• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Xenos
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by RTPbolt View Post
    I doubt Denver turns it around that quickly with new coaching and plans to learn. Im not sold on their qb situation either. Flacco has declined and is going into aworse OL situation.
    I see them being an old school team that ground and pounds, with a good defense to keep them in games.

Comment

• SYB
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Mar 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

I see them being an old school team that ground and pounds, with a good defense to keep them in games.
      That's a tough road to hoe when you're in a division with 2 teams who can light up the scoreboard though.

Comment

• Xenos
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by SYB View Post

That's a tough road to hoe when you're in a division with 2 teams who can light up the scoreboard though.
        It's the old TOP game. It's what allowed Denver to almost beat KC last year in their first meeting. Too bad Case Keenum overthrew a wide open Thomas.

Comment

• Sgt. Pepper
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Apr 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by SYB View Post

Let me remind you that TW had like 1 or 2 catches and spent most of the year on the PS before his breakout year 2. So why is it so hard to imagine Scott or Cantrell doing the same? Both were getting tons of love before succumbing to injuries last TC.

And you don't spend $11 million a year on an "insurance" policy.
          I don't think you understand my position. My position is that there is no experience behind the top three WRs on our roster, all of whom have missed time due to injury in the past three seasons. Artavis Scott has been a PC player for two seasons and has never made it to the regular roster. Cantrell was elevated to the regular roster the end of last season but was never in a game. Geremy Davis caught two passes four years ago, none since. Maybe Cantrell steps up this season, I hope so, but do you want to have your insurance policy be a guy who has never caught an NFL pass? This is why I wish we had a 4th receiver with some experience, like an Inman. I just hope that the Chargers don't lose KA or MW for any significant amount of time, because the offense will take a hit without a replacement that defenses have to respect.

Tyrell btw caught two passes his rookie season and took one of those 80 yards to the house. It was pretty apparent what we had in him. Cantrell is not in that league.

Comment

• Formula 21
            The Future is Now
            • Jun 2013
            • Republic of San Diego
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Sgt. Pepper View Post
            I don't think you understand my position. My position is that there is no experience behind the top three WRs on our roster, all of whom have missed time due to injury in the past three seasons. Artavis Scott has been a PC player for two seasons and has never made it to the regular roster. Cantrell was elevated to the regular roster the end of last season but was never in a game. Geremy Davis caught two passes four years ago, none since. Maybe Cantrell steps up this season, I hope so, but do you want to have your insurance policy be a guy who has never caught an NFL pass? This is why I wish we had a 4th receiver with some experience, like an Inman. I just hope that the Chargers don't lose KA or MW for any significant amount of time, because the offense will take a hit without a replacement that defenses have to respect.

Tyrell btw caught two passes his rookie season and took one of those 80 yards to the house. It was pretty apparent what we had in him. Cantrell is not in that league.
            I loved Inman. But I also think all three of those guys are as good as Inman. So I'm happy with them all as #4-#6 type receivers.
            Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
            The Wasted Decade is done.
            Build Back Better.

Comment

• SYB
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Mar 2019
              • Send PM

Oh, I understand your position, I just think it's flawed as I don't think that playing in 1 game and getting a couple catches makes a player markedly more "experienced" than a guy who has yet to get game action. And while he did step up year 2, his game was far from polished, and as a result, he caused quite a few turn overs by not being where he should be and/or not fighting for balls. Also, Scott was PS one year and one on IR. And Cantrell didn't get a chance, because we didn't need him since we had a bunch of healthy studs playing and PO seeding on the line, unlike Tyrell when he got his late call up his rookie year when he had a bunch of question marks, zero PO hopes and a retiring Floyd ahead of him. Also, not sure why you keep bringing Davis up since I haven't, as I have little faith in him doing much of anything. And regardless of how many yards one of TW's rec's went for, bottom line is he had just 2 rec's going into year 2, so it's puzzling to me how you are so convinced that no other player can make that sort of leap with some playing time. Especially when both of the guys being mentioned were better prospects coming out of college. I'd argue that speed is the only attribute that TW has over Cantrell. Dylan is a more polished route runner and is light years ahead of TW on high pointing the ball, which PR absolutely loves in his WR's. I have been a vocal fan of TW since the moment we signed him, but I'm not going to act as if he is irreplaceable or worth to the Chargers what he got signed for.

