• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ChargersPowderBlue
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Aug 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post

exactly, Pipkins was nowhere ready to start (even play) but he was thrown in there and did better than expected, now shortsighted fans want to discard him after one season, he has the tools, he will improve, give him time
    Pipkins was a third rounder. He shows potential. He is worthy to be the backup swing tackle. Okung will be in the last year of his contract next year, and if he gets hurt Pipkins or someone else will have to vacate the LT spot.

Tevi and Scott definitely need to go. They are just flat out awful. Get someone from FA or the draft and have them compete with Pipkins for the RT spot.

Schofield is just okay, but nothing too special. We can move on from him.

Comment

• Steve
      Administrator
      • Jun 2013
      • South Carolina
      • Meteorologist
      • Send PM

Originally posted by ChargersPowderBlue View Post

Pipkins was a third rounder. He shows potential. He is worthy to be the backup swing tackle. Okung will be in the last year of his contract next year, and if he gets hurt Pipkins or someone else will have to vacate the LT spot.

Tevi and Scott definitely need to go. They are just flat out awful. Get someone from FA or the draft and have them compete with Pipkins for the RT spot.

Okung is getting older, had the PE scare and just had his 1st kid during the whole episode. It is possible that he might not come back next season. I sure wouldn't blame him if he decided not to.

Schofield is a guy I would like to keep for depth, but he is not a starting quality OL on a good team. He can play 4 spots, which is helpful, and he is a workman like guy, but we have to get better.

I am not sold on giving up on Scott or Tevi. There is a shortage of OL in the NFL, and we aren't going to be able to go out and get 20 or so guys for TC. I agree we need to bring in competition, but there are simply not enough reasonable OL prospects out there, unless we trade our top picks and simply keep trading back to add numbers of picks. Like it or not, the guys we have are going to be in camp next season. We just need to add new bodies to compete against them, and HOPEFULLY will be able to replace them, or move them to backup jobs.

Both struggle in space, but are athletic and can move. Scott mostly suffers from looking at his feet and then the other guy makes a move and whips him. You can see where Maxx Crosby (raiders DE) waits for that with him. If the Chargers can fix that, then he can be a very good OL. When Scott gets out in front of plays, leading, he is impressive.

Tevi just needs to do a better job of getting his body in position to start the hand to hand fighting. When he is too high and sloppy with his footwork, his punch is off and then he loses. When his footwork gets him set up and he sinks his hips, he is pretty good. But it is a guesswork on any given play which will happen.

I'm surprised that more people are not talking about getting a better OL coach. Meyer has very limited background as an NFL OL coach, and most of his career has been spent on the strength and conditioning side of things. I am not all that satisfied in his work as an OL coach. It is definitely a spot that could use an upgrade, although the best guys are already working for teams and won't be available until teams start firing coaches. Word out of Washington is that Callahan is going to get a courtesy interview and then be asked to remain as the OL coach, but probably not the OC. I am not sure I want him as the OC, but if it gets him as the OL coach, or allows us to hire a top OL coach, then so be it.

As I keep saying the number one goal of any NFL franchise has to be to develop a system of finding and developing talent. Scouting, and coaching go hand in hand. If we cannot do that (and historically we haven't), then it is a crap shoot year by year on success.

Comment

• Topcat
        AKA "Pollcat"
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by ChargersPowderBlue View Post

Agree on Tevi and Scott...but keep Scho at least for depth...

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Dec 2019
          • Send PM

I actually would like to see Telesco or the new GM; Lynn or the new HC and figure a philosophy for the type of OL they want to have. Telesco has been horrible drafting OL for the coaching staff to develop. For that reason alone, I probably fire Telesco. I would probably fire Lynn too for that matter. But as far as OL - I would like to see them build up QB - hopefully a team trades up and they get the OL from Iowa or George in the first round and as part of the trade - ship Tevi to the other team and in return get an OL from that teams roster as part of the trade package. Along with picks.

Comment

• powderblueboy
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jul 2017
            • Send PM

Originally posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post

exactly, Pipkins was nowhere ready to start (even play) but he was thrown in there and did better than expected, now shortsighted fans want to discard him after one season, he has the tools, he will improve, give him time
            No one is talking about discarding Pipkens. How much can he be relied upon next season? That's the question & the answer seems to be swing tackle/spot starter.

If problems on the interior were solved, Tevi (& Pipkens) struggles would be more manageable.

Comment

• Caslon
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Apr 2019
              • Send PM

Trent Scott has to get smarter. These past two weeks in a row he pulled up before the snap on crucial 3rd and 4th downs in the red zone. Crowd noise was not a factor.

