• Send PM

Marshall is the Tutu of cornerbacks.

Comment

• Formula 21
      The Future is Now
      • Jun 2013
      • Republic of San Diego
      • Send PM

I prefer the guy that gives us 9 dingledobies per minute as opposed to the guy that gives us 7.27 dingledobies per minute.
      Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
      The Wasted Decade is done.
      Build Back Better.

Comment

• Panama
        パナマ
        • Aug 2013
        • London
        • Opera singer and web developer.
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Thunder Thighs View Post
        There are a lot of guys on the team who were college teammates:

Eddie Royal and Brandon Flowers, Virginia Tech

Keenan Allen and Steve Williams, Cal

Tutu and Mathews, Fresno St

Marcus Gilchrist, Crezdon Butler, and Kavell Conner, Clemson

Chris Watt and Manti Teo, Notre Dame

Donald Brown and Kendall Reyes, UConn

Marion Grice and Alden Darby, ASU
        Clearly, Butler has to be cut, as we can't have 3 players that were college teammates. That would get too clicque-ish! But what happens when we cut Darby? Will we have to cut Grice, too, to ease the pain?
        Adipose

Comment

• Panama
          パナマ
          • Aug 2013
          • London
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Stinky Wizzleteats+ View Post
          Are you describing a MILF?
          Was Weddle taking a money shot?
          Adipose

Comment

• Panama
            パナマ
            • Aug 2013
            • London
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Grinners View Post
            I wonder why CB Rose was picked up, can he play Safety in a year or so? Good height, good speed, but can he play the position?
            He will not be a CB on this team, of that I have no doubt!
            He will not be anything on this team. He is camp fodder. Every team has players that have less than zero chance of making the roster, but their presence saves wear and tear on other players. It's a necessity. He will be in the first round of cuts. I would bet my new house on it.
            Adipose

Comment

• Panama
              パナマ
              • Aug 2013
              • London
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Beerman View Post
              Article posted today from the UT talking about his improved strength and conditioning (see I'm not that biased!! ignore the bolded part!!)

As the 5th CB, I'm quite alright with him being on the team. The question is whether the Chargers prefer his experience or if they want to develop guys like Ghee (2 year deal) or Chris Davis (3 years + RFA option). I don't think a guy like Davis clears waivers.
              I thought it was pretty obvious that the Marshall that ended last season was not the same Marshall that began it. He was much improved and wasn't a huge liability as Cox had been. If Marshall has improved even more, we have reason to be pleased. He would be a very solid backup for us indeed.
              Adipose

Comment

• Maverick
                (Coryellian)
                • Jun 2013
                • Point Loma
                • Send PM

Time to Field this Marshall!

Stratego logo:

Comment

• Steve
                  Administrator
                  • Jun 2013
                  • South Carolina
                  • Meteorologist
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Panama View Post
                  I thought it was pretty obvious that the Marshall that ended last season was not the same Marshall that began it. He was much improved and wasn't a huge liability as Cox had been. If Marshall has improved even more, we have reason to be pleased. He would be a very solid backup for us indeed.
                  Marshall was coming back from a back injury. He lost 10 pounds of muscle and it took time to start to come back. Now that his back are healed and his body is back to playing conditions, it will be exciting to see how he plays.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
                    Grammar Police
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Antonio Gates, Ladarius Green have ‘tight’ relationship

SAN DIEGO - Coming into the 2014 season, the San Diego Chargers have a tight end combination that proved to be a difficult match-up for many defenders last year.

With Antonio Gates returning for his 13th season and Ladarius Green entering his third, the duo is expected to share the field again this year.

For how many games and how many snaps, that’s the unknown. But the Chargers have a tight end package that works successfully in their offense and scheme.

Last season Gates finished third among tight ends in targets and receiving yards, and fourth in catches. He caught 77 passes for 872 yards and four touchdowns. Gates’ style resembles his college basketball days of footwork and boxing out defenders. He has been Philip Rivers‘ most trusted and go-to guy, especially on third downs.

On the other hand, Green had 17 receptions for 376 yards (an average of 22 yards per catch) and three touchdowns. He has the speed and explosiveness that gives him the ability to stretch down the field as a deep ball and vertical threat.

