• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • powderblueboy
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jul 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

bringing in mobility to the QB position IS a proposed solution, or part of the solution.
    just not a solution some are willing to consider.
    moving on more rapidly and systematically from under achieving prospects at the cost of a coach’s ego is another part.
    Looking at ways to evolve the offense are other ways to look at solutions.
    Seattle thought they could get away with bad tackles under Wilson. It didn't work. They went out and gave up a #1 for Duanne Brown.

Comment

• 21&500
      Bolt Spit-Baller
      • Sep 2018
      • A Whale's Vajayjay
      • CMB refugee
      • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

Seattle thought they could get away with bad tackles under Wilson. It didn't work. They went out and gave up a #1 for Duanne Brown.
      And if a similar opportunity presents itself we should definitely consider it.
      I’m not saying we can get away with bad players at OT simply by interesting a mobile QB, it’s just a piece of the puzzle.
      Rivers is extremely immobile by today’s standards and that’s not a coincidence, mobile qbs are better able to adjust to the “Oline crisis” in the NFL. At least, thats what it looks like.

Chargers vs. Everyone

Comment

• Topcat
        AKA "Pollcat"
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

SO where do you propose getting 8+ new players on OL, when every team in the league is also looking for the same players in a shrinking market?????

Sticking with the same old retreads is not so much being confident in being able to fix them, although many are still young enough that they could at least theoretically be fixed.

Sticking with the same guys is more about realizing that it is IMPOSSIBLE to get enough reasonable players to rebuild the entire OL in one season.

There is als the issue that it is not our only area of need. But we don't have enough draft capital and FA to fix the OL let alone address ANY other positions, if we go all out for OL this offseason.

This post reaks of a hurting Charger fan who wants the OL to hurt as much as he does, no matter how stupid the suggested path forward in the post is.
        Hopefully Okung and Pouncey are back. If Pouncey has any health issues, Q-berry looks to be capable. Lamp looked solid before he got hurt. Scho is not elite, but he's only allowed .5 sacks all year, so he's not terrible. So this leaves the RT spot. Scott needs to go. Tevi can be kept for depth. Need to draft one OT to replace Tevi, and one OG to compete with Lamp and Scho and/or for quality depth. I would also favor signing a FA OT for depth in case Okung retires or gets hurt. No need to blow it all up, and as Steve said, we just can't find quality replacements for all those spots, but we DO need to make some significant changes as I just outlined.

Comment

• RobH
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Tokyo, Japan
          • University English Lecturer
          • Send PM

I’d like to see them move Tevi to RG. He’s considered to be a very good run blocker and he doesn’t need to worry about a fast DE running around him. I’d like to see Lamp get some luck and play the whole season at left guard. I don’t see any reason why Okung can’t come back and be in football shape and continue to be a very good LT.

RT would still have to be addressed, and Pipkin has shown enough to give him a legit shot at RT. We should also be able to find a good RT in the draft, but he doesn’t have to be a first rounder.

I also think that the OL coach is way over his head and an old vet OL coach should be hired if there’s one out there. I should think Lynn would have some thoughts on that.

I don’t think replacing everyone is the answer, but one or two draft picks, and a reasonably priced vet FA for competition would make a big difference.

Comment

• alex8080
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Mar 2019
            • Send PM

final question: will qberry be our c of the future or just serviceable now?

Comment

• Topcat
              AKA "Pollcat"
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by RobH View Post
              I’d like to see them move Tevi to RG. He’s considered to be a very good run blocker and he doesn’t need to worry about a fast DE running around him. I’d like to see Lamp get some luck and play the whole season at left guard. I don’t see any reason why Okung can’t come back and be in football shape and continue to be a very good LT.

RT would still have to be addressed, and Pipkin has shown enough to give him a legit shot at RT. We should also be able to find a good RT in the draft, but he doesn’t have to be a first rounder.

I also think that the OL coach is way over his head and an old vet OL coach should be hired if there’s one out there. I should think Lynn would have some thoughts on that.

I don’t think replacing everyone is the answer, but one or two draft picks, and a reasonably priced vet FA for competition would make a big difference.
              I like that idea of kicking Tevi inside and turning him into a pulling guard...but cut Scott and draft an OT to duke it out with Pip in TC...

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                Day Tripper
                • May 2019
                • North of the Lagoon
                • Send PM

Originally posted by RobH View Post

So your OL Improvement plan, similar To Topcat above you is replay the 2019 plan again in 2020, adding just one RT?
                “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Boltgang74
                  We Are The Storm!
                  • Aug 2018
                  • Send PM

Two O linemen in the draft and two in F.A. please.

Comment

• Midwestbolt
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Midwest
                    • Local 150 operating engineer.
                    • Send PM

To many things to address than spend a ton on capital on OLine. One pick in the first 3 rounds, one solid FA signing. Maybe a project late in the draft?

Main concerns are Okung, who I suspect plays. He wouldn't have come back if he didn't plan on continuing.

The other is getting rid of Schofield and who takes over. He gone.

Pipkins, Tevi, Feeney, compete - but probably depth, or moved to depth, when new draft pick is up to speed.

Comment

• richpjr
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Nashville
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Midwestbolt View Post
                      To many things to address than spend a ton on capital on OLine. One pick in the first 3 rounds, one solid FA signing. Maybe a project late in the draft?

Main concerns are Okung, who I suspect plays. He wouldn't have come back if he didn't plan on continuing.

The other is getting rid of Schofield and who takes over. He gone.

Pipkins, Tevi, Feeney, compete - but probably depth, or moved to depth, when new draft pick is up to speed.
                      There was a recent article on Okung and his health scare where he said it was important for him mentally to come back this year, but he has not even thought about whether or not he will want to continue playing past this season or to spend the time with his family. I would not say his return is a given at all.

No idea what to think of Pouncey’s return since they never really said what exactly his neck injury was or if it was realistic for him to return.

Comment

• Boltgang74
                        We Are The Storm!
                        • Aug 2018
                        • Send PM

Yeah we need to go big on offense this draft like TT did defense last draft.Thats where the most glaring holes need to be addressed.Even though I still wouldn't be mad if we grabbed Brown with our first pick,just sayin...

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                          Day Tripper
                          • May 2019
                          • North of the Lagoon
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltgang74 View Post
                          Yeah we need to go big on offense this draft like TT did defense last draft.Thats where the most glaring holes need to be addressed.Even though I still wouldn't be mad if we grabbed Brown with our first pick,just sayin...
                          so far a bit of a whiff on his D picks. Tranq is a gun - i like him. I think Adderly will become a great centerfielding FS - if he shakes the injury bug. Tillery is tbd - not unusual for an interior DT to take a year+ to excel in the NFL but we have to wait to see if he's the deal or not.

Offense needs OL, speed WR, another TE? RB though I think you can (and should) find RBs without using a high pick. The difference in RB by round doesnt equate to team performance if OL isn't any good.

oh, we need a QB too
                          “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

Working...
                          X