Underrated Players - Desmond King (and Tyrell Williams)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wu-dai clan
    Smooth Operation
    • May 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

I expect Mike Williams to put up better numbers this year than Tyrell did last year.
    I think you are right, richpjr.

@darealmike_dub should break out,
    especially as a red zone threat.
    We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Bolt-O
      Administrator
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Depth chart comparisons with Tyrell and Mike are not relevant, as Mike was hurt his first year and was already behind, and last season, Mike was more impactful than Tyrell, in my opinion, even though he might have not have been as targeted., but Tyrell earned the designation as the #2, if that means anything.

Comment

• Xenos
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Sgt. Pepper View Post
        Tyrell Williams was ahead of Mike Williams on the depth chart for the entirety of the two seasons they played together. Tyrell was Mike's best friend because it meant Mike drew 3rd string coverage when he was on the field with Keenan and Tyrell. That won't be the same with Benjamin. Mike Will get #2 coverage and Benjamin #3.
        I didn't realize that Marcus Peters was 3rd string coverage. Makes the two times MW burned him look not as good.

Comment

• Xenos
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

I expect Mike Williams to put up better numbers this year than Tyrell did last year.
          MW did put up better numbers than Tyrell did last year. More yards, more receptions, and most importantly more TDs! I expect even more this year than just being better than Tyrell.

Comment

• Steve
            Administrator
            • Jun 2013
            • South Carolina
            • Meteorologist
            • Send PM

What depth chart is being talked about? Mike and Tyrell Williams both played in the 3 WR set, which is about 75% of our snaps. They are both starters, along with Keenan Allen.

The "official" depth chart reflects a 2 RB or 2 TE offense that only a handlful of teams still really use with much regularity. Almost every team in the NFL plays a 3 WR offense with other sets used sparingly. The usual "starters" are listed is some throwback thing that NFL teams ditched using much reguarly almost 20 years ago.

As far as drawing coverage, any NFL defense that is not set up to defend a 3 WR package is not prepared to play on Sunday. If NFL teams don't have 3 starting caliber CB, then they are playing a game that was left behind 30 years ago.
            Last edited by Steve; 06-29-2019, 07:51 PM.

Comment

• Formula 21
              The Future is Now
              • Jun 2013
              • Republic of San Diego
              • Send PM

I also expect Henry to catch 50 balls this year. Most of them will probably come from the WRs numbers. So Williams numbers may not rise.
              Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
              The Wasted Decade is done.
              Build Back Better.

Comment

• sonorajim
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

In 2018 Ty Will had 41 catches, 5 TDs. The LAC offense accumulated 348 catches, 32 passing TDs. He was a nice contributor.
                This year I expect the offense to continue to throw successfully. Henry will obviously get more catches. The rest will be spread around.
                Keenan, Mike W, Hunter,Travis, Gordon, Ekeler will get a majority but there will be others. We'll manage.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                  Dont let the PBs fool ya
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Henderson, NV
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post
                  Depth chart comparisons with Tyrell and Mike are not relevant, as Mike was hurt his first year and was already behind, and last season, Mike was more impactful than Tyrell, in my opinion, even though he might have not have been as targeted., but Tyrell earned the designation as the #2, if that means anything.
                  Agree, Tyrell had more snaps but Mike had more receptions and more TDs than Tyrell. Mike was getting used more in the passing game than Tyrell down the stretch.....depth chart status or not.

As for the coverage (not directed at Bolt O) we move our WRs around and doubt the 3rd CB went over to the 3rd WR on every play. If Keenan is in the slot, most likely he got the slot CB.....but hey, i didnt pay that close enough attention to it.
                  Last edited by Boltjolt; 06-30-2019, 03:06 PM.

Comment

• Formula 21
                    The Future is Now
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Republic of San Diego
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post
                    In 2018 Ty Will had 41 catches, 5 TDs. The LAC offense accumulated 348 catches, 32 passing TDs. He was a nice contributor.
                    This year I expect the offense to continue to throw successfully. Henry will obviously get more catches. The rest will be spread around.
                    Keenan, Mike W, Hunter,Travis, Gordon, Ekeler will get a majority but there will be others. We'll manage.
                    Yep, a lot of mouths to feed so lets hope nobody gets greedy and starts to complain.
                    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                    The Wasted Decade is done.
                    Build Back Better.

Comment

• sonorajim
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

Yep, a lot of mouths to feed so lets hope nobody gets greedy and starts to complain.
                      Hopefully we don't have guys who put personal records over LAC wins.
                      Going on a losing streak could set off some tempers.
                      I'm not seeing it.

Comment

• Big Dog
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

When he was a Charger, TWill performed well for an UDFA and although he had his weaknesses like getting off the line, highpointing the ball and not fighting hard enough to prevent INT's I liked him and thought he was productive and above all else he was AVAILABLE, the best ability of all.

At the beginning of last year he was better than MW but by the @KC game MW passed him in my opinion.

I wish we could have kept him, I liked TWill and he was better than a lot of you are saying he was, but ultimately:

MW at $5.4M is better $ value than TWill at $11M
                        Last edited by Big Dog; 07-01-2019, 04:25 PM.

Comment

• alex8080
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Mar 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                          What depth chart is being talked about? Mike and Tyrell Williams both played in the 3 WR set, which is about 75% of our snaps. They are both starters, along with Keenan Allen.

The "official" depth chart reflects a 2 RB or 2 TE offense that only a handlful of teams still really use with much regularity. Almost every team in the NFL plays a 3 WR offense with other sets used sparingly. The usual "starters" are listed is some throwback thing that NFL teams ditched using much reguarly almost 20 years ago.

As far as drawing coverage, any NFL defense that is not set up to defend a 3 WR package is not prepared to play on Sunday. If NFL teams don't have 3 starting caliber CB, then they are playing a game that was left behind 30 years ago.
                          That being said, shouldn't lac be a little concerned with their cb's? Trevor or Mike. How about making a deal for Haden if Pitt can't sign him?

Comment

Working...
                          X