And I do find it funny that you keep ignoring the $11 million a year elephant in the room.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                Dont let the PBs fool ya
                • Jun 2013
                • Henderson, NV
                • Send PM

I get what your saying,....however Keenan hasn't been injured for two straight seasons and MW wasn't injured last year either so he has one injured year, one not.

Benjamin is the guy that missed time last season.

And I get it, I wanted us to draft a WR but they didn't so I'm thinking they like those three and hope they step up. I feel better that Kingsbury had high praise for Cantrell who said we got a steal with him.
                We'll see.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                  Dont let the PBs fool ya
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Henderson, NV
                  • Send PM

FWIW, ....seeing him play of course is the best thing to do but here are some combine and pronday numbers for Cantrell and a few comments on him:

*Cantrell, who helped himself at the NFL combine with some of the top numbers across the board, elected to go again during the on-campus workouts. The 6-foot-3, 223-pound wide receiver's numbers included a 41-inch vertical jump, 11-feet, 3-inch standing broad jump, 4.47 and 4.50 40-yard times and 10-yard times of 1.63 and 1.65.

*From Rotoworld
                  Texas Tech WR Dylan Cantrell produced a composite athletic score in the 97th percentile at the 2018 NFL Combine.

At 226 pounds, Cantrell posted a 4.03 short shuttle, 6.56 3-cone, 38.5-inch vertical and almost an 11-foot broad jump on top of a 4.59 forty. Cantrell will be 24 years old this season, but his athleticism will draw a third-day selection, at least.

*From Rotoworld

A big-bodied (6-foot-3, 226 pounds) possession receiver, Cantrell recorded 129 catches for 1,491 yards (11.56 YPR) and 15 touchdowns over his final two seasons at Texas Tech. Cantrell unsurprisingly ran a 4.59 at the Combine, but he showed extremely well in the explosion drills (38.5-inch vertical, 130-inch broad) and managed the 3-cone drill in 6.56. Cantrell's floor is as a possession receiver with good balls skills, and his testing numbers suggest he could develop into something more.

Comment

• Formula 21
                    The Future is Now
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Republic of San Diego
                    • Send PM

As I recall, most on this board were not happy when he was drafted. How times have changed.
                    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                    The Wasted Decade is done.
                    Build Back Better.

Comment

• Bolt-O
                      Administrator
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
                      As I recall, most on this board were not happy when he was drafted. How times have changed.
                      On Cantrell? I don't recall a reaction one way or another, except maybe he was drafted in a position we already had strength in. My only hope for 3rd day guys is that they make the team, but Cantrell was a special case... maybe just hidden on the PS with that hazy injury that prevented him from being on tape. I'm looking forward to seeing him in pre-season.

Comment

• sonorajim
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Panamamike View Post

It is funny that it many posters view our own rooks need to prove it, yet Den and Oak rooks are the reason for improvement by leaps and bounds.
                        They have to prove it also. We have all seen acclaimed draft picks and FAs who for one reason or another did not have an immediate favorable impact.

Comment

• SYB
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Mar 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post

On Cantrell? I don't recall a reaction one way or another, except maybe he was drafted in a position we already had strength in. My only hope for 3rd day guys is that they make the team, but Cantrell was a special case... maybe just hidden on the PS with that hazy injury that prevented him from being on tape. I'm looking forward to seeing him in pre-season.
                          I'm guessing that he's talking about Mike Williams. If folks were freaking out about pick #191, they need to find a hobby.

Comment

Working...
                          X