• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fleet
    TPB Founder
    • Jun 2013
    • Cardiff - Poipu
    • Send PM

Dzub is our Nate Ebner. He lead the league in 2017 with 21 total special teams tackles. Ebner did in 2016. Pats always keep Ebner and Slater on the roster and they have zero impact on the O and D. Clearly they hold them in high regard because of their ST's work Rate. Dzub and Phillips are very similar players for us.

Im not saying if we can replace Dzub with a guy that actually plays O or D and not lose his ST's prowess that we shouldnt cut Dzub. But that i wont be shocked if he is retained due to his ST's coverage work rate. He was top 10 in tackles again last year.

And you now what they say...ST's are 1/3 of the game. If Dzub is cut i think a team picks him up fast for Special Teams. You could of made the case for him being the special teams pro bowler in 2017. He is widely known across the league for being one of the best ST's guys around.

Dzub and Phillips are probably the best ST's duo in the league and Phillips actually plays a lot and has a huge impact. A lot of teams stash 2 nobodies that are awesome on STs. In fact im thinking maybe Tranquill will beast as well. Our coverage units could be very solid this year.

The only way we let Dzub go is if somebody like Tranquil impresses in special teams. It will need to be special teams play and not defense. So yes Dzub is outmatched at LB. But is the cream of the crop on STs and i dont think he gets cut if someone doesnt beat him out on special teams.

Comment

• blueman
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

To me that makes a lot of sense pre-2018. The debacle in NE makes me question that philosophy. Not sure what choice I would make, but I'm rethinking all the backups (like if Pipkins is so raw he would hurt us more than a journeyman this year if called on to play, then I'm keeping the no-name journeyman and to hell with where he was drafted).

Comment

• like54ninjas
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Oct 2017
        • Great White North
        • Draftnik
        • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
        To me that makes a lot of sense pre-2018. The debacle in NE makes me question that philosophy. Not sure what choice I would make, but I'm rethinking all the backups (like if Pipkins is so raw he would hurt us more than a journeyman this year if called on to play, then I'm keeping the no-name journeyman and to hell with where he was drafted).
        That's like saying, it is not wise to invest in retirement, home/property maintenance, or proper nutrition. Preparedness is a result of planning.
        Should we have cut Lamp, HH, MW, SupaMel, Slayer, etc because they weren't physically able to be on the field?
        Or take the Eagles with Mailata. Do you think he makes it to the PS last season, even though they had no intention he would be able to play effectively for 2 years?
        The organization/staff feel he has the tools to be successful with time/coaching and development.
        My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
        K9
        Nasir
        Tillery
        Parham
        Reed

Comment

• powderblueboy
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jul 2017
          • Send PM

It would be very weird if you draft a raw prospect in the 3rd round, then waive him immediately because you feel he is too raw, & too much a prospect.

They ain't keeping 8 linebackers. Egbule & Tranquil will replace Dzubner on special teams. Both will be key reserve guys this year or next. Dzubner not special enough on special teams.

Comment

• Formula 21
            The Future is Now
            • Jun 2013
            • Republic of San Diego
            • Send PM

I think Mailata makes it to the PS last year. I don't think he should have been drafted.

Our problem is we have two non-performers on the inactive squad. That only leaves 51 roster spots available. Dzub is in trouble because of numbers not because of performance. He is valued as a s teamer.
            Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
            The Wasted Decade is done.
            Build Back Better.

Comment

• Topcat
              AKA "Pollcat"
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post
              Dzub is our Nate Ebner. He lead the league in 2017 with 21 total special teams tackles. Ebner did in 2016. Pats always keep Ebner and Slater on the roster and they have zero impact on the O and D. Clearly they hold them in high regard because of their ST's work Rate. Dzub and Phillips are very similar players for us.

Im not saying if we can replace Dzub with a guy that actually plays O or D and not lose his ST's prowess that we shouldnt cut Dzub. But that i wont be shocked if he is retained due to his ST's coverage work rate. He was top 10 in tackles again last year.

And you now what they say...ST's are 1/3 of the game. If Dzub is cut i think a team picks him up fast for Special Teams. You could of made the case for him being the special teams pro bowler in 2017. He is widely known across the league for being one of the best ST's guys around.

Dzub and Phillips are probably the best ST's duo in the league and Phillips actually plays a lot and has a huge impact. A lot of teams stash 2 nobodies that are awesome on STs. In fact im thinking maybe Tranquill will beast as well. Our coverage units could be very solid this year.

