Underrated Players - Desmond King (and Tyrell Williams)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Topcat
    AKA "Pollcat"
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
    IMV, Tyrell was temporarily focused during the early part of the 2018 season, wherein he essentially "got his contract."

Otherwise he relies on his elite athleticism.

My prediction is he will now have a return to mental gaffs and lack of focus as a Raider.
    In other words, Wood, Twill got tired of Rivers jawing at him for running the wrong route, which led to picks, so Twill for a while was more focused and careful. The only difference is, now Twill will have Derek Carr jawing at him...

Comment

• wu-dai clan
      Smooth Operation
      • May 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

In other words, Wood, Twill got tired of Rivers jawing at him for running the wrong route, which led to picks, so Twill for a while was more focused and careful. The only difference is, now Twill will have Derek Carr jawing at him...
      Yes. Yes. Carr. Chucky. The Raiders. T Will himself.

Hence my prediction.
      We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Topcat
        AKA "Pollcat"
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

Yes. Yes. Carr. Chucky. The Raiders. T Will himself.

Hence my prediction.
        Oh, my, I forgot about Chuckie. Yes, imagine CHUCKIE jawing at Twill on the sideline for running a wrong route leading to a pick...Twill will wish he was back with the Bolts...

P.S.--And remember, now Twill has to learn a BRAND NEW PLAYBOOK, CHUCKIE'S PLAYBOOK...with all the complex terms in Gruden's West Coast system, the shifts, the motion, the audibles...gonna be a steep learning curve here, with Chuckie, the tough taskmaster...ouch...
        Last edited by Topcat; 06-26-2019, 08:08 AM.

Comment

• Steve
          Administrator
          • Jun 2013
          • South Carolina
          • Meteorologist
          • Send PM

Sometimes bad throws happen because of the route and sometimes it is because of the throw.

TWilliams played well for us last year. However, you have to remember that is no guarantee that he will perform up to the same standard. The Raiders OL has issues, AB will probably do a lot of his whiney bitch act, which will get old in a hurry, and then there is Williams himself. WR tend to be the most inconsistent position in FA. Part of it is the diva thing, and part of it is the offense itself. Then you have to add the big FA signing thing, that has most players not playing up to their potential after they sign a FA deal.

Comment

• Topcat
            AKA "Pollcat"
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            Sometimes bad throws happen because of the route and sometimes it is because of the throw.

TWilliams played well for us last year. However, you have to remember that is no guarantee that he will perform up to the same standard. The Raiders OL has issues, AB will probably do a lot of his whiney bitch act, which will get old in a hurry, and then there is Williams himself. WR tend to be the most inconsistent position in FA. Part of it is the diva thing, and part of it is the offense itself. Then you have to add the big FA signing thing, that has most players not playing up to their potential after they sign a FA deal.
            Yep...only a matter of time before AB starts in on the "don't touch me...I'm the franchise!!!"

OR...

"Come on, man! Come on, Carr, I only got 5 touches, and Twill got 7!!! I'm the franchise, man!!!"

Comment

• Xenos
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post

I didn't mean to say they should have kept TWill in spite of salary cost. I never advocated paying him as a #1. I didn't know how much money they are paying Benjamin and I assumed it was plenty because they signed him as a free agent. So, I thought let Benjamin go and pay that amount to TW. I don't expect any of the young WR's to put up the kind of numbers TWill did. The saving factor is getting HH back.

As for all of you saying Rivers can turn any of them into a good WR. I'll point out neither Inman or Tutu ever but up the numbers Twill did. The thing is - the WR needs to be able to get open, then Rivers will put it on him, but the question is -who can do it? Can any of them take the top of the defense off with their speed.?
              Hey Roo! I actually just noticed this comment when browsing through this thread. But we paid Benji a lot back in 2016. He no longer carries that high of a salary cap now that it's been 3 years. In fact, his recent one year extension actually helped reduce his salary even more. We are paying him low #3 WR money, which is what he is at this point. If he can give us a few more games like the 2nd KC game, then I'm fine with that. Funny enough, he contributed more in that game than TWill IMO.

Comment

• chargeroo
                Fan since 1961
                • Jan 2019
                • Oregon
                • Retired Manager/Pastor
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post
                Hey Roo! I actually just noticed this comment when browsing through this thread. But we paid Benji a lot back in 2016. He no longer carries that high of a salary cap now that it's been 3 years. In fact, his recent one year extension actually helped reduce his salary even more. We are paying him low #3 WR money, which is what he is at this point. If he can give us a few more games like the 2nd KC game, then I'm fine with that. Funny enough, he contributed more in that game than TWill IMO.
                Thanks for the reminder on Benjamin's salary.
                I sure agree with you regarding that 2nd KC game. He also made a big catch in the comeback in Pitt. I've said before, we could utilize his speed better than we do. Just don't use him for punt returns!
                THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Steve
                  Administrator
                  • Jun 2013
                  • South Carolina
                  • Meteorologist
                  • Send PM

Part of the reason Benjamin hasn't been doing much last season is he just wasn't playing very much. There was no way they were going to play Benjamin in place of T Williams. Benjamin got a lot of the snaps (but not all) when we did Jet sweeps, and a few token speed routes. But it was a no brainer in who was better, TWilliams or Benjamin.

That doesn't mean that Benjamin is a horrible player, as the KC and Pitt games demonstrate. He just was the 4th WR in a 3 WR offense.

TWilliams leaving is less about who is the best player, but it is about the salary. Benjamin is a pretty good option as a 3rd WR. He can play inside and outside. He has deep speed. He can even be a backup as a return guy, although he has shown that his pro bowl season was an anomaly.

Comment

• FoutsFan
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Birmingham AL
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                    Part of the reason Benjamin hasn't been doing much last season is he just wasn't playing very much. There was no way they were going to play Benjamin in place of T Williams. Benjamin got a lot of the snaps (but not all) when we did Jet sweeps, and a few token speed routes. But it was a no brainer in who was better, TWilliams or Benjamin.

That doesn't mean that Benjamin is a horrible player, as the KC and Pitt games demonstrate. He just was the 4th WR in a 3 WR offense.

TWilliams leaving is less about who is the best player, but it is about the salary. Benjamin is a pretty good option as a 3rd WR. He can play inside and outside. He has deep speed. He can even be a backup as a return guy, although he has shown that his pro bowl season was an anomaly.
                    He was also limited with a foot injury that healed and reoccurred all last year.

Comment

• jamrock
                      lawyers, guns and money
                      • Sep 2017
                      • Send PM

Benjamin is very fragile. TW never missed a game. Big diff

Comment

• Sgt. Pepper
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Apr 2019
                        • Send PM

Tyrell Williams was ahead of Mike Williams on the depth chart for the entirety of the two seasons they played together. Tyrell was Mike's best friend because it meant Mike drew 3rd string coverage when he was on the field with Keenan and Tyrell. That won't be the same with Benjamin. Mike Will get #2 coverage and Benjamin #3.

Comment

• richpjr
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Nashville
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Sgt. Pepper View Post
                          Tyrell Williams was ahead of Mike Williams on the depth chart for the entirety of the two seasons they played together. Tyrell was Mike's best friend because it meant Mike drew 3rd string coverage when he was on the field with Keenan and Tyrell. That won't be the same with Benjamin. Mike Will get #2 coverage and Benjamin #3.
                          I expect Mike Williams to put up better numbers this year than Tyrell did last year.

Comment

Working...
                          X