• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fleet
    TPB Founder
    • Jun 2013
    • Cardiff - Poipu
    • Send PM

He looks good. He came into the league looking a little soft to be honest. Not that he didnt wreck dudes...but its good to see him so fit looking. Thats the key thing with Lynn imo. He really has these guys fit.

And we all know what V Lombardi used to say. Fatigue makes cowards of us all. Skip to the 1:45 mark

Comment

• Topcat
      AKA "Pollcat"
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post
      He looks good. He came into the league looking a little soft to be honest. Not that he didnt wreck dudes...but its good to see him so fit looking. Thats the key thing with Lynn imo. He really has these guys fit.

And we all know what V Lombardi used to say. Fatigue makes cowards of us all. Skip to the 1:45 mark

Great point. I remember before the Bolts played the Cheatriots, Belicheat had the Pats running wind sprints, cross country, all in snowy, icy conditions. Meanwhile, the Bolts are practicing in nice weather in L.A., fly in a day or two before the game or so, and get their butts whipped. I have to think that conditioning was at least a part of the reason for the Bolts losing...and not that the Chargers were in bad condition--just that the Pats were in even better condition, and in cold, icy weather conditions...

Comment

• Fleet
        TPB Founder
        • Jun 2013
        • Cardiff - Poipu
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Great point. I remember before the Bolts played the Cheatriots, Belicheat had the Pats running wind sprints, cross country, all in snowy, icy conditions. Meanwhile, the Bolts are practicing in nice weather in L.A., fly in a day or two before the game or so, and get their butts whipped. I have to think that conditioning was at least a part of the reason for the Bolts losing...and not that the Chargers were in bad condition--just that the Pats were in even better condition, and in cold, icy weather conditions...
        I remember under McCoy we constantly had days off. Breaks. Lynn in a way resembles Marty. And i attended every practice/camp under Marty. In fact i became friends with Jay Paris and we just sat and talked Bolts all day. Laughing at how vocal and punishing Marty was. Thats the way i was brought up. I was jacked up until the age of 43 or so. lol

When guys like LT and Seau are puking you know your coach is getting them fit.

Comment

• Steve
          Administrator
          • Jun 2013
          • South Carolina
          • Meteorologist
          • Send PM

Lombardi made that famous, but it is actually a General Patton quote (from "War As I Knew It", 1947).

I really want to see how jenkins is playing this season. I actually pulled all his video from NFL Gamepass and watched every snap he played as a rookie, and he was solid. Not great, but definitely looked like he could have challenged Addae for the SS job. So he bulked up to be our SS or nickel LB, and we draft James and Phillips kept getting better. He did play some a FS and was solid, but he was not running like we need a FS to be able to cover ground and break on the ball.

Now he is back down to a lighter weight, and he is going to compete at FS. Now, Adderley is there, and Watkins is a decent FS type, so it will be interesting to see how he fits. I still think he can probably challenge Phillips for playing time at nickel LB.
          Last edited by Steve; 07-14-2019, 11:13 PM.

Comment

• Fleet
            TPB Founder
            • Jun 2013
            • Cardiff - Poipu
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

Lombardi made that famous, but it is actually a General Patton quote (from "War As I Knew It", 1947).

I really want to see how he is playing this season. I actually pulled all his video from NFL Gamepass and watched every snap he played as a rookie, and he was solid. Not great, but definitely looked like he could have challenged Addae for the SS job. So he bulked up to be our SS or nickel LB, and we draft James and Phillips kept getting better. He did play some a FS and was solid, but he was not running like we need a FS to be able to cover ground and break on the ball.

Now he is back down to a lighter weight, and he is going to compete at FS. Now, Adderley is there, and Watkins is a decent FS type, so it will be interesting to see how he fits. I still think he can probably challenge Phillips for playing time at nickel LB.
            I think hes probably our starter if Adderly is late in camp or even if he needs time to grasp things. He was running with the 1s in OTAs. Thats a big FS.

And yeah im a Patton guy. Those Desert Fox battles between the 2 were some good Military Tactics. My Great Grandpa was a Military Adviser to FDR. When he wasnt making B24s.

Comment

• Steve
              Administrator
              • Jun 2013
              • South Carolina
              • Meteorologist
              • Send PM

Jenkins played FS OK last year. He looked big and stiff, but not too bad. Then I heard he was playing at like 220 lbs, it was pretty obvious why he wasn't able to move as well as I saw him in college. He was just too big. Even at 220 lb, he moved OK. I think he will be a lot better at a lighter weight.

