• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • El_Tee
    I’m No Noob
    • Sep 2019
    • Disney World, FL
    • Send PM

Here’s our big mistake in this past offseason.

We assumed that for whatever reason:

1. Forrest Lamp would finally convert and upgrade one of the G positions

2. That the other contracted bodies would be “another season even better” than 2018’s 12-4 campaign

3. We’d get another full year out of Pouncey and Okung, two pro bowlers but vets with lots of wear on the treads.

My issue with these-

1. Lamp for whatever reason was a top of the draft guard that didn’t convert. Just move on. He may become good somewhere else, like Fluker in SEA. Doesn’t matter. Don’t overthink it. Just cut and move on.

2. We should always be looking to improve. You can’t tell me there wasn’t a single “value body” cut during cap battles elsewhere that wouldn’t have improved our situation. Telesco has done an awful job at evaluating OL. He has a seven year history. His only two “hits” takes us to point #3 below.

3. Telesco brought in two superstar FAs. They planned out in 2018 and helped a very bad OL pass the smell test enough to make it to the divisional round. But one spot is gigantic question mark (LT) and the other MAY be (if Q continues to improve/or regresses). And the backup LT, Pipkins was a huge reach and doesn’t show much upside even as a 3rd round project/pipe dream.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Dec 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by El_Tee View Post

2. That the other contracted bodies would be “another season even better” than 2018’s 12-4 campaign

3. We’d get another full year out of Pouncey and Okung, two pro bowlers but vets with lots of wear on the treads.

My issue with these-

1. Lamp for whatever reason was a top of the draft guard that didn’t convert. Just move on. He may become good somewhere else, like Fluker in SEA. Doesn’t matter. Don’t overthink it. Just cut and move on.

2. We should always be looking to improve. You can’t tell me there wasn’t a single “value body” cut during cap battles elsewhere that wouldn’t have improved our situation. Telesco has done an awful job at evaluating OL. He has a seven year history. His only two “hits” takes us to point #3 below.

3. Telesco brought in two superstar FAs. They planned out in 2018 and helped a very bad OL pass the smell test enough to make it to the divisional round. But one spot is gigantic question mark (LT) and the other MAY be (if Q continues to improve/or regresses). And the backup LT, Pipkins was a huge reach and doesn’t show much upside even as a 3rd round project/pipe dream.
      very well said. Cannot expect Pouncey and Okung to keep playing. This is probably their last year. Pipkins was a reach. But he needs time. Tevi or Scott - they need to be OGs or on a bus out of town. TT really needs to sign one guy, draft two. And if he thinks he has improved the OL - find one more player to be sure. Like you said, there had to be a veteran out there better.

Comment

• richpjr
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Nashville
        • Send PM

It would be idiotic to cut Lamp now with one year left on his rookie deal. He still has too much upside and at the very worst, we'd have a quality backup and at best, a solid starter for us. We'd only save $747k by cutting him.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Dec 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
          It would be idiotic to cut Lamp now with one year left on his rookie deal. He still has too much upside and at the very worst, we'd have a quality backup and at best, a solid starter for us. We'd only save $747k by cutting him.
          I wouldn't cut Lamp. Tevi or Scott either. Just want to try the other two as OG or as backups. Sam Tevi cannot be the guy they think is the starting RT for the season. That cannot happen. Period.

Comment

• like54ninjas
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Oct 2017
            • Great White North
            • Draftnik
            • Send PM

My issue with these-

Why cut any player, that has contributed/logged snaps/shows ability, going into year 4 of rookie deal/last year of contract?
            This simply ruins your next year comp pick matrix and saves too little cap space to replace with a vet in most cases.
            My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
            K9
            Nasir
            Tillery
            Parham
            Reed

Comment

• Topcat
              AKA "Pollcat"
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

My issue with these-

U forgot about TT's OTHER big mistakes this past offseason:

4. Tevi would improve in pass pro...WRONG

5. Scott would be a capable backup...WRONG

6. Feeney would improve in pass pro...WRONG

Looks like TT is really on a roll here with the mistakes/assumptions...