Comment

• Steve
                Administrator
                • Jun 2013
                • South Carolina
                • Meteorologist
                • Send PM

In most cases if the player is feeling more confident about their skills, they are probably not going to jump. Scott is struggling with his technique against a player who is not (bringing his a game on every snap), so he times it as close as he can in order to get an edge, and sometimes he jumps. If his technique was better, you don't really see a lot of these problems.

The truely undisciplined guys who jump at every snap have been weeded out long before they get to the NFL.

Scott, or whoever plays OT have to get better technique, plain and simple. The problem is that the NFL is not designed to be a developmental league. NFL teams weekly practices in season are all about getting ready for the game, not about developing technique. We keep getting trapped in the same issue that we keep throwing raw (inexperienced) or sloppy (vets) into action without taking the time to develop technique, and it keeps coming back to bite us. And this is a problem about half the league has. We need to be the ones who find the solution.

Comment

• 21&500
                  Bolt Spit-Baller
                  • Sep 2018
                  • A Whale's Vajayjay
                  • CMB refugee
                  • Send PM

Scott looks limited physically to me
                  maybe that’s not the underlying issue, but he looks like he simply can’t perform the movements
                  someone in the offseason was raving about athletic he looked and I remember being super confused.
                  no hindsight, when we we’re making our initial 53, I remember excluding Scott regardless of his experience and fancy offseason video montage
                  we need better athletes at the position so we can determine quickly if the problem is between the ears or not and make an educated guess is whether or not hanging on to them is going to help his “development”
                  If enough athletes are developing regularly, change the Oline coach
                  P1. Block Destruction - Ogbonnia
                  P2. Shocking Effort - Eboigbe
                  P3. Ball Disruption - Ford
                  P4. Obnoxious Communication - Matlock

Comment

• Topcat
                    AKA "Pollcat"
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
                    Scott looks limited physically to me
                    maybe that’s not the underlying issue, but he looks like he simply can’t perform the movements
                    someone in the offseason was raving about athletic he looked and I remember being super confused.
                    no hindsight, when we we’re making our initial 53, I remember excluding Scott regardless of his experience and fancy offseason video montage
                    we need better athletes at the position so we can determine quickly if the problem is between the ears or not and make an educated guess is whether or not hanging on to them is going to help his “development”
                    If enough athletes are developing regularly, change the Oline coach
                    I thought Drango should have been kept on final 53. Drango in pass pro actually looks slightly faster in his footwork and mirror than Tevi. And Scott < Tevi, so Drango clearly would have been the better backup instead of Scott.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                      Day Tripper
                      • May 2019
                      • North of the Lagoon
                      • Send PM

our offensive line is just that = offensive. I do not get the valiant salvage projects contemplated. maybe there was hope in Week 1, we're now in Week 16 and the improvement is not there. they can't rush block, they can't pass block. I'm no expert but i've seen enough. blow it up.

Tevi - confirmed inadequate
                      Scott - confirmed inadequate
                      Feeney - confirmed inadequate
                      Lamp - wtf have we ever seen in Lamp? unreliable and inadequate
                      Scho - confirmed inadequate
                      Okung - on his last gasp, unreliable
                      Pouncey - on his last gasp, unreliable
                      Pipkins - so far inadequate, long term project for exactly how long?

what else have we got here?
                      we're now pining for Drango. that sums it up, fellas.

I also agree OL coaching = confirmed inadequate. blow that up too.
                      “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Caslon
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Apr 2019
                        • Send PM

Far be it from me to say ditch Scott. It's like you want off with his head when you see him do the same exact thing two weeks in a row at crucial times. Some better coaching and maybe he gets better. I'm only now becoming a student at comprehending O-line stuff. I've overlooked that part of the offense for decades.

Comment

• Boltgang74
                          We Are The Storm!
                          • Aug 2018
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post
                          our offensive line is just that = offensive. I do not get the valiant salvage projects contemplated. maybe there was hope in Week 1, we're now in Week 16 and the improvement is not there. they can't rush block, they can't pass block. I'm no expert but i've seen enough. blow it up.

Tevi - confirmed inadequate
                          Scott - confirmed inadequate
                          Feeney - confirmed inadequate
                          Lamp - wtf have we ever seen in Lamp? unreliable and inadequate
                          Scho - confirmed inadequate
                          Okung - on his last gasp, unreliable
                          Pouncey - on his last gasp, unreliable
                          Pipkins - so far inadequate, long term project for exactly how long?

what else have we got here?
                          we're now pining for Drango. that sums it up, fellas.

I also agree OL coaching = confirmed inadequate. blow that up too.
                          This is just how it is.Some dont wanna hear it because that means we are screwed for awhile but it's the ugly fact.Tommyjohn cannot get a respectable nfl caliber o line together period.Instead of getting a new QB we need a whole new o line,o line coach,and competent drafters of o line.Then turn our sights on D line.

Comment

Working...
                          X