• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Xenos
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

There's still hope for the Lamp:
    https://theathletic.com/1190866/2019/09/06/the-chargers-shift-to-jacoby-brissett-forrest-lamps-role-and-a-surprise-captaincy-and-tacos/
    Where will Forrest Lamp play?

Anthony Lynn revealed his starting offensive line on Monday -- Trent Scott at left tackle, Dan Feeney at left guard, Mike Pouncey at center, Michael Schofield at right guard and Sam Tevi at right tackle. The odd man out was 2017 second-round pick Forrest Lamp, who was competing at left guard.

Lynn's announcement came with a caveat. He said multiple times this week that Lamp will play Sunday at one of the five spots, implying that there will be rotation, something Lynn has done with the Chargers' line in the past.

"I know you don't like to rotate lineman," Lynn said Wednesday, "but we saw enough in Forrest where we feel very comfortable when he's in the game that we'll be OK."

My expectation is that Lamp will rotate with Feeney at left guard. It's also possible he could rotate in at right guard. The Chargers want to play Lamp inside and get him comfortable in there before testing out his versatility as a tackle, which is why I think he'll get his opportunities at one of those spots.

Comment

• richpjr
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Nashville
      • Send PM

I just don't understand this. If he is healthy and good enough to play, why are you disrupting the chemistry of the line and rotating guys? Either start him or sit him.

Comment

• Lone Bolt
        Oline-Tip of the Spear...
        • Feb 2019
        • McLean Illinois
        • Pipefitter Illinois State University
        • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

I just don't understand this. If he is healthy and good enough to play, why are you disrupting the chemistry of the line and rotating guys? Either start him or sit him.
        I see your point...but perhaps with this young line, Lynn wants to use the first 4 or 5 games to really see if someone takes a step forward with their game...remember, Lamp is way behind in reps, but maybe they think he is still one of the more talented olinemen on this roster, per his predraft evals. They may be giving him a chance to get actual regular season reps, to see if he becomes the lineman they hoped he would be when we drafted him.

I think after the first quarter of the season, the line will shake out...with our schedule, I think we can afford to not hurry anything into stone, and really see what we have in this young group.
        Adopted Bolt: Kimani Vidal RB

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• sonorajim
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

They know each other pretty well. Let 'em compete, see if anybody steps up. Being a better teammate to the guys around them is part of stepping up.

Comment

• blueman
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Last year it was We don't want to disrupt the chemistry. This year it's We will rotate at will. Gee, I guess AL really is an NFL HC.

Comment

• powderblueboy
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2017
              • Send PM

Lamp will start by mid season. The only thing they'll rotate is Schofield out of the lineup.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                Smooth Operation
                • May 2017
                • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
                Last year it was We don't want to disrupt the chemistry. This year it's We will rotate at will. Gee, I guess AL really is an NFL HC.
                Genius level gelling right there.
                We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Lone Bolt
                  Oline-Tip of the Spear...
                  • Feb 2019
                  • McLean Illinois
                  • Pipefitter Illinois State University
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
                  I would argue that rotating early in the season is about finding the right, or best, chemistry...but as the season progresses, if you are successful(as we appeared to be last year, when these questions about Lamp's role were being posed) that is when you would want to settle on a grouping that has been working well together, and stick to it.
                  Adopted Bolt: Kimani Vidal RB

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• Steve
                    Administrator
                    • Jun 2013
                    • South Carolina
                    • Meteorologist
                    • Send PM

Lamp didn't play because he was physically not ready to play until late in the year. It is a little late to start getting a few token reps late in the season when a team had no margin for error, since we were trying to win the division. Vet guys with good fundamentals and a lot of expereince to fall back on can step into the lineup with little practice and on short notice. It doesn't happen for rookie, which is what Lamp was last year. He had done flim work and the classroom installs, but that is only a small part of it.

Lamp was basically a rookie he had few practice reps, since he missed most of preseason last year. Half of an NFL team's practices for one season are over already, leading up to week 1. He was not practicing when the offense was installed, or when the fundamental work was being done. We (fans) have also seen how rusty his fundamental have been, and while they got a lot better during this preseason, he would have been working them out in a game last year. To have played Lamp last year was setting both the team and him up for a disaster. Think Ryan Leaf KC game, although hopefully without the shouting. He would have had no chemistry with the players around him, since he had never played with them, and had only token few practice reps before the season starts.

This year, Lamp has gone through the whole offseason program. He has played the whole preseason, and that is truer than most, since he got so many reps with both the 1st and 2nd string, with Feeney playing C. He has gotten work next to the other OL, so he is not an unknown quantity to them (the chemistry thing).

Comment

• powderblueboy
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jul 2017
                      • Send PM

Another thing to consider: Lamp played most of the preseason games & played hard. He played hard no doubt in scrimmages competing for a starters spot. That's already quite a bit of mileage to start the season. Start him game #1 & he'll wear out before the season's end.

He'll start by mid-season; A Lynn has a plan

Comment

• powderblueboy
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jul 2017
                        • Send PM

Is it clear to everyone that the Chargers expect Okung to return mid-season?

Comment

• Xenos
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Send PM

What Steve said.

Comment

Working...
                          X