• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • powderblueboy
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jul 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by pacstud View Post

I'm guessing Lynn watched the film and we just watched the game.
    Lynn isn't exactly an objective commentator. What he really thinks we don't know. They probably did all right.

Comment

• pacstud
      Black Belt Poster
      • Sep 2018
      • Send PM

Originally posted by SDBORN View Post

Tillery was ranked one of the worst at his position this week. A 37.3 rating according to PFF.
      PFF for linemen is arguably one of the dumbest things in analytics. Evaluating linemen based on the result of a play? Ridiculous.

Comment

• SDBORN
        Registered Charger Fan
        • May 2017
        • Send PM

PFF for linemen is arguably one of the dumbest things in analytics. Evaluating linemen based on the result of a play? Ridiculous.
        PFF certainly isn't perfect, and they admit that themselves. Having said that, that's a definite oversimplification of their process. There are videos that break down their analytics for offensive and defensive linemen based on multiple facets of the game, not simply the result of the play.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
          Smooth Operation
          • May 2017
          • Send PM

Agreed.
          Arm length should be the deciding factor.

:coffee:
          We do not play modern football.

Comment

• DallasEire
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Oct 2019
            • Send PM

True.

The play where Tillery was pushed down the line all the way to Knoxville was probably all that we needed to see to understand that he wasn't ready to be next man up but applying some random metric of measurement does nothing but further the belief that numbers to construct always = insight.

Comment

• Kellyb72601
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Sep 2019
              • Send PM

Found this on reddit.. Makes sense with Bradley's scheme if accurate.

Completion rates against us this season.

Brissett (77%), stafford (73%) josh Rosen (70%), joe Flacco (70%). Hodges 75%, Watson 73%, and tannehill 79%

Our defense seems like it just cannot break up a pass to save its life. It's on the field all day - long drives against us. In some quarters our offense is only getting 1 possession.
              The Seattle defense is dead. Every team that runs it has taken major steps back this year with the exception of San Francisco. Jacksonville and Seattle have turned into defensive liabilities and Atlanta is probably the worst defense in the league. So many teams run it the leaguewide playbook for "Seattle beaters" is deep in every teams playbook.

Comment

• pacstud
                Black Belt Poster
                • Sep 2018
                • Send PM

PFF certainly isn't perfect, and they admit that themselves. Having said that, that's a definite oversimplification of their process. There are videos that break down their analytics for offensive and defensive linemen based on multiple facets of the game, not simply the result of the play.
                Yes, but it is literally impossible to objectively analyze a lineman without knowing his assignment, which they don't.

A coach can do it, yes.... outsiders with little to know solid idea of what the assignment was...doubtful.

Comment

• richpjr
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Nashville
                  • Send PM

Yes, but it is literally impossible to objectively analyze a lineman without knowing his assignment, which they don't.

A coach can do it, yes.... outsiders with little to know solid idea of what the assignment was...doubtful.
                  Yep. It extends to more than just linemen though. If a QB throws a pass where a WR is supposed to be and the WR runs the wrong route, the QB gets dinged even when it's not his fault. Without the benefit of what the play call was, sometimes the grades are just guesses and can be completely wrong.

Comment

• pacstud
                    Black Belt Poster
                    • Sep 2018
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

Yep. It extends to more than just linemen though. If a QB throws a pass where a WR is supposed to be and the WR runs the wrong route, the QB gets dinged even when it's not his fault. Without the benefit of what the play call was, sometimes the grades are just guesses and can be completely wrong.
                    That's all I'm saying. And you're right, it's all position groups.

So the "analytics" are really just some weird quantitative masturbation. Guys see a defender make one play and it's "he had a good day" or they see a bad play and think "he was terrible". It's stupid. You really have to be willing to just spot shadow a player every play and even then it's guesswork.

I suppose if a D-lineman is getting planted in the LBs laps over and over, yeah, that's obvious. Otherwise it's tough to tell imo.

Comment

• Fleet
                      TPB Founder
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Cardiff - Poipu
                      • Send PM

When i look at Bradley and Whiz i see passive traits. I dont see heat....piss and vinegar. Traits i like to see in coaches. Marty type guys. And i believe players take on the identity of their coaches. Lynn comes off as a hard nose to me. But this year he seems a little more reserved. A little more passive. And im wondering if he has taken a step back and let his coaches take over the kitchen more. We have 3 chefs. 3 NFL coaches. Im not sure Lynn even feels like he is the head guy. And i think kids respond to leaders. Guys with a sack and leadership skills. The head honcho. The #1. We have 3?

Im not totally on board with the Lynn is a problem thing. Im just wondering if the coaching structure is creating cracks for this team to fall through. It makes more sense to abandon the continuity thing. And have a coach that really instills his philosophy on both sides of the ball.

Lynn said he wouldnt take the foot off the gas pedal when he became our coach. But we see a passive team that is not attacking....not accountable...and simply just a bunch of soft pussies right now. We have regressed. And i wonder if its because Lynn has. Not from a coaching aspect...but from a leadership aspect. I think these players could respond to a shake up. Bradley being let go sort of thing.

I used to respect his D. But we should be applying more pressure. Guys should be tackling. There is no accountability for the really loose and uncontrolled basics of football on that side of the ball. The contain. The pursuit. The gap assignments. The tackling. The basics are really bad. And i wonder if Bradley even gives a fuck about that. And if he does....hes probably getting in faces with a smile and some really passive behavior. But we are bad with the basics to the point where whatever you scheme on D it probably wont work.

Rather than run a bunch of plays with mediocrity...maybe we should focus on doing less with a lot more consistency.

And my God the injuries have to be more than bad luck right now. There has to be some flaw in technique or training. We have got to get fresh eyes on this. And honestly Mr Spanos just get your kids out of the player personel equation. Wether they have talent in that regard or not...they have to be perfect. And if there is any doubt whatsoever you will have that noose wrapped around your nexk for team failure. Get guys in here to draft the right players. Get guys in here to evaluate OL and stop wasting 3rds on projects.

And figure out why we struggle to develop players in certain positions. Coaches may have a good rep for us...but if its not working make a change. I like Telesco. He has brought in a lot of good players for us. But if you cant build trenches? Or develop trenches? You will lose when it matters the most. Ans thats in the post season. If we are lucky enough to make it that far by overcoming these weaknesses.

Comment

• 21&500
                        Bolt Spit-Baller
                        • Sep 2018
                        • A Whale's Vajayjay
                        • CMB refugee
                        • Send PM

Great point fleet
                        (3 chefs)
                        we need 1 SOB in charge
                        Im not a Lynn fan, but he should really try to buck the system somehow, even a scapegoating out of desperation might help
                        Im really hoping for someone internally has been vocal about what needs to change and given a chance to run the offense or defense
                        I think that might be a more realistic expectation than a complete restaffing
                        P1. Block Destruction - Ogbonnia
                        P2. Shocking Effort - Eboigbe
                        P3. Ball Disruption - Ford
                        P4. Obnoxious Communication - Matlock

Comment

• SDBORN
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • May 2017
                          • Send PM

That aspect has been discussed in detail by PFF as well. Again by no means a perfect system but does add some value if you actually look at the details. It is not simply based on the "result of the play" as many think it is.

I find that their biggest weakness is when sample size is really low (i.e. not enough snaps).

Comment

Working...
                          X