Clear All
  • Panama
    パナマ
    • Aug 2013
    • London
    • Opera singer and web developer.
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Grinners View Post
    I understand what your saying in general terms, but, we already had 9+ CBs on the roster and 3 of them are not gonna make it. So why pick up a 6'1" guy that's also not gonna make it. I suspect that at least one of the YOUNG CB/DB with good ground coverage abilities, will move into a Safety role (ie move Jammer to Safety). We have 3 small fast CBs as our primary backs on paper, yet we face Peyton Manning twice a year with big WRs. So why not ensure that our young potential players with some height and right match ups (on paper) make the roster. The back up FS position behind Weddle would be one spot for the right guy. Jammer to Safety guy LOL................
    Not saying its Rose jus saying its a spot to stash young talent if the right guy is there, since CB cuts are gonna be such a tough call.
    I'm not saying your theory is necessarily wrong, but I don't think we can glean anything meaningful from Rose's addition. The number of CBs on the roster is not germaine. Rose will be used a lot on kick and punt coverage, and then he will be waived in the first round of cuts.

Maybe the team approaches one of the other CBs who are unlikely to make the roster (Ghee, Butler, Cromartie) about switching to a hybrid role a la Gilchrist, but that would probably mean sacrificing Stuckey, which I don't think is likely to happen.

As for the size factor, this has been discussed at length regarding Verrett and Flowers: size is not nearly as important as speed and technique. A CB who is in position and can break on a ball will make a play regardless of his size except on the very few plays that are jump balls by design; a CB who is out of position and or cannot break on a ball will fail to make plays no matter how tall he is.
    Adipose

Comment

• bonehead
      Undrafted
      • Jul 2013
      • TBD
      • Retired
      • Send PM

Originally posted by RTPbolt View Post
      I think getting Williams back, adding Flowers and Verrett are going to be huge for this year. I agree Marshall started to get the position to close the last 6 games last year....he made some horrible mistakes early but clearly was light years better in the 2nd half of the season. If Williams can come back where he left off where he looked promising I can really see him as a great fit into the rotation. We certainly have a lot better talent pool at the position.....now can we get them all aligned to Pagano and not making big mistakes early while they all gel. I expect some problematic mistakes....but once they do gel I think the CB core might actually be a strength over time.

At this point im wondering more about how the DL will play....depth there is more in question now. Hope they stay healthy. I do think Lessismore fits our scheme and will help more than he hurts despite is lack of bulk for a NT type guy. I think we will see lots of different looks on the DL/LB side by Pagano getting his playmakers in there and getting them all experience.
      I concur.....also don't forget Addae , he got thrown into the mix as an UDFA and played pretty well. We should see a big improvement from him.....hoping anyway
      Forget it Donny you're out of your element

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

• ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

If Addae is 10% better, Marshall is 5% better, Flowers does what he's historically done, Williams plays like he did in camp last year and Verrett plays like a promising first round rookie commensurate with where he was picked, we can turn our defensive worries exclusively to the pass rush.

Comment

• Rugger05
          Administrator
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR View Post
          If Addae is 10% better, Marshall is 5% better, Flowers does what he's historically done, Williams plays like he did in camp last year and Verrett plays like a promising first round rookie commensurate with where he was picked, we can turn our defensive worries exclusively to the pass rush.

Don't forget worrying about the NT position

Comment

• bonehead
            Undrafted
            • Jul 2013
            • TBD
            • Retired
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Rugger05 View Post
            Don't forget worrying about the NT position
            Like we could ever forget......
            Forget it Donny you're out of your element

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

• RTPbolt
              Charger Fan till the end
              • Jun 2013
              • North Carolina
              • Send PM

Just think Lessismore....he can do it. I think he's a bit of a hybride DE/NT type that Pagano will make work. He showed he could play well last year and Pagano really liked him in there. He may not be prototypical but if he can hold his own and keep offenses on their toes with his better quickness than a traditional NT type and not give up the play in the middle I like his flexible nature. We will do a lot of subbing anyway between 3/4 and 4/3 so i dont think its going to be a huge weakness...just my gut.

Addae proved to be a breath of fresh air last year.....he has an energy and seems to be learning the position well. Another that gelled well as the season progressed. The upside to such an injury riddled team last year on D was our younger guys got some valuable tutoring on the fly and we found some talent. I like our depth better than last year for sure....still some areas i'd like more talent but who knows whom we might get in some late veteran cuts....TT may not be done yet.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                Dont let the PBs fool ya
                • Jun 2013
                • Henderson, NV
                • Send PM

I like that Williams has looked good in TC. But i dont put any stock in that. He hasnt played in any games at all so all this talk of how good some of us think he is is just that......talk..... til he shows something in a game. He didnt go til 5th round in a weak draft for a reason. I hope he is a gem that they found, but ,.......Color me skeptical.

Comment

• blueman
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Saw this:

"The day that I went to TC, Keiser was putting on a show. Got to the QB and looked stronger and faster than last year. I think he beats out Tourek Williams for the last OLB spot."

Comment

• Beerman
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Eastlake
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
                    Saw this:

"The day that I went to TC, Keiser was putting on a show. Got to the QB and looked stronger and faster than last year. I think he beats out Tourek Williams for the last OLB spot."
                    Gotta take that with a grain of salt. A lot of the times Keiser is going vs. the third string guys.

Comment

• Formula 21
                      The Future is Now
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Republic of San Diego
                      • Send PM

Chargers DE Corey Liuget back practicing.
                      Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                      The Wasted Decade is done.
                      Build Back Better.

Comment

• Panama
                        パナマ
                        • Aug 2013
                        • London
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
                        I like that Williams has looked good in TC. But i dont put any stock in that. He hasnt played in any games at all so all this talk of how good some of us think he is is just that......talk..... til he shows something in a game. He didnt go til 5th round in a weak draft for a reason. I hope he is a gem that they found, but ,.......Color me skeptical.
                        He looked very good in preseason games last season. In fact, before he got injured, I would argue he looked our best CB in preseason games last season. Do those games not count for evaluation purposes?
                        Adipose

Comment

• Panama
                          パナマ
                          • Aug 2013
                          • London
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
                          Saw this:

Originally posted by Beerman View Post
                          Gotta take that with a grain of salt. A lot of the times Keiser is going vs. the third string guys.
                          And there's no mention of who said it. The source is important, as some people know what they're talking about and others can't evaluate talent for shit.

Matt Millen logo:
                          Adipose

Comment

Working...
                          X