• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wu-dai clan
    Smooth Operation
    • May 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

I understand Hebert, when your qb is there, you have to take him. I understand James, you couldnt pass on his talent at that point in the draft. Any of the others, I would gave been happy with an OL.

I dont believe in continually passing on players at your highest need position at the top of the draft. In any three year period, at least one of your top two picks needs to be an OL. Thats just replacement level drafting at a position of scarcity.
    We could have the Ravens OTs instead of Bosa and Nwosu.

Are you sure ?
    We do not play modern football.

Comment

• sonorajim
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

I understand Hebert, when your qb is there, you have to take him. I understand James, you couldnt pass on his talent at that point in the draft. Any of the others, I would gave been happy with an OL.

I dont believe in continually passing on players at your highest need position at the top of the draft. In any three year period, at least one of your top two picks needs to be an OL. Thats just replacement level drafting at a position of scarcity.
      2013- 1st Fluker
      2014- 3rd Watt
      2016- 3rd Tuerk
      2017- 2nd Lamp, 3rd Feeney
      2019- 3rd Pipkins

You want OL who produce in the 1st 3 rds. Lamp, Feeney, Pipkins aren't over - yet.

Comment

• sonorajim
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

There is a serious shortage of good OL in the NFL, and other teams are putting a higher priority on it than we are. Do you want to spend JuWan James type of money for JuWan James types of players ($12.75 mill per season for a 1 year wonders who were not that great even in the 1 year)?

The alternative is to draft OL high in the draft, which would have meant no Hebert or Murray in 2020 / Tillery or Adderley in 2019, no James or Nwosu in 2018.

I don't necessarily think all the blame goes on the GM. At some point, don't the coaches have some responsibility to make players better?

Guys like Feeney came in and played reasonably well for a rookie forced into the starting lineup due to the injury to Slauson. His play was not that great, but reasonably high for a rookie. Feeney simply hasn't gotten any better. Using the first point as the evaluation of the GM, I think TT did his part. I am not sure I can say the same thing about the offensive coaches.

As far as the signing goes, when you have to rely on using FA, for almost every NFL team, that means you are admitting that your drafts are not working.
        Most teams are using 1 or more FAs on their starting OL. NE and NO look like exceptions but NE appears to be developing undrafted free agents and late picks. NO has 1st-3rd NO draft picks starting. I'd guess that we need to do one or the other.
        Campen may be an asset at development. GB had mid-late rd GB draft picks, UDFAs who started & played well during his tenure.
        Draft well & develop some OL.
        Keep trying Tom!

Comment

• Topcat
          AKA "Pollcat"
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

Most teams are using 1 or more FAs on their starting OL. NE and NO look like exceptions but NE appears to be developing undrafted free agents and late picks. NO has 1st-3rd NO draft picks starting. I'd guess that we need to do one or the other.
          Campen may be an asset at development. GB had mid-late rd GB draft picks, UDFAs who started & played well during his tenure.
          Draft well & develop some OL.
          Keep trying Tom!
          Yep, hopefully Happy Campen does better at developing beef than Pat "Oscar" Meyer...

Comment

• MagicMamba88
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Sep 2019
            • Send PM

Comment

• sonorajim
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

This video speaks for itself! Good find!

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Dec 2019
                • Send PM

Jason Peters signed with the Eagles to play OG. Brooks got this offseason

Interested to see what he signed for. Chargers have the cap space.

But maybe the tape don't lie so Tevi &/or Storm are better options to back up Trey Pipkins.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                  Smooth Operation
                  • May 2017
                  • Send PM

As I predicted, Jason Peters to the Chargers
                  was never going to happen.

In the first place, my conjecture is that Chargers did not have interest, only the fans and Daniel Popper.

More importantly, my further conjecture regarding the reasons, are that Peters would not sign with anyone other than the Eagles, let alone sign with us, with Tyrod + Herbert at QB.

Such factors as cap room and position of need mean absolutely nothing if the player is not interested.

:coffee:

Comment

• sonorajim
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

We have 3 OT Telesco draft picks and a UDFA signing. Looks like they intend to take a chance on one of their own at LT.
                    Other options are still available.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Dec 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
                      As I predicted, Jason Peters to the Chargers
                      was never going to happen.

In the first place, my conjecture is that Chargers did not have interest, only the fans and Daniel Popper.

More importantly, my further conjecture regarding the reasons, are that Peters would not sign with anyone other than the Eagles, let alone sign with us, with Tyrod + Herbert at QB.

Such factors as cap room and position of need mean absolutely nothing if the player is not interested.

:coffee:
                      The chargers seriously would have had to overpay. Peters got 6m, 3m guaranteed. That is basically what I thought the Chargers should have paid him. It makes sense why he stayed - especially after the injury to their OG.

Comment

• Xenos
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Feb 2019
                        • Send PM

Interesting to see him get paid to play RG. Probably was too old to play LT on a full time basis anymore which is why he was available for so long.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                          Smooth Operation
                          • May 2017
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post
                          Interesting to see him get paid to play RG. Probably was too old to play LT on a full time basis anymore which is why he was available for so long.
                          It is easy to put lots of spin on this.

Andre Dillard--remember him ? LAC fans had a man crush and were crushed when we did not draft him. Why mention him ? He is Peters' successor at OLT in PHI. Dillard is a bust--and he has been trade bait. That's crazy-this is one year after taking him at 22 overall.

PHI must like the idea of a right side of Jason Kelce--Jason Peters--Lane Johnson, now that the great Barrett Brooks is hurt.

It's great to be talking a little football, X !

Comment

Working...
                          X