may have to take a reduced 2nd contract. And blossom later in his career due to the missed time. And we dont exactly develop offensive lineman all that well.

I was a fan of Alex Kappa last year. Small school prospect that had a good Senior Bowl. I think Pipkins is that type of prospect. And i think he has the potential to be a solid player for us. But i sometimes wonder if we can even develop a prospect like that. I like Telesco a lot. But if he cant put together an OL that is an issue.

I think we will be fine on the OL. But is it out of line to say that it is one area that Telesco has struggled? Draft picks and free agents?
    I don't know Fleet. If that's true, then that sounds like sheer incompetence and stupidity on both the FO and coaching staff. If it was the case, then they would have addressed it during FA or the draft. But they didn't, which implies to me that they feel really strong about Lamp's chances this year.
    Attached Files

Comment

• Fleet
      TPB Founder
      • Jun 2013
      • Cardiff - Poipu
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post
      I don't know Fleet. If that's true, then that sounds like sheer incompetence and stupidity on both the FO and coaching staff. If it was the case, then they would have addressed it during FA or the draft. But they didn't, which implies to me that they feel really strong about Lamp's chances this year.
      Im not saying they have soured on him. Im saying the fans are starting too. And so the team is really putting out a lot of puff pieces out on him. Keeping fans hopeful so to speak in regards to Lamp. The stuff the coaches are saying is somewhat confusing. Like did he actually lose a starting job to begin with? That comment just felt odd from Lynn. It felt like he was trying to make us all think at one point he was the actual starter. Just because he was drafted high doesn't mean he is automatically set to start. If thats the case i dont know why they constantly talk about highly drafted rookies having to come in and earn the job. Saying he was the starter sounds like made up hype. Sweet we get our starting stud guard back. But he never started. Never won anything.

I think the team is totally high on Lamp. I dont think fans are.

Comment

• Xenos
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post

Im not saying they have soured on him. Im saying the fans are starting too. And so the team is really putting out a lot of puff pieces out on him. Keeping fans hopeful so to speak in regards to Lamp. The stuff the coaches are saying is somewhat confusing. Like did he actually lose a starting job to begin with? That comment just felt odd from Lynn. It felt like he was trying to make us all think at one point he was the actual starter. Just because he was drafted high doesn't mean he is automatically set to start. If thats the case i dont know why they constantly talk about highly drafted rookies having to come in and earn the job. Saying he was the starter sounds like made up hype. Sweet we get our starting stud guard back. But he never started. Never won anything.

I think the team is totally high on Lamp. I dont think fans are.
        I mean technically he was the "starter" at RG before he blew out his ACL. Of course, to be fair, the only person he was competing against was Wiggins. Not a high bar at all.

Comment

• Fleet
          TPB Founder
          • Jun 2013
          • Cardiff - Poipu
          • Send PM

I mean technically he was the "starter" at RG before he blew out his ACL. Of course, to be fair, the only person he was competing against was Wiggins. Not a high bar at all.
          When he starts ill call him the starter. When he beats someone in camp ill call him the starter. lol Telesco himself said that outside the top 10 in most drafts guys that are drafted are not exactly expected to come in and start. They almost always all need development.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
            Smooth Operation
            • May 2017
            • Send PM

I mean this tweet said that they were trying him at both guard positions
            image.png

And this one was back in April during voluntary workout
            image.png
            "What the hell is going on out there ? "
            Vince Lombardi
            We do not play modern football.

Comment

• beachcomber
              & ramblin' man
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/20229616/los-angeles-chargers-guard-forrest-lamp-suffers-knee-injury-training-camp

A second-round pick from 2017, Lamp will be expected to compete for a starting role at right guard when he returns to action.
              http://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/football/news/chargers-forrest-lamp-starting-camp-on-pup-list/

Lamp had been rotating in with the starting offensive line, getting reps along with
              Kenny Wiggins
              at right guard. Third-round pick
              Dan Feeney
              now
              could see more time at right guard. Most of Feeney's reps have come at center.
              http://www.latimes.com/sports/chargers/la-sp-chargers-training-camp-20170802-story.html
              5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• beachcomber
                & ramblin' man
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

beach, do you think Lamp is capable of playing OLT ?
                recall reading reports on him out of Western Kentucky questioning as to if he was really (well) suited to play either guard or tackle in the NFL ??

personally suspect that he is more than capable of holding down a tackle spot, and not sure that Tevi might not be better served @guard ??

also prefer Feeney @RG.
                5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                  Smooth Operation
                  • May 2017
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post

recall reading reports on him out of Western Kentucky questioning as to if he was really (well) suited to play either guard or tackle in the NFL ??

personally suspect that he is more than capable of holding down a tackle spot, and not sure that Tevi might not be better served @guard ??

also prefer Feeney @RG.
                  Yes. I remember your comments about Feeney. He had problems at Center when LAC tried him there. There is Steve's toothbrush analogy. Might be some traction here.

Comment

• blueman
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Hoping Lamp does not return to his original position...the IR.

Comment

• Steve
                      Administrator
                      • Jun 2013
                      • South Carolina
                      • Meteorologist
                      • Send PM

OTA's is when players spend time learning the position. This is not the competition part of the offseason. Lamp ended the year as the 2nd string RG, so he is at the 2nd string RG spot to begin the season. Running with 1st team is nice, but at this point, Lamp is better off with the 2's, as it probably will get more attention on what he needs to do to get up to speed, and learning the nuances of playing OL in the NFL.

In any case, no matter what you think of Schofield, he earned the 1st RG spot last year and it's his until TC, when it is his job to lose. That is how the system works. Lamp has to beat the incumbent. Being a high draft pick, Lamp will get every chance to do that. JUst not now, because that is not what this part of the season is about. This is the learn what to do part of the season. Learn how to play time. Then, come TC, it is time to turn it loose, play fast and prove you can play in the NFL.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                        Smooth Operation
                        • May 2017
                        • Send PM

Excellent points, Steve.

Thanks for putting it into perspective so well.

Position flexibility is always on the front burner.

Comment

Working...
                        X