• Show
Clear All
  • richpjr
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Nashville
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Cdn Bolt View Post

That is why they should have drafted an OT w either the 1st or 2nd. Do we need Nasir Adderley or Jerry Tillery more than we need and OT? No

They could have traded too like HOU or added Donald Penn in FA like WAS on July 31 (after they knew Okung was hurt) who is serviceable.
    If Okung was healthy than you could make a strong argument about the need to upgrade the tackle and safety positions.

Comment

• Midwestbolt
      • Feb 2019
      • Midwest
      • Local 150 operating engineer.
      • Send PM

next week should shed some light on the Okung situation.

IIRC, a player who's on the non-football injury/reserve list cannot return before week 7.

This should be the time we should hear definitive news on his imminent return. (or perhaps imminent retirement)

Personally, I gotta think no news is good news....

Comment

• Cdn Bolt
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jan 2019
        • Ontario , Canada
        • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

If Okung was healthy than you could make a strong argument about the need to upgrade the tackle and safety positions.
        Russel Okung is 31 so there already was a strong argument for his replacement. There is also a strong argument to replace Same Tevi too. At the least a young LT could play RT until he could push for the LT spot or untl Okung retired like other teams do.

S was a nice to have btw but Naderly wasn't going to start over Rayshawn Jenkins. OT was a need
        Last edited by Cdn Bolt; 10-14-2019, 01:48 PM.

Comment

• richpjr
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Nashville
          • Send PM

Russel Okung is 31 so there already was a strong argument for his replacement. There is also a strong argument to replace Same Tevi too. At the least a young LT could play RT until he could push for the LT spot or untl Okung retired like other teams do.

S was a nice to have btw but Naderly wasn't going to start over Rayshawn Jenkins. OT was a need
          I believe the plan was for Pipkin, who we all know was a project, to be groomed to be Okungs replacement. Tevi is the head scratcher to me as, for some unknown reason, the coaching staff is much higher on than any of us are.

I think if healthy in camp, Adderly would have pushed Jenkins hard for the starting job. He would have had to earn it, but I think he would have.

Comment

• Cdn Bolt
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jan 2019
            • Ontario , Canada
            • Send PM

I believe the plan was for Pipkin, who we all know was a project, to be groomed to be Okungs replacement. Tevi is the head scratcher to me as, for some unknown reason, the coaching staff is much higher on than any of us are.

I think if healthy in camp, Adderly would have pushed Jenkins hard for the starting job. He would have had to earn it, but I think he would have.
            Yes but it just shows their lackluster approach again. We have needs now. A 3 yr project like Pipkins is of no good to us now.

If you were really serious you may have even traded up to get a good LT or at the least gotten a 1st rnd level talent. As far as Adderley, you just have to look at the mess again we are in now to see that a starting OT would have been better than a starting S if he were ready anyway too.

Comment

• blueman
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

It really doesn’t seem to matter who we draft, at any position, outside of round one. Lynn’s approach is, as injuries happen, play whoever we have; then after a few games decide via some football witchery unknown to mortals that the replacement guy(s) are “elite” or that he doesn’t want to mess with a unit’s “chemistry.” This is recognizable as bad coaching, straight up, and only works when those injury replacements actually have some talent. Playing guys out of position is also bad coaching, why draft the guy in the first place?

Others have said it, seems a rift between TT and Lynn. Or maybe (also?) Lynn and his coordinators. Heads should roll.

Comment

• Formula 21
                The Future is Now
                • Jun 2013
                • Republic of San Diego
                • Send PM

And that's how it's done.

Short-handed 49ers offensive line holds its own in big win over Rams

By Jennifer Lee Chan October 14, 2019 10:15 AM
                Leave a comment

LOS ANGELES — The biggest question before the 49ers' 20-7 victory over the Rams on Sunday was how San Francisco would compensate for the loss of offensive tackles Joe Staley and Mike McGlinchey, plus fullback Kyle Juszczyk.
                It turns out that wasn’t a determining factor in Los Angeles.
                The 49ers' run game was held to 99 yards, but the offense didn’t get shut down by the Rams' defense. Backup offensive tackles Daniel Brunskill and Justin Skule held their own on the offensive line without much previous experience on the field.
                After the game, center Weston Richburg beamed like a proud older brother when he spoke to NBC Sports Bay area about his young counterparts on the offensive line. To Richburg, inserting Brunskill and Skill has been seamless.
                “They’ve stepped in and done a great job,” Richburg said. “We’ve had a really had a great transition going from having both our starters to these guys. We really don’t know the difference.”
                Stepping in for Staley, a 13-year veteran, and first-round draft pick McGlinchey, is no small task. Richburg was empathetic for the two inexperienced players, especially with so much on the line in a divisional game.
                “Yeah, I’m nervous too,” Richburg said. “It’s a natural thing, but they did a great job settling in and taking care of business.”
                The offensive line did get an assist from the tight ends who stepped into Juszczyk’s role and added support along the line. George Kittle, Ross Dwelley and Levine Toilolo all took turns at fullback, blocking and trying to create space for the running backs.
                “All of them,” Richburg said. “Levine was in a lot. He made some big contributions and a really big third down conversion. That’s our team. We have guys who can step in and do a good job,”
                Helping the players adjust and compensate for the new pieces on the offense also fell on the shoulders of coach Kyle Shanahan and his ofensive scheme. Even though the run game was slowed down a bit, the offense still racked up 22 first downs and 331 total yards on 76 offensive plays.
                “I’m very proud of those guys,” Shanahan said. “It’s tough. There is a lot of different factors that go in. You always kind of change things up when you’re missing tackles, when you’re missing two, changes with the fullback. Dwelley did an awesome job with playing fullback most of the day.

