• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Xenos
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltgang74 View Post
    So if he looks solid why in the F aint he startin?!?There has got to be more to it.Or is this coaching staff just dumb?
    Natural progression. You're assuming he can be this consistent all the time. Part of coaching is making sure that a player is in the best position to succeed. Lynn is rotating him in more and more for a reason.

Comment

• Xenos
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2019
      • Send PM

It seems that Lamp is currently better at pass protection than run blocking.

2. Forrest Lamp in the mix

Third-year offensive lineman Forrest Lamp received his first consistent playing time of 2019 against the Dolphins. Before Sunday, Lamp had been used exclusively as a sixth offensive linemen in jumbo packages. But in the victory, he played an entire series at left guard in the second quarter, replacing Dan Feeney while the game was very much still in the balance.

Lamp told me after the game that the coaches had planned for him to play one or two series in Miami. He was aware of this heading into the contest.

"I did not want him standing beside me in Year 3," Lynn said of Lamp after the game. "So he's going to go out there and play."

Lamp played 17 snaps. Eight came at left guard on that drive in the second quarter, which ended with Austin Ekeler's 18-yard touchdown catch. He played one more at left guard during the Chargers' second drive of the fourth quarter. He also checked into the game as a sixth offensive linemen twice in that series. And he played the final six snaps of the game at left tackle, when the Chargers also brought in Trey Pipkins at right tackle and Scott Quessenberry at center.

The drive that mattered most for Lamp was in the second quarter. The game was tied 10-10. These were very meaningful snaps and are very telling in terms of how much Lynn and the rest of the Chargers' coaching staff trust Lamp at this stage in his career.

Looking at the tape, Lamp was more successful in pass protection than in run blocking.

Ekleler did a nice job here of breaking a tackle to avoid a a loss and turn it into an 8-yard gain. The Chargers were trying to run behind Lamp.

Ekeler ran behind Lamp on the next play and was swallowed up.

After the two-minute warning, the Chargers started passing to move the ball. This check-down to Ekeler went for 13 yards. And Lamp stood up Dolphins defensive tackle Davon Godchaux.

The Chargers' line, Lamp included, created a clean pocket for Rivers on this third-and-9 completion to Andre Patton, the first catch of his career.

On the next play, Lamp dealt with Avery Moss on the interior and opened up space for Rivers to step up. He found Ekeler near the sideline, and the Chargers took the lead when the running back broke a tackle and barreled into the end zone.

"It felt good," Lamp said. "It's exciting to be out there."

Lynn was adamant that Lamp's playing time had nothing to do with Feeney's performance. Nonetheless, he hopes to continue giving Lamp meaningful snaps.

"You don't want to disrupt the chemistry up front, but I don't think Forrest is going to disrupt that chemistry," Lynn said. "He's been here for three years. He hasn't been in games, but he's been in the meeting rooms, he understands communication, and I trust the young man."

Comment

• blueman
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Is the thinking they'd rather have Feeney fucking up sometimes instead of Lamp? Really? Last time I checked I watch football on Sundays, not a goddamn daycare.

Comment

• powderblueboy
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jul 2017
          • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
          Is the thinking they'd rather have Feeney fucking up sometimes instead of Lamp? Really? Last time I checked I watch football on Sundays, not a goddamn daycare.
          Its all about chemistry and the continuation of that smooth juggernaut that is the LA Charger Oline.

Comment

• UglyTruth
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Oct 2018
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

Natural progression. You're assuming he can be this consistent all the time. Part of coaching is making sure that a player is in the best position to succeed. Lynn is rotating him in more and more for a reason.
            Are you saying that others on the Chargers O line like Scott, Tevi, and Feeney are consistent all the time?

Obviously not so then why is Lamp held to a ridiculous higher standard than them when he's already shown he's ten times better than them?