The only way we let Dzub go is if somebody like Tranquil impresses in special teams. It will need to be special teams play and not defense. So yes Dzub is outmatched at LB. But is the cream of the crop on STs and i dont think he gets cut if someone doesnt beat him out on special teams.
              Well Fleet, u almost have me convinced to keep Dzoobie just for ST's. I remember a few years ago, when we cut our top gunner, Kassim Osgood, then our ST's played like crap the following year. Osgood was listed as a WR, but hardly ever got a touch. Great ST player, just not all that impressive as a wideout. This is gonna be tough...

Comment

• blueman
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

If TC shows a raw pick to be, well, even more raw than the coaches thought, putting him on the PS seems reasonable IMO. If he's that raw who would poach him? And if he did get poached, is it at that point that big of a loss? Wasted pick, sure, but why add to that with a wasted roster spot? Not arguing against Pipkins, just hope he improves drastically and earns the roster spot most here seem content to give him. Cuz are the UDFAs really that much worse? Folks are bringing up Dielman, and hell yeah Dielman! Is Pipkins a Dielman? Not seeing it yet, but agree it's super early. And for me he ain't on the 53 yet.

Comment

• Fleet
                  TPB Founder
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Cardiff - Poipu
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Well Fleet, u almost have me convinced to keep Dzoobie just for ST's. I remember a few years ago, when we cut our top gunner, Kassim Osgood, then our ST's played like crap the following year. Osgood was listed as a WR, but hardly ever got a touch. Great ST player, just not all that impressive as a wideout. This is gonna be tough...
                  Its not really me making the case for him. Its that i think the team will. And for those saying he isnt special on STs than why is he top 10 and even #1 in tackles every year? lol The guy has a nose for the ball carrier. On special teams. You dont have to believe me The stats are there. If he gets cut this year its because they think they can replace his ST production with someone else. Im guessing thats Tranquil. Maybe a guy like Teamer. I dont know. My post was more about the team being pro Dzub than myself. Am i confortable with him at LB? No. Do i think hes one of the best ST guys in the league? Based on his tackle numbers....yes.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jul 2017
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Kassim Osgood was a great special teams player.

Dzubnar couldn't carry his jock strap.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jul 2017
                      • Send PM

If TC shows a raw pick to be, well, even more raw than the coaches thought, putting him on the PS seems reasonable IMO. If he's that raw who would poach him? And if he did get poached, is it at that point that big of a loss? Wasted pick, sure, but why add to that with a wasted roster spot? Not arguing against Pipkins, just hope he improves drastically and earns the roster spot most here seem content to give him. Cuz are the UDFAs really that much worse? Folks are bringing up Dielman, and hell yeah Dielman! Is Pipkins a Dielman? Not seeing it yet, but agree it's super early. And for me he ain't on the 53 yet.

A team that might draft a LT high next year and could spare a roster spot because they aren't going anywhere this year. You can add someone from another teams practice squad any time, right?

Comment

• Fleet
                        TPB Founder
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Cardiff - Poipu
                        • Send PM

The entire LB core was wiped out. The fact is he should really never have to see the field. Like Slater and Ebner never have to see the field. Your philosophy will almost always differ from real coaches and teams. lol As is the case for most fans.

Maybe both Tranquill and Dzub make the roster and Watt gets cut. They wont sacrifice special teams coverage out of fear that they could end up going into the playoffs again with an entire position group out. That was more bad luck than anything. I think what we want is for Dzub to be replaced by a player who can actually contribute on O or D.

But if that player doesnt surface in the preseason i would be surprised if they risk our coverage teams best player. Just my opinion. Every team has a special teams ace they covet. Dzub is ours. Wether you and i like it or not.

Cheers

Comment

• Big Dog
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

There are a couple things going on here that culminate in Pipkins making the 53 ... he is a developmental project needing time to get stronger (a year or 2 in an NFL strength program) and reps to catch up to the division 1 guys ... TT thinks he can be the LT of the future in need of a couple years of development to get there ... 3rd round picks with potential can't be hidden on the PS, some other team who liked him in the 4th or 5th will poach him ... also TT won't admit he blew it on a 3rd rounder after only one training camp (ego alone says that) ... nobody wants another Walker to get away ...

Comment

Working...
                          X