• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • richpjr
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Nashville
    • Send PM

I mentioned this before but I always wonder if the front office thought they could get by with less investment in the offensive line because of Rivers quick release and football IQ that can help set up the protection for the line. Not that it paid off for Rivers with the constant pounding he took. Just a theory...

Comment

• Steve
      Administrator
      • Jun 2013
      • South Carolina
      • Meteorologist
      • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

I beg to differ. hindsight is 20/20 but practically every OL FA could have upgraded someone on that LAC OL.
      Most of the OL who were available last season had grades similar to the Chargers players. Those that had better grades mostly got a lot of money. Not too many OL who have changed teams in the last few seasons have gone on to produce at the same level or better once they move on to a new team. You can ignore my grades, but PFF grades bear that out.

The assumption that a player will perform at the same level as FA is simply not true. There are always exceptions of course, but mostly FA are a waste of space as well as money. If you have to use FA to fill needs, it proves you are not drafting well.

Comment

• Steve
        Administrator
        • Jun 2013
        • South Carolina
        • Meteorologist
        • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
        I mentioned this before but I always wonder if the front office thought they could get by with less investment in the offensive line because of Rivers quick release and football IQ that can help set up the protection for the line. Not that it paid off for Rivers with the constant pounding he took. Just a theory...
        I do think this is part of it.

Do you overspend (both money and draft capital) to fix the OL and still lose because of the other holes not being filled, or do you draft best available and try to fill the multiple holes the best you can?

There is also a part that they felt like the younger players would improve. It didn't happen, but it is still likely to happen to some degree. I wouldn't wait for it, but despite the pessimism on the board, players do improve as they get more reps. Coaches wouldn't bother with the OTA's and minicamps and training camps if it didn't.

Demand is high. More than half of the teams in the NFL have one or more serious holes along the OL.

College teams (read this as spread teams) water down the techniques they use. College OL are not coming out with the basic fundamental skill to be ready to play, and many that might be good athletes are being forced into action way too soon.

Only weak players are not making it through to become FA. Those few marginal players are making obscene money, and not performing well either.

We had other needs with more tempting targets at other positions. Despite our need at OL, we had other needs that also needed to be addressed last season (despite the selective memory of so many). The only DT we had signed at this time last season was Justin Jones. Mebane, Liuget, Square and Philon were all part time players and FA too. Mebane was at least a decent signing as a locker room guy, but Philon and Liuget are backup production at starters prices. Overpaying for them last season wouldn't have made sense. We also would not have been able to go after a FA LB and backup QB.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
          Smooth Operation
          • May 2017
          • Send PM

As always, great stuff, Steve.
          I would like to add a little here.

I just was reading about Senior Bowl risers, at The Draft Network. The name Josh Jones came up, an athletic OT out of University of Houston. His much desired athleticism, plus a great week in Mobile is causing a climb on Big Boards. He is now maybe late round 1, and on our radar at 37 fo sho.

These athletic OTs are intriguing to teams. The names Kolton Miller and Andre Dillard came up. It was mentioned that the above factors cause teams to get excited about "upside," and draft these tackles a round or two early.

LOL. I believe the shining example in mind here was Trey Pipkins. My point is that now that we have committed to Pipkins, and he has had some valuable developmental snaps, scratch OT as PON !
          We do not play modern football.

Comment

• like54ninjas
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Oct 2017
            • Great White North
            • Draftnik
            • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
            As always, great stuff, Steve.
            I would like to add a little here.

I just was reading about Senior Bowl risers, at The Draft Network. The name Josh Jones came up, an athletic OT out of University of Houston. His much desired athleticism, plus a great week in Mobile is causing a climb on Big Boards. He is now maybe late round 1, and on our radar at 37 fo sho.

These athletic OTs are intriguing to teams. The names Kolton Miller and Andre Dillard came up. It was mentioned that the above factors cause teams to get excited about "upside," and draft these tackles a round or two early.

LOL. I believe the shining example in mind here was Trey Pipkins. My point is that now that we have committed to Pipkins, and he has had some valuable developmental snaps, scratch OT as PON !
            Wood how can OT be scratched off PON?
            We currently have 1 older vet OT that is a massive medical concern, 1 OT that has proven over his 3 years that he is not adequate, & 1 2nd year developmental OT that may/may not pan out.
            Again how is OT not a MAJOR PON? It has been for years and we have yet to provide answers to this ongoing question.

Josh Jones has upside but his length, 33 5/8” arms/80 1/2” wingspan, is questionable.
            My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
            K9
            Nasir
            Tillery
            Parham
            Reed

Comment

• wu-dai clan
              Smooth Operation
              • May 2017
              • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

Wood how can OT be scratched off PON?
              We currently have 1 older vet OT that is a massive medical concern, 1 OT that has proven over his 3 years that he is not adequate, & 1 2nd year developmental OT that may/may not pan out.
              Again how is OT not a MAJOR PON? It has been for years and we have yet to provide answers to this ongoing question.