"We gave Kittle a couple. Also, the receivers going in and out.”
                Richburg isn’t surprised that the offensive line performed well even with the pressure of it being such a big game. The support from the coaches and the veterans has been invaluable.
                “I think it’s the room,” Richburg said. “It starts from John Benton, to our assistant and then from the older guys. It’s the culture. It starts with Joe [Staley] really. We’ve set a culture in the room and it’s not like we have to follow a set of rules, it’s just understood how we are expected to play and contribute.
                "The guys understand it and they’ve done a good job.”
                Brunskill himself described his 49ers debut as surreal. Facing the likes of Rams All-Pro pass rusher Aaron Donald is a big challenge, and the support Brunskill got from his teammates was key to his ability to acclimate.
                [RELATED: Why Shanahan doesn't blame Jimmy G for INT in 49ers' win]
                “I got chills going out, so that was awesome,” Brunskill said. “Definitely nerve racking going out right off the bat. Luckily, we have a great defense and a great group of guys which kind of helped calm that.
                “I give it to the scout team. They gave us great looks in practice this week. They were balling. I don’t think I would have been able to get ready like this if it wasn’t for Kevin Givens, who did his best to impersonate Aaron Donald.”
                The 49ers will continue to adjust and compensate for several weeks hoping to at least get Staley back before their Monday night matchup facing Seattle in early November.
                Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                The Wasted Decade is done.
                Build Back Better.

Comment

• jamrock
                  lawyers, guns and money
                  • Sep 2017
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
                  And that's how it's done.
                  I hate to keep saying it but its all about coaching. Coaching, coaching, coaching. Especially on the OL. These aren't skill players folks.

Comment

• SDBORN
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • May 2017
                    • Send PM

Yes but it just shows their lackluster approach again. We have needs now. A 3 yr project like Pipkins is of no good to us now.

If you were really serious you may have even traded up to get a good LT or at the least gotten a 1st rnd level talent. As far as Adderley, you just have to look at the mess again we are in now to see that a starting OT would have been better than a starting S if he were ready anyway too.
                    Does it seem like they're serious about winning now? That question has been in my mind for years.I get it, you don't want to sacrifice the future, but at the same time when close enough, at a certain point you gotta go all in and take some risks before your franchise qb retires.

Once he retires lots of cap space is cleared either way.

We were 12-4 last year. This should have been the offseason for some rental moves to try and put us over the top at key positions.

Instead we got one of the worst offseasons TT has ever brought forth and we are sitting at 2-4 now with a QB who looks as down as I've ever seen him.

Some moves need to be made on the oline - if anything out of respect for Rivers at the very least.
                    ​​​​​​

Comment

• like54ninjas
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Oct 2017
                      • Great White North
                      • Draftnik
                      • Send PM

Rivers could retire after this season - who knows. But there is zero chance he is traded.
                      After this season Philip is a FA. He can sign anywhere he wants.
                      My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
                      K9
                      Nasir
                      Tillery
                      Parham
                      Reed

Comment

• powderblueboy
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jul 2017
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

I hate to keep saying it but its all about coaching. Coaching, coaching, coaching. Especially on the OL. These aren't skill players folks.
                        Yeah, something is really wrong there. However, its all so young: Feeney, Lamp, Tevi, Scott, Pipkens - Jesus Christ. They have no veteran depth in the Oline & it has killed them.
                        Blame Telesco & Lynn, although the Oline coach is not distinguishing himself. I was always a bit concerned about how he was a strength & conditioning coach for a long time.

Comment

• SDBORN
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • May 2017
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

After this season Philip is a FA. He can sign anywhere he wants.
                          True but I don't seem him going anywhere. He wants to be close to his family and I doubt he relocates them out of SD area.

Comment

Working...
                          X