Comment

• SDBORN
                Registered Charger Fan
                • May 2017
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

U forgot about TT's OTHER big mistakes this past offseason:

4. Tevi would improve in pass pro...WRONG

5. Scott would be a capable backup...WRONG

6. Feeney would improve in pass pro...WRONG

Looks like TT is really on a roll here with the mistakes/assumptions...
                TT plays the long game. The really really long game.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Dec 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by SDBORN View Post

TT plays the long game. The really really long game.
                  I think he needs at least 3 players that are good for the next 4-5 years. Thats one real FA - not a veteran on a one year deal like Thomas Davis. But a Mike Goff signing. Also two draft picks by Round 4.

TT has to change his philosophy for drafting OL and Lynn/Meyer might need to give better input on TYPE of player. Have a damn clue. Its why I would really prefer trading back from 6 - still get a guy like Wills or Wirfs and another draft pick for one player to draft.

Comment

• Maniaque 6
                    French Speaking Charger Fan
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Québec city
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

very well said. Cannot expect Pouncey and Okung to keep playing. This is probably their last year. Pipkins was a reach. But he needs time. Tevi or Scott - they need to be OGs or on a bus out of town. TT really needs to sign one guy, draft two. And if he thinks he has improved the OL - find one more player to be sure. Like you said, there had to be a veteran out there better.
                    Like I have read on another post, when one of Okung or Pouncey is not in the game, the Chargers are 5-6 the last 2 seasons (17-15) When the two are not there, it is 0-6 ! 17-9 when they are in.
                    If they have a last season in the tank, let them play it. If Pouncey is injured, Qberry can do the job. If Okung is injured, we are in trouble. Draft a LT.

Comment

• Boltgang74
                      We Are The Storm!
                      • Aug 2018
                      • Send PM

Was QBerry playin center when Pouncey was out for those losses?If so maybe he is decent backup material but not real "Badass" o line beef?Are we gonna settle or should we also be lookin at centers this go around?

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Dec 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Maniaque 6 View Post

Like I have read on another post, when one of Okung or Pouncey is not in the game, the Chargers are 5-6 the last 2 seasons (17-15) When the two are not there, it is 0-6 ! 17-9 when they are in.
                        If they have a last season in the tank, let them play it. If Pouncey is injured, Qberry can do the job. If Okung is injured, we are in trouble. Draft a LT.
                        Zero doubt that other than QB - LT is a top priority. Now, if they go QB in Round 1, even if they sign Rivers - OT still is a priority in Rounds 2 or 3. I don't like to box into a position - but TT cannot wait until Round 5 either. If they bring back Rivers, I like the idea of OT in Rd1 and QB in Rd 2.

But TT also needs to sign a good solid player in Free Agency. Popper mentioned Scherff. He would be excellent. But if there are other possible players, maybe explore that. You are right about Okung, the Chargers need him back. That is only two players though, FA OG and Rookie OT - Telesco still would need to get another player. And also, figure out Scott or Tevi can play OG. A lot of work. But this is the most important position on the team other than QB. Get the OL fixed, the whole team is better.

Comment

• Topcat
                          AKA "Pollcat"
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Zero doubt that other than QB - LT is a top priority. Now, if they go QB in Round 1, even if they sign Rivers - OT still is a priority in Rounds 2 or 3. I don't like to box into a position - but TT cannot wait until Round 5 either. If they bring back Rivers, I like the idea of OT in Rd1 and QB in Rd 2.

But TT also needs to sign a good solid player in Free Agency. Popper mentioned Scherff. He would be excellent. But if there are other possible players, maybe explore that. You are right about Okung, the Chargers need him back. That is only two players though, FA OG and Rookie OT - Telesco still would need to get another player. And also, figure out Scott or Tevi can play OG. A lot of work. But this is the most important position on the team other than QB. Get the OL fixed, the whole team is better.
                          the only issue with Scherff is his injury history...

Comment

Working...
                          X