POLL: What should the Bolts do with Gordon?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jamrock
    lawyers, guns and money
    • Sep 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

Yet he signed a legally binding contract anyway. Nobody held a gun to his head and forced him to sign it. Didn't see him offering the team any money back in his first 3 seasons when he was hurt and averaged under 4 yards a carry. As others have pointed out, the guy is coming off a season where he missed a quarter of the regular season and was a complete non-factor in the playoffs. Somehow, he feels it entitles him to elite RB money. IMO, he hasn't earned it.
    Blah blah blah. If the Chargers didn't see the value they wouldn't have offered him an improved deal and would just trade him and get what they can. That's not what they are doing from all reports.

Comment

• Steve
      Administrator
      • Jun 2013
      • South Carolina
      • Meteorologist
      • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

How much of a choice did Gordon have with slotted contracts?
      Gordon personally, he didn't have any say in it. But the NFLPA, on his (and every other player) behalf, put the 5th year option into the CBA.

This is really about the slotting however. The Chargers have made him an offer to extend him. He has had the option to play for a lot more money than the 5th year offer. Gordon just doesn't like the new deal, even though it is probably a fair market deal. Many of us wouldn't pay a RB what the Chargers were offering. So, when Gordon's deal expires, he can go look for a new offer.

If Laveon Bell can shop himself around the NFL, find no takers for that kind of money, then I don't see much of a market for MG, at least not at his price.

I think Gordon is like a lot of players in that they feel like they have "earned" a new deal, and that isn't really what it is about. NFL contracts are about expected value. Past value is relatively meaningless, except as a predictor of future success, which as any broker will tell, you shouldn't do. Players have a hard time with fact that teams try to do their best to predict future production. RB future production, historically sucks. There are a few outliers, namely almost anyone on the NFL top 10 rushers list.

Comment

• 21&500
        Bolt Spit-Baller
        • Sep 2018
        • A Whale's Vajayjay
        • CMB refugee
        • Send PM

Titans might want to offer something
        henry went down with an injury today
        P1. Block Destruction - Ogbonnia
        P2. Shocking Effort - Eboigbe
        P3. Ball Disruption - Ford
        P4. Obnoxious Communication - Matlock

Comment

• Steve
          Administrator
          • Jun 2013
          • South Carolina
          • Meteorologist
          • Send PM

There is a chance of getting something with the injuries happening. Then it is just a matter of deciding what the price is.

So, the baseline has to be 3rd round comp pick. Comp picks are awarded at the end of the 3rd, so only smidge more value than a 4th round pick. Factor into that, we wouldn't get the pick for 2 years after this season (2019 - he sits, 2020 he signs, then the comp pick is awarded for the 2021 draft).

Historically, the NFL draft value of a pick is 1 round per year. If you want to trade up to get an extra 2nd, it costs you next years 1st. A 4th this coming draft is worth more the same as a 3rd the following year. Actually a bit more, just because you KNOW that the comp pick will be at the end of the round, a traded pick has a chance of being at the top of the round.

To me, that says if we can get a 3rd or 4th rounder, we would come out ahead. I don't see anyone trading a 3rd to then have the privilege of paying him at the top of the RB payscale, so it would have to be 4th.

Comment

• jamrock
            lawyers, guns and money
            • Sep 2017
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

Gordon personally, he didn't have any say in it. But the NFLPA, on his (and every other player) behalf, put the 5th year option into the CBA.

This is really about the slotting however. The Chargers have made him an offer to extend him. He has had the option to play for a lot more money than the 5th year offer. Gordon just doesn't like the new deal, even though it is probably a fair market deal. Many of us wouldn't pay a RB what the Chargers were offering. So, when Gordon's deal expires, he can go look for a new offer.

If Laveon Bell can shop himself around the NFL, find no takers for that kind of money, then I don't see much of a market for MG, at least not at his price.

I think Gordon is like a lot of players in that they feel like they have "earned" a new deal, and that isn't really what it is about. NFL contracts are about expected value. Past value is relatively meaningless, except as a predictor of future success, which as any broker will tell, you shouldn't do. Players have a hard time with fact that teams try to do their best to predict future production. RB future production, historically sucks. There are a few outliers, namely almost anyone on the NFL top 10 rushers list.
            I agree with most of this but the NFLPA wasn't negotiating on Gordon's behalf. He wasn't even drafted yet. It was trying to help it's veteran players get a bigger piece of the pie and keep rookie contracts down. So Gordon is a captive of that CBA negotiation, specifically the 5th year option for 1st rounders. I will say this for Gordon, he has improved and always gives 1000%. Good character guy also. The kind the Chargers are fond of saying they like to take care of. By all reports they are trying to do that.

