• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wu-dai clan
    Smooth Operation
    • May 2017
    • Send PM

Let me explain this to all those with trench rot.

Russell Okung will decide whether or not he will play,
    and the Chargers will then draft accordingly.

Our big board will reflect whether a player projects being capable of playing OLT, or they are a right side only prospect.

There will be significance on this @ 2020 NFL Draft.
    We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Boltgang74
      We Are The Storm!
      • Aug 2018
      • Send PM

Even if he decides he still wants to play TT better be smart enough this time around to prepare for the eventual groin injury or whatever it may be with Okung next season.

Comment

• Boltjolt
        Dont let the PBs fool ya
        • Jun 2013
        • Henderson, NV
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltgang74 View Post
        Even if he decides he still wants to play TT better be smart enough this time around to prepare for the eventual groin injury or whatever it may be with Okung next season.
        Not counting this season, Okung had only missed 2 games the past three seasons.

Comment

• Boltgang74
          We Are The Storm!
          • Aug 2018
          • Send PM

Prepare for the worst and the best will always happen.

Comment

• RobH
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Tokyo, Japan
            • University English Lecturer
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltgang74 View Post
            I think people are short changing Pipkin a bit. For a rookie who was drafted as a project, I think he showed well enough to justify his pick. He'll have about 8 months to continue to get bigger and stronger and work on his technique and film study. Okung has been very good about showing him the ropes, and I hope it will continue throughout the offseason, depending on how much they can get together. If Okung misses a few games next year, I think Pipkin will be in a much better position to step in. He'll still show some rough edges, to be sure, but I really like his movement skills and his willingness to listen and learn. I'd rather we concentrate on a right tackle and interior OL. Tevi has athleticism, and needs to develop his technique a lot more. He's also still very raw, but he could turn into a very good backup tackle or even guard. I'm not throwing away two years of experience and working with him just because he's had a hard time this year. Let him compete for a job.

I also look forward to Lamp having an injury-free year next year. I mean, how often can these freak injuries keep happening? I'm not much of a fan of Feeney, but I think the coaches may still want to give him another year to grow, but he also has to compete for the job.

Get Rivers a decent line and watch his INTs go back down to normal, and these over emotional posters who think Rivers is washed up are overstating their cases and not looking at the whole situation.

As far as Lynn and TT, this next year will tell if they survive in the organization. They just came off a 12-4 season with a playoff win. This year was the perfect wave. Let's see if the wave continues or things get better.

Gordon can go, IMO. I like our other backs, and I think we can get a nice mid-round back who can contribute fairly soon as long as he's smart enough to learn pass protection.

Comment

• Boltnut
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

Feeney and Tevi are better fits as matadors.

I project Pipkins to continue to be a back-up.

Lamp will be injured again, plus he is un-proven, spending most of his career in an ice bath.

With protecting the QB a big factor, why do so many committ to Okung, Pouncey, and Lamp... even though collectively they've only started 13 out of 42 possible games this year.

Stick to tacos.
              Fixed it for ya... I do love tacos!

Comment

• Boltgang74
                We Are The Storm!
                • Aug 2018
                • Send PM

I wonder if TT whiffs on O line again this next season will he just pull the well Its because "Rivers is losing it,ain't mobile enough" line to keep his job.Just a thought.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                  Smooth Operation
                  • May 2017
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

Fixed it for ya... I do love tacos!
                  Do you disagree with AJ Smith ?
                  Should teams overinvest in Oline
                  to the detriment of other positions ?
                  An entirely new Oline would not be ready
                  soon enough for Rivers.

BTW, the guy who did overinvest in Oline,
                  Tom Coughlin, was just fired.
                  Cam Robinson-Andrew Norwell-Brandon Linder-AJ Cann-Jamaal Taylor + Will Richardson. All of whom you touted. And they even have Leonard Fournette. The results are underwhelming.

Gel with Tyrod...

We do not play modern football.