Josh Jones has upside but his length, 33 5/8” arms/80 1/2” wingspan, is questionable.
              We will give Pipkins a chance to develop.

Now the IOL ???
              We do not play modern football.

Comment

• blueman
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Be nice if Lamp could stay in the field.

Comment

• like54ninjas
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Oct 2017
                  • Great White North
                  • Draftnik
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

We will give Pipkins a chance to develop.

Now the IOL ???
                  Agree Pip needs a chance to develop into a quality SOT.

Yep IOL is an issue going forward.
                  I would try kicking Sam inside to ORG and give him the opportunity there. With his size/length, 6’ 5” - 315# - 34” arm, lack of ability to protect arc, power/movement skills in run game, and good feet; the move will maximize skillset and give him/team better fit going forward.
                  Lamp, health, and Feeney, passpro, will also be in final contract year.
                  This will be the final year of evaluating these 3 2017 draft picks. My thoughts are 1-2 will earn a new contract/job and the other(s) will find new homes via FA in 2021.

My wearing the “GM” hat, I would draft an IOL, preferably an OC, to compete this year for starting job, to provide depth, and prepare for 2021 departures.
                  Qberry has starter potential at both OC & OG. He will be competing for a position this season.
                  The 2020 competition at the IOL of Lamp, Tevi, Feeney, Qberry, Pouncey(?), Ruiz (my mock draft pick), and TScott would be a solid group going into TC.
                  Also at OT - Conklin (my FA signing), Becton (my draft pick), Pipkins, and St. Louis would be our best group at OT in a coon’s age.

This of course is my current thoughts.
                  It has no basis in what I think the Bolts will do. This I’ve given up trying to figure out since it only can drive one insane!
                  Last edited by like54ninjas; 01-28-2020, 02:21 PM. Reason: spelling and grammar

MikeDub
                  K9
                  Nasir
                  Tillery
                  Parham
                  Reed

Comment

• richpjr
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Nashville
                    • Send PM

Have we hired a new oline coach yet? Haven't heard anything about it.

Comment

• like54ninjas
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Oct 2017
                      • Great White North
                      • Draftnik
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
                      Have we hired a new oline coach yet? Haven't heard anything about it.
                      Not yet

MikeDub
                      K9
                      Nasir
                      Tillery
                      Parham
                      Reed

Comment

• richpjr
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Nashville
                        • Send PM

Comment

• Steve
                          Administrator
                          • Jun 2013
                          • South Carolina
                          • Meteorologist
                          • Send PM

I don't know if I would use the term "wait" to develop for any of our OL.

I think Pipkins has the kind of footwork that can make him our future LT. However, given the NFL game right now, I wouldn't let that prevent me from drafting an OT with our 1st pick, even if I expect Okung back. Most OT types can play inside if needed.

We need competition at EVERY spot on the OL.

People keep talking about Pouncey playing well, but he is a shell of his former self. He has been "solid" for us, but his pass protection has been inconsistent, so if someone can compete with him, I would put his job up for grabs. Quessenberry had some moments, but he didn't exactly run away with the job. Feeney has some ability at C, but he is stuck spinning his wheels. Even the C spot is up for grabs

OG is a little better than C. Feeney did have some time this year where he wasn't a turnstile. But every time I thought he was making progress, he would regress again. He is on his rookie deal, so bring him back, just make sure we have someone (or more than 1 someone) to compete against him. Schofield is a ok 5th OL, but he shouldn't be our best player, which is what he was. I would like to see him back, if for no other reason to be the top backup off the bench at OT or OG, but we need to at least bring in someone to compete against him (or move someone over to compete). Lamp had some ups and downs, but his downs were awkward, and he need to stay healthy. He did look like he was getting better when he was playing.

Right now, based on last season's performances, only Okung is playing at a level that would I would say is "safe" . But his health situation makes him a question mark, as does his age. Pipkins has the signs of a keeper, but he is not a complete player by any stretch. His upper body looks lost. Scott had some impressive plays leading runs, and screens in space, but he tends to duck his head and then he whiffs spectacularly. I wouldn't rule him out by any means, but some guys can't ever get over that one bad habit, and he doesn't seem to be able to get over that. Tevi has gotten a lot better since he was a rookie, but he was so raw you have to wonder how much better he can get. He was injured, and is still on his rookie deal, so he will be back. Adding a #1 pick to compete against him would be about what the doctor ordered.

Comment

Working...
                          X