Clear All
  • like54ninjas
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Oct 2017
    • Great White North
    • Draftnik
    • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post
    I see that the Pats picked up a couple of OL players yesterday. From the Ravens and Texans I believe
    Scrubs

My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
    K9
    Nasir
    Tillery
    Parham
    Reed

Comment

• Xenos
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post
      I see that the Pats picked up a couple of OL players yesterday. From the Ravens and Texans I believe
      They traded for scrubs according to some people on this board.

Comment

• sonorajim
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

Scrubs
        Depth that they want a closer look at.

Comment

• Xenos
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Cdn Bolt View Post

I gave you a list of 2 w Chris Clark which you seem to omit and there were many more. No proof he was worse than Scott either. Quite the opposite but I don't care to argue this again so we'll agree to disagree
          Someone brought up the raise in chippiness in this forum lately. So I apologize for adding to it. Your opinion is important, and I apologize if it seems like I have been attacking you.

With that being said, as you already know from my previous posts, I do not feel that Clark or Kalil are better than what we currently have. Obviously, that is my opinion and we can both agree to disagree.

The other reason includes what I already told Steve. UDFA are undrafted for a reason. But if developed correctly, there's always a chance especially given our history with UDFA. We don't truly know what we have with Scott yet. He may fail like so many others. But I rather take a chance on him since he's not a finished product yet compared to available OL like Chris Clark (who consequently enough was a UDFA himself) and Matt Kalil. Additionally, these FA OL cost a pretty penny despite not being that good IMO, and can hinder the internal development of our own OL. If there were actual quality OL available in FA, or through trade that didn't cost too much, then go for it. I don't mind Trent Williams, for example, if we can get him for a 4th or later. Though with a QB like Rivers, a quality guard is probably more important.

It should be noted that while I agree the trenches are important, it is easier said than done to get quality OL. Currently there are only two teams that have quality depth (Eagles and Cowboys I believe). A team like the Colts, for example, is one injury away from being in the same situation as us. Everyone is looking for depth and potential starters. New England just traded for two low round OL picks (guys picked in the 6th and 7th I believe of their respective teams) instead of going after someone in FA.

Comment

• like54ninjas
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Oct 2017
            • Great White North
            • Draftnik
            • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

Depth that they want a closer look at.
            Got it.
            My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
            K9
            Nasir
            Tillery
            Parham
            Reed

Comment

• Xenos
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2019
              • Send PM

We were talking about a rank on CBS actually. The only stat footballoutsiders uses is sack % for pass blocking rating. PFF listed pressures as a criteria and are more recognized IMO but everyone can have their opinion.
              So a couple of things:
              1) If you use footballoutsiders QB and pressure for 2018, Rivers was the 11th most pressured QB (21st ranking then). So it's a little closer to PFF.

2) The problem is that PFF's ranking isn't just pass protection. Or at least as far as I can see. Since it's an overall ranking, it should also include run blocking as part of how an OL performs. And that's the biggest disparity since footballoutsiders has us ranked 5th overall.

Comment

• Panamamike
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

They traded for scrubs according to some people on this board.
                Well, one of them is a depth piece from a historically bad line in Az.

Comment

• Fleet
                  TPB Founder
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Cardiff - Poipu
                  • Send PM

The Dante Scarnecchia effect though. Remember when we thought Joe D'Alessandris was the OL whisperer?

Comment

• powderblueboy
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jul 2017
                    • Send PM

It's apparently Scott / Feeney / Pouncey / Schofield / Tevi

with Lamp / Quessenberry/ Drango as the primary backups.

Drango might be replaced, but not many solid swing tackles found in the trash bin.

Comment

• Cdn Bolt
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Ontario , Canada
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

Someone brought up the raise in chippiness in this forum lately. So I apologize for adding to it. Your opinion is important, and I apologize if it seems like I have been attacking you.

With that being said, as you already know from my previous posts, I do not feel that Clark or Kalil are better than what we currently have. Obviously, that is my opinion and we can both agree to disagree.

The other reason includes what I already told Steve. UDFA are undrafted for a reason. But if developed correctly, there's always a chance especially given our history with UDFA. We don't truly know what we have with Scott yet. He may fail like so many others. But I rather take a chance on him since he's not a finished product yet compared to available OL like Chris Clark (who consequently enough was a UDFA himself) and Matt Kalil. Additionally, these FA OL cost a pretty penny despite not being that good IMO, and can hinder the internal development of our own OL. If there were actual quality OL available in FA, or through trade that didn't cost too much, then go for it. I don't mind Trent Williams, for example, if we can get him for a 4th or later. Though with a QB like Rivers, a quality guard is probably more important.

It should be noted that while I agree the trenches are important, it is easier said than done to get quality OL. Currently there are only two teams that have quality depth (Eagles and Cowboys I believe). A team like the Colts, for example, is one injury away from being in the same situation as us. Everyone is looking for depth and potential starters. New England just traded for two low round OL picks (guys picked in the 6th and 7th I believe of their respective teams) instead of going after someone in FA.
                      That's ok. No big deal. I value yours and all opinions too. I just seriously think we have OL concerns. Pipkins looked good tonite though. You just have to wonder sometimes as we blew $5M to bring in Tyrod Taylor - a backup QB then drafted another QB w the 5th giving us 4 in camp. Just odd. Meanwhile we really could have used a little better backup to Okung.

Maybe they had Pipkins or Lamp in mind to be a swingtackle vs Trent Scott? Very concerning though.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jul 2017
                        • Send PM

That's ok. No big deal. I value yours and all opinions too. I just seriously think we have OL concerns. Pipkins looked good tonite though. You just have to wonder sometimes as we blew $5M to bring in Tyrod Taylor - a backup QB then drafted another QB w the 5th giving us 4 in camp. Just odd. Meanwhile we really could have used a little better backup to Okung.

Maybe they had Pipkins or Lamp in mind to be a swingtackle vs Trent Scott? Very concerning though.
                        It's also odd that they would draft Pipkens a small school guy. It appears Lamp won't live up to expectations as a Charger, and he came from a small school. It was apparent from the beginning preseason game that Lamp was a backup - just based on where & when they used him. If Pouncey gets hurt, this is how we will shuffle the lineup type stuff.

So why go the small school route again? Very odd.

Comment

• blueman
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post
                          The Dante Scarnecchia effect though. Remember when we thought Joe D'Alessandris was the OL whisperer?
                          lol blast from the past.

Comment

Working...
                          X