Comment

• La Costa Boy
                    Pretty much retired......
                    • Sep 2018
                    • JoJa
                    • Bloviator of hot air and rhetoric.
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by RobH View Post

I think people are short changing Pipkin a bit. For a rookie who was drafted as a project, I think he showed well enough to justify his pick. He'll have about 8 months to continue to get bigger and stronger and work on his technique and film study. Okung has been very good about showing him the ropes, and I hope it will continue throughout the offseason, depending on how much they can get together. If Okung misses a few games next year, I think Pipkin will be in a much better position to step in. He'll still show some rough edges, to be sure, but I really like his movement skills and his willingness to listen and learn. I'd rather we concentrate on a right tackle and interior OL. Tevi has athleticism, and needs to develop his technique a lot more. He's also still very raw, but he could turn into a very good backup tackle or even guard. I'm not throwing away two years of experience and working with him just because he's had a hard time this year. Let him compete for a job.

I also look forward to Lamp having an injury-free year next year. I mean, how often can these freak injuries keep happening? I'm not much of a fan of Feeney, but I think the coaches may still want to give him another year to grow, but he also has to compete for the job.

Get Rivers a decent line and watch his INTs go back down to normal, and these over emotional posters who think Rivers is washed up are overstating their cases and not looking at the whole situation.

As far as Lynn and TT, this next year will tell if they survive in the organization. They just came off a 12-4 season with a playoff win. This year was the perfect wave. Let's see if the wave continues or things get better.

Gordon can go, IMO. I like our other backs, and I think we can get a nice mid-round back who can contribute fairly soon as long as he's smart enough to learn pass protection.

I as a life long Chargers fan, got a great laugh out of this one. For some reason I keep hearing Buzz LightYear "To infinity and BEYOND!!!"

Comment

• OhioBolt
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

All I know it is too many ifs on the O-line for them not to draft a TOP Ranked OL and sign a TOP FA Tackle. Injuries are a part of a season but previous track records can't be ignore

Okung- Is probably the least of our worries
                      Tevi- Has not improved and next year is year 4
                      Scott-Udrafted FA best suited as a backup at best
                      Pipkins-Showed flashes, but is he ready to make the jump
                      Schofield- any other team he would be a backup
                      Feeney- Is a guy that hasn't progressed
                      Lamp- Potential & Talent unable to display because injury proned
                      Pouncey- Talented, but neck & back injuries is not a good thing for a guy in the trenches and he hasn't played a full season since we signed him
                      Quessenberry-has surprised and hasn't been a liability and is looking like he can be a starter.

Okung 31 is solid when in and Quessenbery has stepped in and been solid, outside of Pouncey and Lamp if healthy you would be okay in the starting lineup. The wildcard is Pipkins the reset of these guys are replaceable.

Comment

• richpjr
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Nashville
                        • Send PM

A stat about Rivers and Okung from an article on ESPN:

The Chargers have one of the worst tackle situations in football when Russell Okung has been out, and Rivers has been a different quarterback with his left tackle on the field. Just under 25% of his dropbacks have come with Okung on the field this season, but he has averaged nearly 10 yards per attempt and posted a passer rating of 104.2 in those plays. Without Okung, he falls to 7.4 yards per attempt and a passer rating of 84.3.

Comment

• like54ninjas
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Oct 2017
                          • Great White North
                          • Draftnik
                          • Send PM

Top 2020 FA OTs.....

Not a ton of options and all going to get $14+ million yearly.

Anthony Castonzo
                          NFL and PFF player stats for Indianapolis Colts T Anthony Castonzo on Pro Football Focus.

Bryan Bulaga
                          NFL and PFF player stats for Los Angeles Chargers T Bryan Bulaga on Pro Football Focus.

Jack Conklin
                          NFL and PFF player stats for Cleveland Browns T Jack Conklin on Pro Football Focus.

My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
                          K9
                          Nasir
                          Tillery
                          Parham
                          Reed

Comment

Working...
                          X