• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Caslon
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Apr 2019
    • Send PM

^
    I guess the Chargers will get a mobile QB if they can. Taylor is mobile, that's about all.

Comment

• Topcat
      AKA "Pollcat"
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post
      our offensive line is just that = offensive. I do not get the valiant salvage projects contemplated. maybe there was hope in Week 1, we're now in Week 16 and the improvement is not there. they can't rush block, they can't pass block. I'm no expert but i've seen enough. blow it up.

Tevi - confirmed inadequate
      Scott - confirmed inadequate
      Feeney - confirmed inadequate
      Lamp - wtf have we ever seen in Lamp? unreliable and inadequate
      Scho - confirmed inadequate
      Okung - on his last gasp, unreliable
      Pouncey - on his last gasp, unreliable
      Pipkins - so far inadequate, long term project for exactly how long?

what else have we got here?
      we're now pining for Drango. that sums it up, fellas.

I also agree OL coaching = confirmed inadequate. blow that up too.
      Not that I like Django that much...just that he would have been s slight upgrade over Scott...

Comment

• Topcat
        AKA "Pollcat"
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

our offensive line is just that = offensive. I do not get the valiant salvage projects contemplated. maybe there was hope in Week 1, we're now in Week 16 and the improvement is not there. they can't rush block, they can't pass block. I'm no expert but i've seen enough. blow it up.

Scho - confirmed inadequate, but better than Feeney--Keep Scho for depth
        Okung - on his last gasp, unreliable--solid when healthy, but agree, health and retirement a question mark
        Pouncey - on his last gasp, unreliable--okay when healthy

There...fixed it for 'ya!

Comment

• Steve
          Administrator
          • Jun 2013
          • South Carolina
          • Meteorologist
          • Send PM

Scho - confirmed inadequate
          Okung - on his last gasp, unreliable
          Pouncey - on his last gasp, unreliable

SO where do you propose getting 8+ new players on OL, when every team in the league is also looking for the same players in a shrinking market?????

Sticking with the same old retreads is not so much being confident in being able to fix them, although many are still young enough that they could at least theoretically be fixed.

Sticking with the same guys is more about realizing that it is IMPOSSIBLE to get enough reasonable players to rebuild the entire OL in one season.

There is als the issue that it is not our only area of need. But we don't have enough draft capital and FA to fix the OL let alone address ANY other positions, if we go all out for OL this offseason.

This post reaks of a hurting Charger fan who wants the OL to hurt as much as he does, no matter how stupid the suggested path forward in the post is.

Comment

• Boltgang74
            We Are The Storm!
            • Aug 2018
            • Send PM

So follow the path good teams with good o lines have done.Nobody expects an o line that flat out sucks from multiple seasons of poor GM drafting and free agency will be fixed in one season,especially by the genius that had a big part in creating the mess in the first place.But going with the same old thing cannot be an option for a team that wants to start winning games again.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
              Smooth Operation
              • May 2017
              • Send PM

I agree with Steve.
              We need to be smart about how we address the Oline issue.

TPB is encouraged to look at prospects, UFAs, scheme fit, cap aspects, consideration of takes that have thus far been rejected, everything.

It is interesting how many stick to PFF grades, and ignore other analytics that don't agree with PFF.

Everyone is seeing the same shit, generally, as far as performance goes.

We all become better informed through research.
              We do not play modern football.

Comment

• PR#1
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Aug 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

SO where do you propose getting 8+ new players on OL, when every team in the league is also looking for the same players in a shrinking market?????

Sticking with the same old retreads is not so much being confident in being able to fix them, although many are still young enough that they could at least theoretically be fixed.

Sticking with the same guys is more about realizing that it is IMPOSSIBLE to get enough reasonable players to rebuild the entire OL in one season.

There is als the issue that it is not our only area of need. But we don't have enough draft capital and FA to fix the OL let alone address ANY other positions, if we go all out for OL this offseason.

This post reaks of a hurting Charger fan who wants the OL to hurt as much as he does, no matter how stupid the suggested path forward in the post is.
                Thats a good point Steve. When I read the posts on this board I sense alot of pain. And sometimes as human beings, when we feel pain, our first instinct is to lash out at the things that cause us pain.