Comment

• richpjr
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Nashville
              • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

Blah blah blah. If the Chargers didn't see the value they wouldn't have offered him an improved deal and would just trade him and get what they can. That's not what they are doing from all reports.
              I never said anywhere that the Chargers did not see the value in him and they have tried to extend and take care of their drafted players in the past. But clearly they don't value him (or RBs in general) enough to overpay and I'm sure aren't thrilled a holdout.

Comment

• Lone Bolt
                Oline-Tip of the Spear...
                • Feb 2019
                • McLean Illinois
                • Pipefitter Illinois State University
                • Send PM

I've softened my stance on Gordon, after hearing comments from teammates, coaches, and front office...they all want him here...it has to be reasonable, but I'll be happy to have him back...but I would like this resolved by the middle of preseason. If not done by opening day, forget about him and move forward...let him sit or trade to a willing partner if a need arises...but I'm gonna remain optimistic for the next few weeks...
                Adopted Bolt: Kimani Vidal RB

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• Topcat
                  AKA "Pollcat"
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post
                  If i own the team im going to Rivers privately. Im cutting a deal with him where he forgoes 3-4M this year and he gives it to Gordon. Rivers comes out and says he is doing this just this one time to give him a chance to finally win a SB. This way other players wont think the team did it. So its not setting a precedent. Then im also agreeing to a new contract for Rivers where we give him 27M Per over 3 years. But announce it as 30M the first year 27M and 27M.

Melvin makes 8M this year and then Rivers gets paid back in the first year of his new contract.

Gordon plays this year. We win the SB. Rivers is extended. Gordon gets a huge contract with some other team and we get a 3rd round comp. Then draft another RB next year.

sesame street idk GIF
                  Tempting idea, there, Fleet, but then, you put Rivers in the position to play "Santa Claus" for other players. What if Bosa or Mike Will ask for some "Santa Phil" money? What will Santa say then?

Comment

• Topcat
                    AKA "Pollcat"
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                    There is a chance of getting something with the injuries happening. Then it is just a matter of deciding what the price is.

So, the baseline has to be 3rd round comp pick. Comp picks are awarded at the end of the 3rd, so only smidge more value than a 4th round pick. Factor into that, we wouldn't get the pick for 2 years after this season (2019 - he sits, 2020 he signs, then the comp pick is awarded for the 2021 draft).

Historically, the NFL draft value of a pick is 1 round per year. If you want to trade up to get an extra 2nd, it costs you next years 1st. A 4th this coming draft is worth more the same as a 3rd the following year. Actually a bit more, just because you KNOW that the comp pick will be at the end of the round, a traded pick has a chance of being at the top of the round.

To me, that says if we can get a 3rd or 4th rounder, we would come out ahead. I don't see anyone trading a 3rd to then have the privilege of paying him at the top of the RB payscale, so it would have to be 4th.
                    I'm thinking either a low 3rd rounder or a high 4th. It's also possible we get a high to mid round 3rd, and throw in a player or a 7th rounder to sweeten the pot.

Comment

• jamrock
                      lawyers, guns and money
                      • Sep 2017
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

I'm thinking either a low 3rd rounder or a high 4th. It's also possible we get a high to mid round 3rd, and throw in a player or a 7th rounder to sweeten the pot.
                      I don't want draft picks. I want a player that can help us this season. And if not an RB then we'll need to pick somebody up.

Comment

• Boltgang74
                        We Are The Storm!
                        • Aug 2018
                        • Send PM

Trent Williams!TT trade the man!

Comment

• Caslon
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Apr 2019
                          • Send PM

#Chargers & Melvin Gordon talks are $2-$3 million apart in average salary. Chargers hoping for a raise over #Falcons' Devonta Freeman (5 years, $41.25 mil). Gordon aiming closer to #Cardinals' David Johnson (3 yrs, $39 mil). I think $12 mil per yr w/ incentives would get it done.

Comment

Working...
                          X