• Show
Clear All
  • richpjr
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Nashville
    • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
    How could we be not good at all and still be 12-4???
    And a Rivers brain fart/D collapse against the Broncos from being 13-3 and having home field advantage in the playoffs. We were a good team that just got to beat up and wore down at the end of the year. We are starting out beat up in a few spots but, in theory, have better depth so we should still be considered a good team even with the questions on the oline.

Comment

• blueman
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

I don't think we have those kinda brain farts, and I like our chances in big games better this year.

Comment

• richpjr
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Nashville
        • Send PM

Well at least we now know what Williams lingering injury was:

Not sure why Lynn felt the need to hide a quad injury for all of camp.

Comment

• sonorajim
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Charge! View Post

we were not good at all last year..... those yardage stats are deceptive..... PPF ratings are closer to reality......

its not about total yardage or yardage per game or yardage per carry...... its about how do chargers do at stopping the run on 3rd and one or 4th and one......and
          Chargers were horrible at that...... whenever teams needed to run they could run at will and our bad tackling also applied to little guys like edelman catching short passes then running over chargers defenders for 3 or 5 extra yards.......(see patriot game)..... we were able to stuff run against ravens in playoff game but that was because the threat of the pass was nearly zero.....

hopefully we will be better at tackling this year with Jones, tillery, Davis, and Tranquill ...... at least Davis is a sure tackler..... though we showed almost zero ability to tackle in pre season....
          Granted we didn't post a great PFF stat sheet but we did allow 5th fewest scores by a rusher in 2018. There was room for improvement, that's a fact but points being a determining factor, 5th fewest allowed makes us a solid run D overall.
          I would like to load up on top stats too. Points is a good start. I like our prospect of being significantly improved with the current front 7. Speed, experience and depth at LB will be one of the keys. We allowed 11th fewest 20+ yd runs, need that to be top 5.
          I suspect @ .500 v 3rd & 1, 4th & 1 but who knows until we go head to head in games that count a few times. We have a lot of new pieces.

Comment

• sonorajim
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

From Start 'em or Sit 'em:

vs.
            Start of the Week - Hunter Henry vs. Indianapolis Colts

Henry should return to action with a vengeance, as the talented tight end opens up with a nice home matchup against the Colts. A season ago, no defense in the league allowed more catches or receiving yards to the position, not to mention the third-most fantasy points. This is low-hanging fruit, but Henry is a great option.

Something to contemplate.

Comment

• like54ninjas
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Oct 2017
              • Great White North
              • Draftnik
              • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
              Well at least we now know what Williams lingering injury was:

Not sure why Lynn felt the need to hide a quad injury for all of camp.
              Here is another reason Dzub is on the 53
              My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
              K9
              Nasir
              Tillery
              Parham
              Reed

Comment

• Charge!
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Aug 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

Granted we didn't post a great PFF stat sheet but we did allow 5th fewest scores by a rusher in 2018. There was room for improvement, that's a fact but points being a determining factor, 5th fewest allowed makes us a solid run D overall.
                I would like to load up on top stats too. Points is a good start. I like our prospect of being significantly improved with the current front 7. Speed, experience and depth at LB will be one of the keys. We allowed 11th fewest 20+ yd runs, need that to be top 5.
                I suspect @ .500 v 3rd & 1, 4th & 1 but who knows until we go head to head in games that count a few times. We have a lot of new pieces.
                no... 5th fewest scores by rusher does not...... if the other team always gets a first down in short yardage situations between the 20's...... keeps drives alive and opens up the passing game.... then the opposition is always in redzone....

The Chargers offense is really bad at running the ball successfully on 3rd and one or 4th and one....... that loses you games against evenly matched opponents..... we could not stop NE from running or throwing short..... how many times last season did chargers lose yardage on short yardage plays?...... a lot.....

If we could correct those 2 big issues, we would have had number one seed in playoffs instead of WC..... maybe/hopefully Davis and the other new players will make a difference...... ?

Comment

• sonorajim
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Charge! View Post

no... 5th fewest scores by rusher does not...... if the other team always gets a first down in short yardage situations between the 20's...... keeps drives alive and opens up the passing game.... then the opposition is always in redzone....

The Chargers offense is really bad at running the ball successfully on 3rd and one or 4th and one....... that loses you games against evenly matched opponents..... we could not stop NE from running or throwing short..... how many times last season did chargers lose yardage on short yardage plays?...... a lot.....

If we could correct those 2 big issues, we would have had number one seed in playoffs instead of WC..... maybe/hopefully Davis and the other new players will make a difference...... ?
                  Bal at LAC & @ NE circumstances are extremely unlikely to be seen again. We have a lot more youth & depth on D. Even then, at Bal we pulled off an awesome W.
                  Regards middle of the field 1sts we were 23rd. Red zone efficiency (TDs only) 11th best. Sorry but we were not bad on avg.
                  We did allow frustrating TOP sometimes. That was last year.
                  Let's see what we can do with the new DTs & an upgraded LB crew.

Comment

• blueman
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

Rather play a DB, at least they would face half a chance.

Comment

• jamrock
                      lawyers, guns and money
                      • Sep 2017
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

Brown, Perryman and Tranquil. Already banged up. I have very little faith in Perryman's health and sturdiness. Our "thumper"???

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                        Day Tripper
                        • May 2019
                        • North of the Lagoon
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

Brown, Perryman and Tranquil. Already banged up. I have very little faith in Perryman's health and sturdiness. Our "thumper"???
                        3 LBs not able to go ... this sounds familiar ...
                        “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• AK47
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • May 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

Man we can't catch a break...err apparently we can

Comment

Working...
                          X