It’s no question the two compliment each other on the field. Off the field, they compliment about one another.

“He’s growing at a rapid pace. He’s very talented and very humble. More so characteristic wise, he’s one of the better people you’re going to meet,” Gates expressed. “I try to lead by example and show him what it’s about being a NFL tight end.”

The 24-year-old stated he’s happy to have the opportunity to learn from the eight-time Pro Bowler.

“That’s one of the best things that has happened to me coming into the league. Having a mentor like him, a person who’s going to be a Hall of Famer, and who knows the game very well. He’s willing to help me all the time, so it’s just a perfect situation for me right now,” Green asserted.

A veteran helping a younger player isn’t always the case within the league, especially before the season. Sometimes the veterans don’t want to reveal too much in fear of losing their starting spot or job. The NFL has grown more competitive over the recent years with players coming in at a higher level. To earn a spot on the 53-man roster, let alone as a starter, it’s every man for himself.

But with Gates, he is so comfortable with his own skill set that he doesn’t mind sharing. He’s embraced the role as the teacher, a position many players may not step up to because they feel as though, they are training their replacement. However, to become a teacher like Gates, means it will take an even superb player to get to his level.

“We’re not on the same level right now,” stated Green. “But he always pulls me to the side and tells me what I could do better, and what he would’ve done in that situation.”

And with every great teacher comes praise for their student.

“One glaring thing about him is that he’s super talented,” Gates added. “He brings something different to the table than what I bring. What he’s able to do in the passing game, how he’s able to spread the field out and go down…it’s just something totally different than what I bring to the table
                    Go Rivers!

Comment

• Grinners
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Panama View Post
                      He will not be anything on this team. He is camp fodder. Every team has players that have less than zero chance of making the roster, but their presence saves wear and tear on other players. It's a necessity. He will be in the first round of cuts. I would bet my new house on it.
                      I understand what your saying in general terms, but, we already had 9+ CBs on the roster and 3 of them are not gonna make it. So why pick up a 6'1" guy that's also not gonna make it. I suspect that at least one of the YOUNG CB/DB with good ground coverage abilities, will move into a Safety role (ie move Jammer to Safety). We have 3 small fast CBs as our primary backs on paper, yet we face Peyton Manning twice a year with big WRs. So why not ensure that our young potential players with some height and right match ups (on paper) make the roster. The back up FS position behind Weddle would be one spot for the right guy. Jammer to Safety guy LOL................
                      Not saying its Rose jus saying its a spot to stash young talent if the right guy is there, since CB cuts are gonna be such a tough call.

Comment

• RTPbolt
                        Charger Fan till the end
                        • Jun 2013
                        • North Carolina
                        • Send PM

I think getting Williams back, adding Flowers and Verrett are going to be huge for this year. I agree Marshall started to get the position to close the last 6 games last year....he made some horrible mistakes early but clearly was light years better in the 2nd half of the season. If Williams can come back where he left off where he looked promising I can really see him as a great fit into the rotation. We certainly have a lot better talent pool at the position.....now can we get them all aligned to Pagano and not making big mistakes early while they all gel. I expect some problematic mistakes....but once they do gel I think the CB core might actually be a strength over time.

At this point im wondering more about how the DL will play....depth there is more in question now. Hope they stay healthy. I do think Lessismore fits our scheme and will help more than he hurts despite is lack of bulk for a NT type guy. I think we will see lots of different looks on the DL/LB side by Pagano getting his playmakers in there and getting them all experience.

All in all I think provided we dont take a lot of injuries again our defense looks on paper far superior to last year and "could" really play a much faster, proactive style of defense this year vs a bend but dont break style our injuries caused last year.

Comment

• Panama
                          パナマ
                          • Aug 2013
                          • London
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Stinky Wizzleteats+ View Post
                          It’s no question the two compliment each other on the field. Off the field, they compliment about one another.
                          When did it become ok for journalists not to know the language they write in? :facepalm1:

I don't mind if Gates and Green compliment each other on the field, as long as all that feel-good shit doesn't take their focus off the game. At the moment, though, they certainly complement each other on the field.
                          Adipose

Comment

Working...
                          X