That includes Spanos, Lynn, Rivers, Gus, the Oline, Gordon, you name it.

I see alot of lashing out going on, but not much in the way of proposed solutions.

If we decide to move on from Rivers, I'm afraid its going to get much worse before it gets better. In fact I predict that to be the next HC's opening speech.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jul 2017
                  • Send PM

In most cases if the player is feeling more confident about their skills, they are probably not going to jump. Scott is struggling with his technique against a player who is not (bringing his a game on every snap), so he times it as close as he can in order to get an edge, and sometimes he jumps. If his technique was better, you don't really see a lot of these problems.

The truely undisciplined guys who jump at every snap have been weeded out long before they get to the NFL.

Scott, or whoever plays OT have to get better technique, plain and simple. The problem is that the NFL is not designed to be a developmental league. NFL teams weekly practices in season are all about getting ready for the game, not about developing technique. We keep getting trapped in the same issue that we keep throwing raw (inexperienced) or sloppy (vets) into action without taking the time to develop technique, and it keeps coming back to bite us. And this is a problem about half the league has. We need to be the ones who find the solution.
                  Thuney & Mason started right away for New England and they seem okay.

If the Chargers had drafted Joe Thuney & Shaq Mason, they would have switched Mason to the left side and Thuney to the right.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jul 2017
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
                    I agree with Steve.
                    We need to be smart about how we address the Oline issue.

TPB is encouraged to look at prospects, UFAs, scheme fit, cap aspects, consideration of takes that have thus far been rejected, everything.

It is interesting how many stick to PFF grades, and ignore other analytics that don't agree with PFF.

Everyone is seeing the same shit, generally, as far as performance goes.

We all become better informed through research.

If Quessenberry is to be your starting center, for Gods sake get a solid heady veteran next to him.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jul 2017
                      • Send PM

Its a long list of errors telesco has made trying to fit players into new positions.

Only Okung & Pouncey have played well as of late. Of course, they had no role in developing them.

Perhaps they should have shifted Okung to RT and Pouncey to guard

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                        Day Tripper
                        • May 2019
                        • North of the Lagoon
                        • Send PM

lol, some interesting psycho analyses at work, i welcome your help

- I have no idea how to completely rebuild an OL that is deficient from end to end.
                        - I'm not hurting at all. i'm fine. appreciate your kind concern. I don't recommend personnel moves based on my internal status.
                        - We rolled into 2019 with the plan that at least a couple of those young scrubs would develop into pro linemen, Okung and Pouncey would contribute vet savvy and skill to stabilize it all, and Lamp would finally be that guy we waited 3 yrs for him to be. None of that worked out, not one single bit of it. Teams are stuffing their rush attack and blowing up the pass pocket with only 4 rushers.

I find the idea of trying that same plan again in 2020 to be a very stupid plan. So yeah, the opposite of that dumb ass plan is ... blow it up. continuity has no value if they continue with failure.
                        “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• 21&500
                          Bolt Spit-Baller
                          • Sep 2018
                          • A Whale's Vajayjay
                          • CMB refugee
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by PR#1 View Post

Thats a good point Steve. When I read the posts on this board I sense alot of pain. And sometimes as human beings, when we feel pain, our first instinct is to lash out at the things that cause us pain.

That includes Spanos, Lynn, Rivers, Gus, the Oline, Gordon, you name it.

I see alot of lashing out going on, but not much in the way of proposed solutions.

If we decide to move on from Rivers, I'm afraid its going to get much worse before it gets better. In fact I predict that to be the next HC's opening speech.

bringing in mobility to the QB position IS a proposed solution, or part of the solution.
                          just not a solution some are willing to consider.
                          moving on more rapidly and systematically from under achieving prospects at the cost of a coach’s ego is another part.
                          Looking at ways to evolve the offense are other ways to look at solutions.
                          P1. Block Destruction - Ogbonnia
                          P2. Shocking Effort - Eboigbe
                          P3. Ball Disruption - Ford
                          P4. Obnoxious Communication - Matlock

Comment

Working...
                          X