• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Grinners
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Most under rated Safety in the Draft they say

Follow JBP on IG: https://www.instagram.com/justbombsproductions/(↓↓ click show more ↓↓)Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/ScottTakadeFollow me on Ins...

Comment

• Topcat
      AKA "Pollcat"
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Grinners View Post
      Most under rated Safety in the Draft they say

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ks4G...ature=youtu.be
      Wow, I really like this Pickett kid. Love his sure tackling, closing speed, hits like Perryman, AND did you notice how well he mans up on receivers? Use the guy in zone OR man up on those pesky Pat wideouts...sure hope he makes the final 53 or he could get poached...

Comment

• ~sdc
        PURA VIDA
        • May 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Wow, I really like this Pickett kid. Love his sure tackling, closing speed, hits like Perryman, AND did you notice how well he mans up on receivers? Use the guy in zone OR man up on those pesky Pat wideouts...sure hope he makes the final 53 or he could get poached...
        Warm body. The Bears quit on him already. He's the Nic Shimonek of safeties.

Comment

• Topcat
          AKA "Pollcat"
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by ~sdc View Post

Warm body. The Bears quit on him already. He's the Nic Shimonek of safeties.
          Shim actually showed more in his very limited snaps than Smith & Jones ever did...

Comment

• Formula 21
            The Future is Now
            • Jun 2013
            • Republic of San Diego
            • Send PM

Last year the tackling wasn't too bad, but two years ago I spent too much time screaming at my TV "Somebody make a tackle." So I'm always interested in guys who can tackle.
            Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
            The Wasted Decade is done.
            Build Back Better.

Comment

• Panamamike
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
              Last year the tackling wasn't too bad, but two years ago I spent too much time screaming at my TV "Somebody make a tackle." So I'm always interested in guys who can tackle.
              He isn't actually considered a great tackler by any stretch. Those are nice hi-lights though.

Comment

• Steve
                Administrator
                • Jun 2013
                • South Carolina
                • Meteorologist
                • Send PM

Like most young players he is big on enthusiasm and effort when he tackles, but short on technique. He tackles high a lot, and doesn't always wrap up very well. He is not as bad a tackler as the PFF thing suggests. The tackling efficiency thing is not very well spelled out, and it handicaps players who are in on a lot of tackles. A few missed tackles are averaged in with the majority of tackles which were OK. IT is just very hard to overcome those bad tackles to get the grade up. He has to be flawless for long periods of time, and for a DB who is flying around, that is just not always realistic.

The big knock on him is UCLA uses him as an extra slot guy, and he really lacks the speed to do that kinda play like a CB type of player. It would help if he was more physical at the line, and could knock the WR off their routes, but he tends to just try and run with them, which again is not something that will probably work really well given he is a 4.6 timed guy. He does run somewhat faster than he times, but still, he is not a super fast or quick guy, so his game will have to develop to compensate.

I do think he could be a really good 5th S on a roster. We could use him as an extra SS/LB/Dime DB/nickle DB type of player. Much like Adrian Phillips.

Comment

• Formula 21
                  The Future is Now
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Republic of San Diego
                  • Send PM

He's a slower safety and TT seems to want a faster team. I don't expect him to make the team, but the PS is a possibility. But you can't discount guys with his apparent desire and toughness.
                  Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                  The Wasted Decade is done.
                  Build Back Better.

Comment

• Steve
                    Administrator
                    • Jun 2013
                    • South Carolina
                    • Meteorologist
                    • Send PM

In one of the highlights I was watching, he matched up man to man vs the fastest WR on USC. He may lack the speed of a true CB, but he is definitely faster than his timed 4.6 40.

The problem for him is that we are a pretty deep secondary, and deep roster in general. It isn't just about how well he plays, it will be about how several different players perform. Making a roster is about the best 53, and unless you are looking at it as a 53 person list, it is hard to tell if you are one of the best.

Comment

• blueman
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Yep, there's gonna be a lot of tough decisions when it comes to that final 53. Our PS will be stacked!!

Comment

• Fleet
                        TPB Founder
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Cardiff - Poipu
                        • Send PM

Comment

• Heatmiser
                          HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

I don't follow UCLA so I have not seen Pickett play. But it is interesting, and telling, that depending on who you read, you get a totally different take on him. One reviewer said he is the ultimate, in the box, run stuffing enforcer SS. Another said he is more of a cover safety. Another said he is just not real good at any one thing. Shows you how tough it is to be a scout/GM and also how so many 'experts' can watch the same guy and make totally different conclusions. Most did say he is very smart and reads well which covers up for his marginal timed speed, though.

After watching some of his highlights, I agree with Steve that his ceiling looks to be as a more physical Adrian Philipps. Which means he may not make this team.

Out of curiousity, how fast was Harrison? He fell to the 5th-6th round for some reason.

TG
                          Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

Working...
                          X