Nobody here is saying that Lynn should start Lamp over some pro bowl O linemen that the Chargers have. We're all saying that Lamp should start over one of the worthless fucks on the O line which is basically all of them except Pouncey.
            Tom Telesco’s Results in 9 years as Chargers GM:

- 69-74 record
            - 0 division titles in 9 yrs as GM
            - Worst record among all active GMs with same tenure
            - 6th worst winning percentage among all active GMs overall
            - 2 playoff wins despite elite QB all 9 yrs
            - Team still has the same weaknesses (Oline and run defense) that it had when hired as GM in 2013
            - Consistently puts together horrible depth, expects starters to never miss games

Comment

• Steve
              Administrator
              • Jun 2013
              • South Carolina
              • Meteorologist
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post
              He is OK on this play, but if the edge rusher had actually tried anything, he is bending at the waist too much, with too wide a base. If the edge rusher had gotten upfield farther, then countered back inside, Lamp would have had a hard time countering the move.

Letting Lamp play is OK to a point, but OL have to rely on their technique and his just isn't (completely) there yet. He needs to work on it and get better, then he will be a great player. He is OK, but still have moments that his technique is suspect, and it was that way all through TC. Feeney and the others make mistake too, but they are ahead in terms of technique, which is why they are playing and Lamp isn't.

Comment

• Xenos
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Feb 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by UglyTruth View Post

Are you saying that others on the Chargers O line like Scott, Tevi, and Feeney are consistent all the time?

Obviously not so then why is Lamp held to a ridiculous higher standard than them when he's already shown he's ten times better than them?

Nobody here is saying that Lynn should start Lamp over some pro bowl O linemen that the Chargers have. We're all saying that Lamp should start over one of the worthless fucks on the O line which is basically all of them except Pouncey.
                Basically what Steve said.

Comment

• Fleet
                  TPB Founder
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Cardiff - Poipu
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

He is OK on this play, but if the edge rusher had actually tried anything, he is bending at the waist too much, with too wide a base. If the edge rusher had gotten upfield farther, then countered back inside, Lamp would have had a hard time countering the move.

Letting Lamp play is OK to a point, but OL have to rely on their technique and his just isn't (completely) there yet. He needs to work on it and get better, then he will be a great player. He is OK, but still have moments that his technique is suspect, and it was that way all through TC. Feeney and the others make mistake too, but they are ahead in terms of technique, which is why they are playing and Lamp isn't.
                  Didnt notice. Too busy watching Pipkins on roller skates? I think thats him? lol

Comment

• Fleet
                    TPB Founder
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Cardiff - Poipu
                    • Send PM

Comment

• Protect17
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Sep 2019
                      • Send PM

Ok so here's the facts as I see any Oline that may be good at one thing and not so much the other ...Work your damn plays to fit your damn team period ....do not shoe horn an elephants foot in a pair of Vans ...My God I'm tired of the lazy coaching through out football .

Comment

• Fleet
                        TPB Founder
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Cardiff - Poipu
                        • Send PM

I think we will end up running the ball more with Gordon back. Heavy MG and Ekeler. Ekeler may go back to his complimentary role but we could easily go run heavy and increase the load with Gordon and Ekeler both getting 12-15 carries a game. Bleed the clock. Long methodical drives with power running. Slow it down. Keep teams focused on stopping our 2 headed monster and reduce Rivers attempts. Hes more efficient when we have a dominant run game. I guess thats easy to do looking back at his efficiency numbers with LT as the lead back. Really need the D to benefit from our ability to sustain drives and eat clock. The great thing is that Rivers is one of the best at finding the mismatch when teams are so focused on our rush attack. I really think Gordon will help us beat defenses up.

Comment

• Boltgang74
                          We Are The Storm!
                          • Aug 2018
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post
                          Yeah these coaches just seem so damn rigid sometimes.Put Lamp in let em grow with the rest of the o line.It's already ugly what's a few more growing pains.

Comment

Working...
                          X