I really don't care where we put him (Jenkins), he is just too good an athlete to not get on the field more. FS, SS or dime S, we just need him on the field. A big guy like him who can run as he does just needs to get some playing time to see what we have in the guy.

6 players (total)
              SS - James/Jenkins
              FS - Jenkins/Adderley/Watkins/Pickett
              S - Phillips/Jenkins/Pickett/Watkins

5 players + Watkins
              LCB - Hayward/(Facyson or Richards)
              NCB- King/Watkins
              RCB - Trevor Williams/Michael Davis

We could have a really secondary this year.

Comment

• Fleet
                TPB Founder
                • Jun 2013
                • Cardiff - Poipu
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                Jenkins played FS OK last year. He looked big and stiff, but not too bad. Then I heard he was playing at like 220 lbs, it was pretty obvious why he wasn't able to move as well as I saw him in college. He was just too big. Even at 220 lb, he moved OK. I think he will be a lot better at a lighter weight.

I really don't care where we put him (Jenkins), he is just too good an athlete to not get on the field more. FS, SS or dime S, we just need him on the field. A big guy like him who can run as he does just needs to get some playing time to see what we have in the guy.

6 players (total)
                SS - James/Jenkins
                FS - Jenkins/Adderley/Watkins/Pickett
                S - Phillips/Jenkins/Pickett/Watkins

5 players + Watkins
                LCB - Hayward/(Facyson or Richards)
                NCB- King/Watkins
                RCB - Trevor Williams/Michael Davis

We could have a really secondary this year.
                Yeah id like to start possibly discussing this more. The base starter projections and all the sub packages. I keep seeing Thomas at SAM and stuff like that and i tend to not think that. I think had he not been suspeded last year he puts in a full compliment at Weak. Im not sure what Carolina was doing scheme wise other than knowing they are not running a traditional 34. Rivera is a 43 guy but how different are Bradley and Rivera? With Shaq Thompson used at SAM is White slated for a similar role?

Im sort of expecting Davis to be a full time weak for us. And for White to go in at MLB on 3rd down passing situations.

We need to create a thread and start breaking down the starters and subs. Thats really where you come in. Id love for you to go over this stuff with the forum. Lets start breaking down the packages on D. I think Offense is easy to predict.

Comment

• Topcat
                  AKA "Pollcat"
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

Yeah id like to start possibly discussing this more. The base starter projections and all the sub packages. I keep seeing Thomas at SAM and stuff like that and i tend to not think that. I think had he not been suspeded last year he puts in a full compliment at Weak. Im not sure what Carolina was doing scheme wise other than knowing they are not running a traditional 34. Rivera is a 43 guy but how different are Bradley and Rivera? With Shaq Thompson used at SAM is White slated for a similar role?

Im sort of expecting Davis to be a full time weak for us. And for White to go in at MLB on 3rd down passing situations.

We need to create a thread and start breaking down the starters and subs. Thats really where you come in. Id love for you to go over this stuff with the forum. Lets start breaking down the packages on D. I think Offense is easy to predict.
                  Yep, Steve would be great at projecting who would be best to play nickel, dime, etc...NEW THREAD, PLEASE!

Comment

• Fleet
                    TPB Founder
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Cardiff - Poipu
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Yep, Steve would be great at projecting who would be best to play nickel, dime, etc...NEW THREAD, PLEASE!
                    Bradley always talks about his situational packages. Which is the most difficult to diagnose imo. Because it requires a lot of film break down. And its something i used to do a lot of. But my kids are now at that age where im investing a ton of time in them and im also spending a lot of time getting on top of health stuff. Like not sitting down on my computer all day. lol

Comment

• chargeroo
                      Fan since 1961
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Oregon
                      • Retired Manager/Pastor
                      • Send PM

If Tillery and Jackson can provide some pass rush up the middle this defense could be the best in the NFL. I think those two young players are the key to how good this defense will be.
                      THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Fleet
                        TPB Founder
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Cardiff - Poipu
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post
                        If Tillery and Jackson can provide some pass rush up the middle this defense could be the best in the NFL. I think those two young players are the key to how good this defense will be.
                        Jones?

Comment

• JPPT1974
                          May Day 2024!
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

Defense does come into play. And wins you the game. And just really can't wait for the 2019 season to begin.

Comment

Working...
                          X